IGNORED

Earthbound Worth Limit?

So, my local store has a fully boxed copy of Earthbound for the SNES. Comes with the cart, manual, strategy guide, and the original oversized box to fit them all into.

Obviously, it'll be worth some money. But holy mother of troy I wasn't expecting the price of 700 dollars!

I guess my question is, what is the limit of worth this game will get to? I can't imagine any sane buying spending 700 dollars on this. That's about 500 bucks for the guide and box. What box is really worth that to people?

Sorry, I get that we're in a rise of classic stuff being collectable, but what's the limit?

I get supply and demand. But the demand surely can't be nearly a grand. There's so much more important in life than a guide and a box to blow that much money on.

I wouldn't, but I'm not really the intended market.

I don't think it's insanity. I just think everyone has different interests and gauges of what things are worth to them.

I mean, I have toy transformable space fighters/robots that cost about $300 a pop. And those aren't even the expensive things.

For Earthbound, if I didn't have any other way to play it, I'd consider paying up to $150 for a cart, but I don't care about the box and extras. So $150 for that game is my ceiling.

There's no telling what people will pay for something, depending on circumstances. Notch spent $10,000 on a packet of silica gel once, y'know.

I do think that's about your cap, though. Just based on what I've seen for other systems, I think we're pretty much at the peak of SNES nostalgia. I imagine it'll drop down in a couple years.

• Like 1

I bought it new as soon as it came out and played it to death.

I love 16-bit RPGs, but this is one of my least favorite, so I'd be willing to pay as much as $10 - $20 for it CIB.

If I were to buy a copy though, I'd rather have the stylish SFC version. Same with most SNES games.

Just based on what I've seen for other systems, I think we're pretty much at the peak of SNES nostalgia. I imagine it'll drop down in a couple years.

I sure hope so. The last decade or so retro game prices have been continually rising across the board without ever falling in any category as far as I know (aside from a few individual games that people have discovered warehouses of still new and sealed), so it would be nice to see prices start to fall again eventually. I can't imagine SNES games getting much if any more expensive than they are right now.

• Like 1

I sure hope so. The last decade or so retro game prices have been continually rising across the board without ever falling in any category as far as I know (aside from a few individual games that people have discovered warehouses of still new and sealed), so it would be nice to see prices start to fall again eventually. I can't imagine SNES games getting much if any more expensive than they are right now.

For some games maybe but some of the great ones aren't too expensive for just the cart. You can get a good condition Secret of Mana or FF3 for example for under $50. I can see those still going up in the future.

I still need to pick up Earthbound. At almost $200 for just the cart is pretty crazy though. It's not even that rare of a game.

I get supply and demand. But the demand surely can't be nearly a grand. There's so much more important in life than a guide and a box to blow that much money on.

Oh, the demand is there. For better or for worse, this game has acquired a Trekkie-level of fandom. This is the only RPG I know of that spawned its own convention.