IGNORED

Getting a good Windows 98 gaming PC...

So I saw a YouTube video from someone who has an IBM Aptiva, running Windows 98, with a Pentium II that runs at 400MHz. I've seen other brands of Windows 98 PCs that have the Pentium II, BUT it's running at a lower speed then 400MHz-would there be any way for me to get one and mess with the clock speed somehow? I don't see how I could, unless the PC has some kind of turbo switch, like an old Gateway 2000.

So I saw a YouTube video from someone who has an IBM Aptiva, running Windows 98, with a Pentium II that runs at 400MHz. I've seen other brands of Windows 98 PCs that have the Pentium II, BUT it's running at a lower speed then 400MHz-would there be any way for me to get one and mess with the clock speed somehow? I don't see how I could, unless the PC has some kind of turbo switch, like an old Gateway 2000.

They have slower Pentium 2s, but you can also use the SLOWMO program, unless the games you're trying to run need to be in Windows 98.

• Like 1

Haven't people also tried disabling CPU caches in order to slow the system? I might be remembering 100% incorrectly but I thought some have done that.

That definitely does it, I also do that on my 486 DLC. The neat thing is that on that processor (a Texas Instruments / Cyrix 486 chip), enabling the cache is simply done by running an executable... so I just don't run it when I boot the computer up.

For the P2s... you can always usually disable those in the BIOS.

Edited by 82-T/A

They have slower Pentium 2s, but you can also use the SLOWMO program, unless the games you're trying to run need to be in Windows 98.

. OK, where do I get the SLOWMO program from? And what if I need to speed up the Pentium II?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure why everyone is worried about their clock speeds the only speed dependent point in IBM PC history was the 4.77 mhz machines

You take code from one of those and run it on even a 7 or 8 mhz xt and it's going to be bindingly fast. Pretty much ever since then its been a non issue or else your game running on a 66mhZ 486 would be a blur compared to the 386 20mhz base spec.

Unless one is just a pathetic programmer Delta time tween frames is a standard in PC game programming

Edited by Osgeld

Not sure why everyone is worried about their clock speeds the only speed dependent point in IBM PC history was the 4.77 mhz machines

You take code from one of those and run it on even a 7 or 8 mhz xt and it's going to be bindingly fast. Pretty much ever since then its been a non issue or else your game running on a 66mhZ 486 would be a blur compared to the 386 20mhz base spec.

Unless one is just a pathetic programmer Delta time tween frames is a standard in PC game programming

I just don't want to get a Windows 98 Pentium II computer where the Windows 98 games, and the older games, run too slow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK, where do I get the SLOWMO program from? And what if I need to speed up the Pentium II?

http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/

I wish that was the case... but there are a lot of DOS-based games that are basically unplayable when going from say... a 386 to a Pentium 2.

There were quite a few of the earlier VGA Sierra games, including Space Quest 1 remake, Space Quest 4, and some of the Kings Quest Games that simply will not allow you to do certain things because of the speed. And then there are other games that have "timing" issues that are based on the clock cycle... like Ultima 6, or Ultima 7... where night/day comes and goes just standing around.

Seems like most of the games from 1989-1992 had this issue... it's like the programmers assumed we'd never double speeds from then on out almost every year.