IGNORED

Would you buy a new Atari Console focused on homebrews and indie games?

That's true on the base level but hardware can be and is special, which is why we dive into it and is what makes the software and overall experience unique. Right?

I guess, if it's something truly unique, like how the Atari VCS uses the old TV technology of its time, "racing the beam," but that technology has been dropped, for valid reasons. Vector monitors are cool too.

In a way, yes. There is an ineffable quality to, say, a small, simple, single-board computer of the 70's or 80's running a game. Difficult to transcribe into text, just go experience it instead.

I like how the Atari/Coleco/Intellivision/Sega Flashback units have a tiny little single-board computer as well. I don't know if I'd be able to tell the difference between a good simulation and the real thing if I didn't have a chance to look inside.

The single-board computers of the 70's, like the KIM-1 and RCA COSMAC VIP, had a charm unlike todays single-board systems built with SOCs.

I'm sure in 20 years from now we'll figure out how to diss current tech in favor of things like R-Pi or Arduino trainers, too.

I like how the Atari/Coleco/Intellivision/Sega Flashback units have a tiny little single-board computer as well. I don't know if I'd be able to tell the difference between a good simulation and the real thing if I didn't have a chance to look inside.

I believe sound reproduction and display technologies are what "pulls the cover" off of emulations or simulations. It's rarely game logic or play.

We need new hardware for old systems. 2600 clones have happened in the past. This is an idea that needs implementing.

Flashback units aren't going to have a cartridge slot for various bass akwards reasons. Nobody wants to take on a hardware project that big. When someone does the wait and missteps get people frothed over.

Somehow this self destructive loop has to be broken.

• Like 3

Next best hope is Z3K.

If a modern-day recreation of the VCS were to be made, I feel too much cost-cutting would be involved. Like elimination of the switches - replaced by buttons. No B/W Color switch. Inaccuracies in the SOC implementation. Cheap materials.. No thanks.

Next best hope is Z3K.

If a modern-day recreation of the VCS were to be made, I feel too much cost-cutting would be involved. Like elimination of the switches - replaced by buttons. No B/W Color switch. Inaccuracies in the SOC implementation. Cheap materials.. No thanks.

My Google-fu is failing me. Got any links to the Z3K?

Flashback units aren't going to have a cartridge slot for various bass akwards reasons. Nobody wants to take on a hardware project that big. When someone does the wait and missteps get people frothed over.

I have a FB2 (and none of the other Flashbacks) for this very purpose: It is designed so it can be modded in order to have a cart. slot. Only issue is that it doesn't play all of the games. Even so, the fact that it can play carts after the hardware mod is added is proof that it can be done.

But as you said, "missteps get people frothed over". That would include the issues of not playing all the carts.

The Retron 5, by comparison, was designed to be software driven rather than hardware driven, in that updates can be downloaded to it to fix compatibility issues. Which is great, except that any compatibility problems with homebrews might be overlooked.

Edited by AceHart

Understandable. My FB2 has all the switch capabilities in buttons. It works, but I am never sure whether I have Difficulty "A" or "B" engaged.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...