IGNORED

Super Mario Bros. 2 (J) Turns 30 today

In Japan of cource, Love this game even know it kicked my ass most of the time

The first time I played this when it was released on the Super Mario All Stars Cart, I got to 8-3..I never finished the Game, I don't know why

Got the SNES cart, NES Repro, GBC version, Famicom Mini version and the 3DS VC version

What is your memory of the Game?

• Like 1

I first knew it as The Lost Levels on Super Mario All-Stars. I had no idea at the time it was actually the original version of Super Mario Bros. 2 that never came out here. I also remember thinking it was REALLY hard, and that it seemed weird it would be so much harder than the first SMB.

I got a repro cart some years back for NES.

First time I played it was in 1993. I got Super Mario All-Stars for Christmas and I wanted that game due to "The Lost Levels". I wanted to try it out and challenge it. I first heard of it in 1992 when reading the Mario Mania magazine.

It took me a couple of days to beat the entire game (D-4) as I did it without warping just to explore everything. And also the turtle hopping trick in 1-1 helps too. Some of the levels are fun to play and some are rediculously hard due to the crazy level designs. But I find it to be a fun game to play if I am in the mood for a good challenge. It is more of a hack than a true sequel.

I own it for Mario All-Stars for the SNES, A repro NES cart, the disc for the Famicom Disk System, Super Mario Deluxe for Game Boy Color, and on the Virtual Console for the Wii. I prefer the 8 bit version over the 16 bit. A funny note is you access worlds A-D by beating 8-4 or 9-4 if you warp or not in the SNES version. But have to complete 8-4 8 times in the 8 bit version as you get 1 star for completion and as you get 8 you hold A + Start to access.

Great game but so damn difficult. Still have never beat it. I generally get too frustrated and give up. Have the original FDS as well as the GBA cart (Famicom mini series) and the "Lost Levels" on the SNES. Also I apparently have it on GBC on Super Mario Deluxe. I never knew it was on there until reading about it on this thread. :ponder: Just looked it up and seen that a score of 300k on the original 85 game is required in order to unlock it. Interesting.

Not official. Recent reproduction of hacked SMB2 ROM, probably from original pirated SMB2 cart. The genuine original SMB2j only came on Famicom disks.

I had a pirated SMB2j, it was in a red cart that used Famicom connector but it was huge, almost NES sized cart with 4 or 5 EPROM and a few PAL chips. Sold it long ago to someone in Hawaii. (and right after eBay decided it wasn't legit and yanked the auction but I was already paid and it was already shipped)