IGNORED

Atari Flashback Classics for the XB1/PS4

I'd rather such compilations support the keypad attachments that both the XB1 and the PS4 offer, with a virtual overlay to the right or left of the 4:3 display area on your tv so that you know corresponds to what (For instances when it's not just a regular number that you're inputting).

I could see the touch pad working well for B-17 with your four gun positions. Past about four distinct functions though and I don't see it working so well, especially during gameplay.

Edited by Atariboy

I was locked out of my account for many days due to an email anomaly, so sorry for not responding to anything on these forums sooner. I'm obviously back now.

More volumes are already in the works, with potentially more than a couple being released a various points in 2017. While Intellivision and ColecoVision volumes are a possibility, they're not in the planning stages at this time, so, at best, that might be a 2018 thing. I wouldn't necessarily count on it, though.

We're also taking a wait and see approach with the Switch since it's being released at an odd time. If it does well (and I personally don't see why it wouldn't), expect support in 2018.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 1

Why is Amazon shipping so much later for these initial releases?

The physical releases were delayed by a few weeks, unfortunately, which kind of threw off the whole distribution schedule. Things should be fully back on track in early November. I believe part of the issue was a delay in certifications by Sony and Microsoft.

I'd rather such compilations support the keypad attachments that both the XB1 and the PS4 offer, with a virtual overlay to the right or left of the 4:3 display area on your tv so that you know corresponds to what (For instances when it's not just a regular number that you're inputting).

I could see the touch pad working well for B-17 with your four gun positions. Past about four distinct functions though and I don't see it working so well, especially during gameplay.

This I think is the key. Ironically, the subject was in fact brought up a few days ago, but the issue always goes back to how best to replicate the controls on a PS4 or Xbox One controller. The analog sticks would work fine to replicate the controller, and there are enough buttons to replicate the two and three buttons on the respective original consoles, but the keypads become an issue.

This I think is the key. Ironically, the subject was in fact brought up a few days ago, but the issue always goes back to how best to replicate the controls on a PS4 or Xbox One controller. The analog sticks would work fine to replicate the controller, and there are enough buttons to replicate the two and three buttons on the respective original consoles, but the keypads become an issue.

Right, and you will quickly shrink the pool of potential buyers if you make the chat pad a requirement. Maybe it can be an option if you have one.

Right, and you will quickly shrink the pool of potential buyers if you make the chat pad a requirement. Maybe it can be an option if you have one.

The chat pad thing is not an option in my opinion, not only because of the vanishingly small user base, but also because it's still not an ideal layout to replicate a keypad. All that really gets you is more buttons, which is technically not an issue on the stock gamepads.

I almost wonder (aloud) if the second analog stick can somehow take the place of (most of) the keypad when it's really needed? Thinking about many of the Intellivision games, though, that's probably a recipe for confusion.

There are several companion apps for many PS4 and XBOX games. They run on android and iPhone devices.

It would be another thing to develop for and support, but would be a neat way to implement keypads and overlays in addition to the software pop-up menu we saw in Intellivision Lives a few console generations back. It's even about the right size on smartphones.

Or update this official but silly Intellivision soundboard app to work as a remote, and stick some promos in there while you're at it. IntelliSound by Realtime Associates, Inc.

https://appsto.re/us/WQRN2.i

Intellivision Lives for the DS is flawed, but the way it brings the old-style touch controller to us with overlays and everything is super nice.

• Like 1

I was locked out of my account for many days due to an email anomaly, so sorry for not responding to anything on these forums sooner. I'm obviously back now.

More volumes are already in the works, with potentially more than a couple being released a various points in 2017. While Intellivision and ColecoVision volumes are a possibility, they're not in the planning stages at this time, so, at best, that might be a 2018 thing. I wouldn't necessarily count on it, though.

We're also taking a wait and see approach with the Switch since it's being released at an odd time. If it does well (and I personally don't see why it wouldn't), expect support in 2018.

Are AtGames and Atari planning a Jaguar/Lynx compilation, or 5200/7800 compilations? I think you need to branch out from 2600 stuff. I'm buying V1 & 2 though, I'm just hoping for more variety in future installments.

Edited by Nall3k

Are AtGames and Atari planning a Jaguar/Lynx compilation, or 5200/7800 compilations? I think you need to branch out from 2600 stuff. I'm buying V1 & 2 though, I'm just hoping for more variety in future installments.

I strongly second the idea, but I strongly suspect that licensing issues would make the pool of available titles way too small for a commercially viable product. I mean, how popular would a compilation of mostly sports games be?

I suppose that AtGames could follow the same model that they used with the Colecovision Flashback, and pad out the list with homebrew titles, but those have no nostalgia value.

Since both the PS4 and Xbone have USB ports you should consider support for the USB based keypads such as these:

22-Keys-Multifunction-USB-Numeric-font-b

Not perfect but will at least give some degree of keypad functionality. Of course, keypad functions should be emulated through the joypad as best as possible since not everybody will try to get these keypads.

Other platforms are being explored in future volumes, yes. Specifics beyond that I'm not allowed to provide, but people tired of the same Atari 2600 and arcade stuff should be happy for the most part.

• Like 1

Bill, if you have any insight, will there be an update for the ps4 version that addresses the timing issues people like myself are experiencing? For example, in Adventure, moving the player in any direction shows a pretty regular stutter.

Sorry, I don't have any insight into the developer side of things at this stage.

I think a lot of Colecovision and Intellivision classics could get by just with a logical remapping of the buttons.

Quite a few games didn't make real use of the keypad during gameplay and most of those that did, didn't utilize more than perhaps 5-6 buttons at the most. So typically there will be ample buttons on a stock controller to handle the needs of the average game.

The trick is just in clearly showing what button each key function during gameplay is assigned to. So you'd of course need a well designed virtual overlay of sorts in the pillarboxing area on either side of the screen that shows what button on the controller that a particular gameplay function is mapped to (And an ability to customize it to your liking, if you don't like the default button mappings).

And with the press of a shift button, the virtual overlay could transform into something like we had with Intellivision Lives a few generations ago, for the setup screens where you're inputting numerical values and such with the analog stick.

Edited by Atariboy

There are several companion apps for many PS4 and XBOX games. They run on android and iPhone devices.

It would be another thing to develop for and support, but would be a neat way to implement keypads and overlays in addition to the software pop-up menu we saw in Intellivision Lives a few console generations back. It's even about the right size on smartphones.

Or update this official but silly Intellivision soundboard app to work as a remote, and stick some promos in there while you're at it. IntelliSound by Realtime Associates, Inc.

https://appsto.re/us/WQRN2.i

Intellivision Lives for the DS is flawed, but the way it brings the old-style touch controller to us with overlays and everything is super nice.

I think these are good ideas, and it isn't even necessary to create a dedicated "companion app". The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One already have "second screen" support at the OS level, with companion apps on Android and iOS (PS Vita can also be used with the PS4). They could easily offer the option to use a smartphone, tablet, or Vita as a numeric keypad substitute. Since the Vita has physical controls, you could use the Vita completely as a controller for the PS4 game.

• Like 2

I think these are good ideas, and it isn't even necessary to create a dedicated "companion app". The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One already have "second screen" support at the OS level, with companion apps on Android and iOS (PS Vita can also be used with the PS4). They could easily offer the option to use a smartphone, tablet, or Vita as a numeric keypad substitute. Since the Vita has physical controls, you could use the Vita completely as a controller for the PS4 game.

That and what others have suggested are all valid ideas, but, from a business standpoint, you simply can't take an already niche product and make it even more niche. Options are great, but also add to development costs, and, if only 1 - 5% of an already small ownership base is going to make use of it, it just doesn't make sense.

If we ever did pursue an Intellivision/ColecoVision Flashback Volume, I'm convinced it would have to make do with an intelligent UI and the stock controllers. It's just not something I'm comfortable in recommending at this time, though.

• Like 1