IGNORED

New member, and allready a question (sio2arduino)

16/32

I agree, Ricortes. Another thing I didn't see in the code is what version of the IDE they used to compile the code or some preprocessor check that alerts the users they they might run into issues if they don't use a specific version of the IDE to compile. I know there is a certain level of knowledge that is expected when compiling code but there doesn't have to be if you do like you said and do a little defensive coding. I'm getting the impression and the IDE are combined. I'm not use to that so I was wondering why new versions of the IDE were making any difference.

Also, no one answer my question why those who have had success compiling the app can't just provide 16/32 with the executable.

Also, no one answer my question why those who have had success compiling the app can't just provide 16/32 with the executable.

When you compile, the IDE produces a HEX file, which is then uploaded to the Arduino to program the chip (using a program called avrdude). The syntax for doing this is far from memorable, and I suspect it's also different depending on exactly what version of the arduino you are using.. can't remember just now since its been a while since I've done it that way.

Also, the project has a Config.h which lets you choose how the project is configured e.g. with minimal added hardware you can use it like SDRIVE, using the Atari to choose which disks get mounted, or you can configure it with a LCD + pushbuttons. So without knowing exactly what hardware the original poster want to use, its a bit pointless offering a binary.

The reason why different versions of the IDE are causing problems is probably that they are using different versions of gcc. I often find that a newer version of gcc will moan about things that a previous version was quite happy with.

Edited by electrotrains

I played a little bit with the *.ino file.

Let´s assume the guy who programmed the arduino file

knew what he was doing. At some point, things have changed

somehow, but the arduino file...

Let´s have a look at some errors I got, compiling the arduino file.

post-38469-0-84329500-1465240396_thumb.jpg

He is calling a function, that he did not "included" before...

So my guess is, the author of the Sd_Fat / SdFatUtil.h

seperated some of the functions, melted in an earlier

version.

(See Picture)

For example "SDvolume.h". You can see, he is calling that function,

but he loaded just #include <SdFat.h> and #include <SdFatUtil.h>

So my guess is, "SDvolume.h" was included in that functions

before.

Stefan

Edited by Stefan Both

Hi people, after trying chancing and testing is still won't work.. :? so i decided to leave the arduino for what is is.. and ordered myself a sio2sd.

The arduino2sd seemed like a better and smaller solution for sd on a Atari 8bit, but i just could't get it tho work properly and really started to get on my nerve.. in future i will try this again, and hopefully someday i will get it to work.

Why i ordered a sio2sd? Because i'm working on an old schematic for a pbi to midi in out thru interface i found in an old computer magazine, and i need software for testing it! For this moment i only have an old tape recorder, and the software i need for this is still on paper :)

So anyway thanks for all people who (realy tried hard) to get this problem fixed for me!

• 4 months later...

Having a look around (mainly as I'm planning on continuing to hack my sio2arduino), it looks like the SDFat library has had major changes over the last couple of years. These totally change the entire class structure of the library, and even changing class method names. These include the ones seen - so changing the SdVolume class to FATVolume, and going from getFilename to getName. Really idiotic thing to do with a library.

For people who want to use the 'current' version of the base sio2arduino, you need something like the Dec 2013 version of the SDFat library. At least that worked without issues for me. Of course, this early version will break the abcbarryn version of the sio2arduino library (which uses an in-between version of SDFat before they removed SdVolume). Ugh!

I'm going to have a play around and see if I can update this to work with the latest SDFat, and be able to finally handle directories, alphabetical sorting, and a fully working previous disk functionality. If I get any results, I'll do a fork on github and send all the results. If not, then in the meantime, try to get hold of the old SDFat lib. If that's off the face of the net, I should have it on an old drive which I could upload somewhere.

Anyway - yeah, this is the annoying nature of badly maintained code!

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

I am trieing for two years to compile the SIO2ARDUINO and swappinaround with the versions of the incudes.H

Every timei get another error. Missing filers or redefinithion or other errors. Looking on internet gives me NO clearity.

Only other people whomadethe SIO2Arduino with succes.

Is there someone who has A zipfile with ALL the necessary files ,or a clue tho moke it work.

I have the SIO2ARDUINO-Master form Github.

SIO2Arduino has been obsoleted by SDriveMax. Having said that, IIRC you need an older version of the Arduino Ide and an older version of the sdfat library. I also vaguely remember a patch to get the code to compile with a version of sdfat that was available at the time I was testing it, but that is more than 6 years ago and I am unable to locate it at the moment.

Personally I don't think it's worth the hassle to get SIO2Arduino working. A lot of the available (disk) images do not work in my experiences with it. The SDriveMax has a lot more features and is quite stable. And there are some cool cases available for it that you can print yourself if you own a 3D printer.

I've had a look at this and after some time I still can't get this to compile, things have changed since this

was written, some functions don't exist for example card.begin is now card.init and the parameters are

reversed, I get the impression there's not enough info to build this today without a ton of effort and as

@SenorRossie says, it's just not worth the effort

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Harrie said:

OKÉ thanks for the reaction. Can i use the Sdrive Max without a display? They are expensive.

That would be quite hard to do (but not impossible). There are cheap displays available in China, ie:

2.8 Inch TFT Touch LCD  ILI9341
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqq0U5b

(there are tons of these for sale, this is just an example). If you search the forum, or check the Sdrive Max page (https://atari8bit.net/tutorials/de-re-sdrive-max/), you'll find more compatible screens that are affordable and may be available locally. 

Good luck!