IGNORED

Nobody Cares About Intellivision

Maybe you knew more kids when you were a kid yourself, but the United States birth-per-woman average was never quite that high, see here for data. But you're right, there weren't as many things competing with it for attention -- it was pretty much down to Intellivision, an Atari VCS, or nothing. $300 in 1980 bucks felt like $900 today, that's a very expensive toy. I didn't have one until much later, when I found one on clearance at a drugstore for $40 and carried it home on my bicycle.

Too bad you couldn't get your girl friends to play Intellivision with you. :P

Didn't we all grow up on Brady Bunch, Partridge Family, and Eight is Enough (any more shows with large families?)?

I had 3 siblings, but I was the only one to play video games.

I was the only intellivision owner in my neighborhood for 2 years. All the other kids had 2600's.

That kind of shows my point. It may be true today that no body cares about the Intellivision relative to other more popular retro consoles but I don't think that indicates that no body cares in the sense that the interest in it has dropped at a faster rate than other retro consoles because even back in the day no body cared about it relative to other retro consoles. Everyone that once owned an Intellivision don't all care for it anymore, everyone that once owned an Atari 2600 don't all care about it anymore, everyone that once owned an NES don't all care about it anymore, etc. That is why we are all a niche group of gamers that get our own title of retro gamers because we are the minority that still cares. However, if you listed all the retro consoles from the most popular to the least and compared it to how they were ranked back in the day then both lists would look pretty close. In other words, Pat would have been more accurate if he said,"No body cares about collecting retro consoles but out of those no bodies the percentage of them that cares about collecting for the Intellivision is about the same as it always was."

Anyway, I'm struggling with their advice about which systems are easiest to collect for because they switch their criteria and don't consider all involved with collecting for each. They say Game Boy/ Color is easy but not CIB because it doesn't exist but I see plenty on eBay CIB so that isn't accurate and based on what prices I see it doesn't look very cheap. Then with Atari 2600 they make it seem like it is as simple as buying 400 to 500 games for $5 but this time CIB and ignoring rarity like Air Raid CIB and other holy grails that they didn't do with the Game Boy/ Color when they were talking about how it doesn't have many holy grails and the ones it does have are cheap. If they are going to go from loose to complete, to grails to no grails, and so forth then it seem like they are answering more,"What is the easiest way to collect for each system?" than,"Which systems are easiest to collect for?"

^ There's no "one answer" in this hobby. Some systems are easy to collect CIB for, some nearly impossible. Some systems you can get 30-40% of the library pretty cheap, some you can get 70-80% of the library before it gets expensive. And there's every shade of grey in between.

The real answer is to collect what you enjoy - whether that's playing, displaying, just plain owning, whatever. This is supposed to be fun, not a chore. There aren't "rules" or "guidelines". Most of these self-styled "experts" tend to be so myopic that their advice isn't really worth all that much.

• Like 2

Honestly, I couldn't give a crap what a couple of clowns have to say about something they clearly know very little about.

Actually, even if they were the video game historian/archivist equivalent of Indiana Jones, I still wouldn't care!

I was just trying to get Eric to chime in on something others may actually agree with him on! Guess he has other shit to bitch about instead.

Oh well, I tried :)

Getting girlfriends to play Intellivision back in the day.... I can't even get my wife to play... less a few games of Christmas Carol in December, and she supports me in my hobby's!

Though she tells me she would play vectrex if we had one. I have never tried one, but she had one as a kid and loved it!

I have to say, I dropped a bunch of quarters into Gravitar and Luner Lander back in the day. Oh, and of course Asteroids. Though I am certain these games aren't available for the vectrex..

• Like 1

I was a little before that...The Monkeys. We played with sticks.

Didn't we all grow up on Brady Bunch, Partridge Family, and Eight is Enough (any more shows with large families?)?

I had 3 siblings, but I was the only one to play video games.

• Like 2

I have to say, I dropped a bunch of quarters into Gravitar and Luner Lander back in the day. Oh, and of course Asteroids. Though I am certain these games aren't available for the vectrex..

There's actually a nice Lunar Lander-style game for the Vectrex called Moon Lander. The Gravitar clone is called Gravitrex. MineStorm is the built-in game and a is clone of Asteroids. I wish I had a Vectrex; the emulators just aren't the same.

Getting girlfriends to play Intellivision back in the day.... I can't even get my wife to play... less a few games of Christmas Carol in December, and she supports me in my hobby's!

You got your wife to play Christmas Carol I'm December? Very well done, and good for you, mate!

My wife won't touch it. Whenever I ask her to at least give it a chance she says...

"I don't have to..."

( * _ * )

( * _ * )>⌐◼-◼

(⌐◼_◼)

"I've lived it."

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1