IGNORED

Remember Fidonet & the TI-Echo?

Omega-TI

On 3/31/2020 at 8:04 PM, Ed in SoDak said:

I called into Fidonet seeking TI-anything BITD, but it was very fiscally irresponsible for me to dial into any BBS long-distance from the opposite of the state.

PC-Pursuit was your friend, but the double time packet delays were maddening! 

5 hours ago, INVISIBLE said:

PC-Pursuit was your friend

I used that later on Delphi and AOL. I don't know if PC-Pursuit existed back then. I sure wasn't aware of it in any case. When first dipping my toes into the datastream in '85 or '86, this was my only dial-out option. Paying Ma Bell by the minute to connect, there's nothing like the slowest connection going to make one think twice about putting a "1" in front of the BBS number.

-Ed

SoFast.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ed in SoDak said:

I used that later on Delphi and AOL. I don't know if PC-Pursuit existed back then. I sure wasn't aware of it in any case. When first dipping my toes into the datastream in '85 or '86, this was my only dial-out option. Paying Ma Bell by the minute to connect, there's nothing like the slowest connection going to make one think twice about putting a "1" in front of the BBS number.

-Ed

I think you may be right about the time frame.  I don't remember using PC-Pursuit until I had my Practical Peripherals 2400 baud so that puts it at about 1987-1988.  I remember writing an article for the clubs newsletter comparing dial up prices, but here are a few snippets I had put into a newsletter on PC-Pursuit in March of 89.

SNIP 1.JPG

SNIP 2.JPG

SNIP 3.JPG

16 hours ago, rbinkerd said:

I ended up running Opus. Loved the terminology! Wazoo file Transfer with the zedzap protocol!

WaZOO (Warp-zillion Opus-to-Opus) to make Fidonet more efficient. It included ZModem as the file transfer mechanism -- which brought the efficiency of Opus networking up to 98% - 100%.

To establish the connection, I designed YooHoo and YooHoo/2U2 --

• YooHoo. When a WaZOO system called another BBS, it said "YooHoo" by sending a special packet of data that could be recognized by another WaZOO system. But "YooHoo" would be ignored by an older Fidonet system.

• YooHoo/2U2. A WaZOO system that received a "YooHoo" packet sent a reply packet called "YooHoo/2U2".
  • Like 1

I surely remember PC-Pursuit. I used it on my Opus BBS all the time. It was great that we had coders out there that wrote extensive batch files to get everything all connected. The one and only time I made it to the TI Fair in Chicago, I went representing PC-Pursuit. I begged them out of some money for a booth and got promotional material from them. Was a lot of fun and I got to meet so many people that I had "known" through Compuserver and various TI related BBSs.

• Like 1