IGNORED

Need a replacement RF cable

I picked up a used CV the other day, got it cleaned up and working. However the RF cable is frayed on one end and will need to be replaced (I tested using one I had hooked to my 7800).

Does anyone know where I can get a get a new (or used, working) replacement? I found a couple listed as being compatible on eBay but they have an octagonal plug, which I don't think would fit without modification to the unit.

Thanks!

You just need an RF cable with an RCA connector, right? It's nothing special AFAIK, I think you could probably get away with a stereo speaker cable.

This should work for sure.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=653

It's basically this

http://www.amazon.com/Atari-Intellivision-Colecovision-2600-Turbo-Grafx/dp/B0074TWWPG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=ab60f4ece0bacab3e9593ed52a1cbc87

For some reason, not all RF cables are made equally and it's best to stick with an RF cable that was included with the CV. You could try a new one from an electronics store like Radio Shack along with a Coaxial-to-RF Adapter or just contact Yurkie... i'm sure he has plenty of them.

You need an rf cable with shielding. All old consoles and computers (Atari, Commodore, Intellivision, Colecovision, etc) came with properly shielded cables. You could also buy a shielded cable at places like Radioshack back in the day. However because these cables are obsolete today, as far as I know they are no longer made or sold. If you have an Atari or Commodore or other old console, you should just borrow the cable that came with that. You can also buy a cable on ebay, but make sure the cable is thick and looks like it is from the 70s or 80s.

RCA cables without shielding may or may not work, but the picture won't be as good if it does work.

Edited by Hannacek

You need an rf cable with shielding. All old consoles and computers (Atari, Commodore, Intellivision, Colecovision, etc) came with properly shielded cables. You could also buy a shielded cable at places like Radioshack back in the day. However because these cables are obsolete today, as far as I know they are no longer made or sold. If you have an Atari or Commodore or other old console, you should just borrow the cable that came with that. You can also buy a cable on ebay, but make sure the cable is thick and looks like it is from the 70s or 80s.

RCA cables without shielding may or may not work, but the picture won't be as good if it does work.

What about something like this? http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2680

"This Digital Coax Cable is made from premium quality RG-6/U with double copper braid shielding to prevent signal degradation caused by EMI and RFI interference. This cable is ideal for conducting S/PDIF digital audio signals and other high-bandwidth content, but it can also be used for composite video and other line level RCA signals."

NIAD is right the original does seem to work best. I have tried coaxial cable with a choke and video cables including monster brand. I probably have one around here somewhere. $5 "gift" shipped in a box if I have one. Let me know.

What about something like this? http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2680

"This Digital Coax Cable is made from premium quality RG-6/U with double copper braid shielding to prevent signal degradation caused by EMI and RFI interference. This cable is ideal for conducting S/PDIF digital audio signals and other high-bandwidth content, but it can also be used for composite video and other line level RCA signals."

Vintage rf cables work the best. You will be able to get some modern cables to work with some retro consoles.

Why not just use something you know will work? Why go through the trouble of buying modern cables and seeing if they will work? At best a modern cable will look the same as a vintage rf cable, and at worst it will be full of static, or not work at all.

If you collect retro consoles, you will probably have a bunch of rf cables lying around. If you don't have any, then you can buy them on ebay.

Vintage rf cables work the best. You will be able to get some modern cables to work with some retro consoles.

Why not just use something you know will work? Why go through the trouble of buying modern cables and seeing if they will work? At best a modern cable will look the same as a vintage rf cable, and at worst it will be full of static, or not work at all.

If you collect retro consoles, you will probably have a bunch of rf cables lying around. If you don't have any, then you can buy them on ebay.

Oh, I have a closet full of them! lol I was just more curious to see if there was a modern replacement as it's something that other people have asked me.