IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season #7 - Game 8 Happy Trails

I guess you can learn the game, thats what I don't like about it. I would need to play it for weeks to get just close to gezkc, so I dont want to take away his earned lead. But imo its not a good HSC game, because its mostly based on experience in a bad way. If you really want to, you just learn how to move all the panels, like a Rubiks Cube.

I am at 13k right now, I will try to find some time tomorrow to crack the 20k at least, but its definitely not my cup of tea.

I guess you can learn the game, thats what I don't like about it. I would need to play it for weeks to get just close to gezkc, so I dont want to take away his earned lead. But imo its not a good HSC game, because its mostly based on experience in a bad way. If you really want to, you just learn how to move all the panels, like a Rubiks Cube.

I am at 13k right now, I will try to find some time tomorrow to crack the 20k at least, but its definitely not my cup of tea.

That's the case with any game really though - the more you play them, the better you get.

A lot of the best games have techniques or patterns that need to be learned to get higher scores - Lock n Chase, Burgertime, etc etc. Happy Trails isn't unique in that respect.

Don't give up on it yet. It's a great game. :)

• Like 3

its not a good HSC game, because its mostly based on experience in a bad way. If you really want to, you just learn how to move all the panels, like a Rubiks Cube.

What are you saying ? ^^ It's perfect for HSC game ! And it's really easier that Ribiks cube ;)

• Like 3

That's the case with any game really though - the more you play them, the better you get.

True, but in good games you get better scores, because you improve your kind of playing ;) If you read the Pac Man thread I totally agree that other games are similar, but I also don't like them, because I do not like to improve by memorizing the pattern to move, I like to improve because I understand the enemies and improve my skill to control the game.

I don't know if I can explain it very well, but I could play the first screen of Happy Trails completely blind with a perfect score, just because its exactly the same to do over and over. In fact its the same on other screens, they just are more complicated and so you have to grind a lot to figure the best routes out. If you compare it to Games like Dragonfire, Ice Trek or similar games you cant even pass a single screen blind, because its not exactly the same, its different each time.

That said, there is a very thin line between good and bad randomness. Lady Bug had a lot of bad randomness, because by randomness you could just miss lives or big points. Sometimes the game also hide the last item to collect behind two skulls and you cant even reach it without help of the insects. For me games like Dragonfire (if we count out the black dragon, which is a result of bad programming) also have a kind of randomness, because they place the items on different places, but its much more fair and a better game to compete in.