IGNORED

Pocket Atari v2.1 commission

lovablechevy

completed May 28, 2016

this is my first commission for ntavio from here: Pocket Atari v2.1. he wanted red buttons and the optional paddle controller.

*video will be inserted once it's uploaded and available*

85%20-%20final%20front%20on_zpsszo2czu5.

86%20-%20final%20front%20off_zpsknpgx0ru

87%20-%20final%20label_zpsybcvuwrc.jpg

*top label pic coming later*

88%20-%20final%20brightness%20color_zpsh

89%20-%20final%20ports_zpsccgfx2dt.jpg

90%20-%20final%20volume_zpszqtn0ngc.jpg

94%20-%20final%20centipede_zpsauknpnzn.j

92%20-%20final%20angled_zpsij5vvgvz.jpg

95%20-%20final%20paddle_zpsppatmttx.jpg

93%20-%20final%20yars_zps7hzxjnv9.jpg

specs:

system – Atari Flashback 2

screen - 2.5" "zate" screen with audio amp

power – 2 3.7v li-ion 700 mAh batteries (3.5 hours with volume at medium level)

case – frankencased Atari 2600 cart

controller – buttons are from a wii controller, board is from some plug and play console used in my HandyPNP

random tidbits – case has custom made sticker, custom single player paddle port, and difficulty switch

a few measurements of the system:

weight of portable – 5 ounces

thickness – 13/16"

height – 3 13/16”

length – 3 3/16”

this project was a pain in the butt. i possibly killed 1 screen and 2 2nd revision flashback 2s. i say possibly cuz i've not done all the testing i can possibly do to see if they are still working or not. it took me exactly 5 weeks, due to having to wait for additional flashback 2s to make it to me in the mail.

i still have to make 1 more test system before i can open up for full orders. i have a set of 3d printed buttons on the way to me, and a new screen to test. the next Pocket Atari i build, will be with these items, to make sure i can actually keep making these for people. if anyone is interested obtaining their own, keep an eye out for my next one to be posted. that's when you'll know i can take on orders. :)

Edited by lovablechevy
  • Like 9

sorry, i had that in my last Pocket Atari thread and just forgot to put it in this one.

they will be selling for:

$175 shipped (in continental USA) with NO optional paddle controller

$200 shipped (in continental USA) with optional paddle controller

you will be able to purchase if not in continental USA, i just ask you pay for the shipping. :)

also, is there a reason i can't edit my first post? i want to add my video and one more picture... but the edit option isn't even there.

since i can't seem to get it to edit... i'll just place them here...

91%20-%20final%20top%20label_zpseifxdadc

Edited by lovablechevy
  • Like 3

If possible you should look into die cut labels as those taped laminate ones take away from your otherwise cosmetically well done work.

this won't be happening for many reasons. here are the main reasons:

1 - it costs far too much and would add a lot to the commission fee

2 - i only need one label at a time, and it would be nearly impossible to order only 1 at a time from a printing company; and if they would, it'd be extortion pricess

3 - i only print one at a time because i let the buyers choose their button color, and i print the labels to match - this means i can't stock pile, or i'll end up paying for a lot of product i'll never use

4 - the tape protects my signature and date on the front, so i'd still be taping the die cut label anyways, making it all extremely pointless. my signature is part of the warranty.

1 - it costs far too much and would add a lot to the commission fee

2 - i only need one label at a time, and it would be nearly impossible to order only 1 at a time from a printing company; and if they would, it'd be extortion pricess

3 - i only print one at a time because i let the buyers choose their button color, and i print the labels to match - this means i can't stock pile, or i'll end up paying for a lot of product i'll never use

4 - the tape protects my signature and date on the front, so i'd still be taping the die cut label anyways, making it all extremely pointless. my signature is part of the warranty.

Die cut label sheets for the atari 2600 are $1.99 a sheet even for just one sheet. 4 labels (front and end). And it costs a whole $2 to get them laser printed from the store that sells the die cut sheets. Clearly you have not done any homework on sourcing professional labels. Shame about that as it's clear you have a very uneducated view on what costs are involved . If you decide to spend the nominal amount on die cuts, here is a guy that is well known and priced to sell. For the amount of "commission" money you are charging it's the least you could do.

EDIT: My bad, it's only $1 to get the sheet laser printed.

Edited by Shawn

Alternate is glossy labels from a local printer. Get the printer to cut them, or cut them yourself. If you want/need rounded corners, maybe the printer can do that too, or try scrapbooking tools. A couple of dollars or so for about 6 labels.

you both seem to be completely skipping over this very important reason, here. i will not be switching how i do my labels. those who buy them, are happy with the look. and they kind of want my warranty.

i'm sorry you think that it ruins the entire look of the build.

also, the vast majority of the fee goes to parts. i barely make $2 per hour of my work when making these, fyi.

Edited by lovablechevy

There's other solutions for the signature, too. ;)

Anyway, I was just pointing out an alternative for you to think about, based on my experience. I've seen the range from labels printed on $30 inkjet printers to labels printed on million dollar tools. Not that there's anything wrong with either of those solutions, but personally, I prefer to use my local printer with some good label stock, for a mostly great mix of price, quality, and speed. What you prefer and what you do are your choice, of course, and maybe the plastic coating is best for a device that will be handled more often than a cartridge.

you both seem to be completely skipping over this very important reason, here. i will not be switching how i do my labels. those who buy them, are happy with the look. and they kind of want my warranty.

i'm sorry you think that it ruins the entire look of the build.

also, the vast majority of the fee goes to parts. i barely make $2 per hour of my work when making these, fyi.

$2 an hour? I'm so sorry to hear it takes you so long to do such a project. Obviously that is many, many hours on your part taking into account the low cost of all the parts involved versus the price you are selling them at. It's ok, keep at it and I'm sure you will get better at soldering and using a dremil\drill press.

I wonder if using a volume like dial on the side of the unit would work for duplicating a paddle....

I'm gonna venture a guess the OP will come back with something like how hard that will be and how it's going to add a fortune to the "commission" rate. :roll:

I wonder if using a volume like dial on the side of the unit would work for duplicating a paddle....

that may be a possibility. i honestly hadn't even thought of that. hmmm..... i'll have to mess around with that and see if that will work! thanks for the idea! if i can get it to work, it'll also make the price just the $175, as the additional $25 was to purchase paddles, micro usb cable, and the micro usb port.

Edited by lovablechevy

Wow,

Great Job!!!! I can't wait to order one. Did you choose the Flashback 2 because it is the most accurate Atari of the flashbacks or the easiest to work with?

I think it looks great as is. I would love to see the built in paddle (pot) if possible. If your using the FB2 seems like those cartridge points are wasted, any thought in adding external cartridge connector?

Thank you for your hard work on this project!

Wow,

Great Job!!!! I can't wait to order one. Did you choose the Flashback 2 because it is the most accurate Atari of the flashbacks or the easiest to work with?

I think it looks great as is. I would love to see the built in paddle (pot) if possible. If your using the FB2 seems like those cartridge points are wasted, any thought in adding external cartridge connector?

Thank you for your hard work on this project!

I highly recommend buying one and Sharon is fantastic! She is meticulous and precise with the cuts in the Pocket Atari casing (which is an actual Atari 2600 cartridge). The entire thing looks great. She keeps you abreast of her progress by sending constant emails and pictures. Overall it was a pleasant experience. And the final product has given me hours of Atari fun.

• Like 1

A cart slot on a cart would be pretty ironic. :)

It would be kinda interesting to maybe have the cart slot on the bottom of one of these and have the carts plug in there, but I was actually thinking of something more like what is shown in this video:

Of course, the orange color is pretty tragic. If it could be done in wood grain . . .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

That is utterly awesome work. It's so itty. :)

Yes, people do find it easy to find fault in others, unfortunately, even in the most well-intentioned or superlative causes / efforts. Then again, we all miss-speak sometimes or say things that could be misinterpreted in like kind and should be given some grace that our intentions are well. Some personalities types seem to have a manner of collecting ill-will, though or carrying it with them. *shrug*

• 1 month later...