IGNORED

SoftSide BASIC games

Atari_Ace

AtariMania has a number of incomplete pages up for SoftSide software, so here's a little start at remedying that. I'll add to the thread over time.

post-40654-0-17110100-1465172648_thumb.pngpost-40654-0-07752100-1465172655_thumb.png

Both these entries are for the same game, the name is abbreviated in the table of contents probably in error. Two-player snake game using joysticks.
State and Capitals by David Bohlke from December 1980
http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-states-and-capitals_20034.html
post-40654-0-66698500-1465172599_thumb.png
One player game using paddles, later sold commercially modified for joystick usage.
post-40654-0-79660800-1465172587_thumb.pngpost-40654-0-09300700-1465172592_thumb.png

One player avoid crashing game with joysticks.

• Like 4

Cool, I've been collecting Atari 800 Snake games, in addition to writing one. I think I have over 20 already, but I didn't have this one. Each is unique, this one supports diagonal movement - which isn't the norm. I've been mulling that option for my program, but don't think it'll work for me.

I shouldn't hijack your thread, but I've been searching for something to add to my snake game.

I've done the obvious, upped the graphics, tweaked the controls, added fine movement, animations, and pushed the colors to about 10 on the screen, and 7 per line (using player masking/and Antic E).

But, I can't help the fact that what I really don't like about snake is trying to guess where I am vertically or horizontally on the screen. The whole concept of - you hit something and you crash, I guess I don't like it. Real snakes don't die if they bump into their bodies or a wall - puh lease.

OK you should know anything about snakes bring me into the thread to ramble on about it :) haha...anyway, thanks for sharing. Now I'll go muse about the nature of snake games for a while....

16MB ATR with all the stuff from Softside from start to finish, aside from the missing issues/supplements.

SpartaDOS format, non-bootable, in directories.

This took a long time to type in...

Thanks NuY. My plan for this thread is to go through month by month adding short blurbs and some screen captures for the games. Your efforts will save me from spending time spot checking OCRs of some of the games.

What a great contribution NuY.

Heaps of stuff there not mentioned in Atarimania and some Softside Adventures that have not been listed either. In fact it looks as though the complete 20 Adventure of the Month games are there.

I'm pretty sure Farb was looking for them at one time.

Edited by k1w1
  • Like 1

What a great contribution NuY.

Heaps of stuff there not mentioned in Atarimania and some Softside Adventures that have not been listed either. In fact it looks as though the complete 20 Adventure of the Month games are there.

I'm pretty sure Farb was looking for them at one time.

Cheers, it actually took several years in spurts of several weeks at a time. I can't guarantee everything in there is 100% typo free, but everything after they introduced the checksumming program will definitely be correct.

Cheers, it actually took several years in spurts of several weeks at a time. I can't guarantee everything in there is 100% typo free, but everything after they introduced the checksumming program will definitely be correct.

Just for old times sake,I was thinking of entering a few BASIC programmes from other magazines that have not already been catalogued at Atarimania.

I don't think I would have the perseverance though to enter the complete listings from a magazine like you have.

Just for old times sake,I was thinking of entering a few BASIC programmes from other magazines that have not already been catalogued at Atarimania.

I don't think I would have the perseverance though to enter the complete listings from a magazine like you have.

The first ten or so issues of Antic are not done. Maybe you could do those? I don't think the early issues had a lot of programs either.

Allan

Is there a collection of scans of Atari listings that need to be done?

If so, perhaps we would have a way of keeping track of what needs doing.

Also, is there some kind of PC-based IDE to enter Atari Listings? Some way of converting a text file into a listing?

August 1980 Softside was the first issue to include Atari coverage. There were three games, two currently available on AtariMania and one missing:

• "Master's Golf" on p 38 by David Bohlke. A modified version of PROTOUR 80 for the TRS-80 from p. 34, weighing in at nearly 200 lines of code. One to four players played with a single joystick. First you drive the ball to the green, and then work on putting it into the hole. The directions are numerically specified, 10 is North, 20 East, 30 South and 40 West, so you enter a number from 10-49 to aim the ball, using a wood, iron or wedge. mastgolf.bas
  • "Maze Search" (http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-maze-search_3286.html) on p. 48 by David Bohlke generates a random maze in graphics 3+16 which you have to navigate to find 24 blocks in a fixed amount of time. A nice game in a little over 50 lines of code.
  • "Stratoblaster Outpost" (http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-stratoblaster-outpost_5095.html) on p. 54 by David Bohlke. A Slipton invasion force has been sighted moving into your sector. We don't want you to panic - but you are Earth's first defense. Sixty odd lines is enough for a passable shooter.
September 1980 Sofside had three additional games, again with one missing from AtariMania.

• Like 1

I'm trying to create some of the Softside Adventure of the Month Disks.

How do you create an autorun.sys file to load a specific BASIC game file on boot. I have had a look and autorun.sys is not an ordinary text file.

Edited by k1w1

Allan,

I did some hunting around and have found some BASIC games from Antic Magazine missing from Atarimania. They are: -

Beam me Up

Bounce

Collapsing Deck

Doomed

Dungeon Master Apprentice

E-Racer

Pegboard

Rebound

Rebound Contest

Risky Rescue

Vampire Bat

I have also found Discovery Incident and Beachcomber, but they need to be run from a disk and i am trying to figure out how to do that(see post above).

I'm trying to create some of the Softside Adventure of the Month Disks.

How do you create an autorun.sys file to load a specific BASIC game file on boot. I have had a look and autorun.sys is not an ordinary text file.

'fast fingers' will make an autorun.sys of any keyboard strokes you make.

I like to compile a BASIC program with ABC compiler. compiling makes a machine executable out of a BASIC SAVEd file.

Compiling makes the BASIC program much faster. Faster than you would get using fast fingers to load and RUN a SAVEd BASIC file.

'Fast Fingers' is from Antic, Feb. 1984 Vol. 2, # 11.

ABC compiler is probably at ftp.pigwa.net

ABC works with DOS 2/2.5 only..

But, once you've compiled it, the resulting .OBJ file will work with any DOS.

FASTFING.zip

ABCOMP.ATR

Edited by russg

Ok, I think I've figured it out.

Adventures 1-20 were part of the "Adventure of the Month" series. Atarimania should rename these disks to "SoftSide Adventure of the Month"

From issue #38 (1983-02) The "SoftSide Adventure Series" started with "The Wizards Sword". This series seemed to end with "Deathworld" in issue #46 (84-01). I have found all of these except "Jack the Ripper II" released in issue #45.

There are a number of other adventure programs from SoftSide like "Operation Sabotage" & "The Curse of the Pharaoh" but i am sure if or how they fit in.

I have attached one of the "SoftSide Adventure Series" missing from my earlier post.

SoftSide Adventure No. 41 - Atlantis.zip

• Like 1

Continuing the month by month SoftSide coverage I started in post #13,
October 1980 SoftSide (v.3.1, #25), had two games and one drawing program.
None of these appear to be on AtariMania.
"World Series", p. 26 by David Bohlke.
200 lines to produce a traditional Baseball game.
post-40654-0-87832100-1465662044_thumb.png
"Octadraw", p. 41 by James Garon.
A Video Easel inspired drawing demo in only 30 lines.

post-40654-0-36827100-1465662035_thumb.png
octadraw.bas

"Double Cannon", p. 50 by David Bohlke.
Two playboard keyboard shooting game in 70 lines.