IGNORED

Boiling 72 pin...

Yes, the boiling trick works. I'm still a firm believer though that you also need to shave/file down the plastic tabs between each pin, and bend the pins a bit as well. You can have super clean pins, but if they are pushed too far down to make contact with the cart, it won't matter how pristine they look.

• Like 1

Why boiling it when bathing it into crystal vinegar works?

Or instead of baking it, just put it in the dishwasher; boiling "only" remove dirt from the pins, a gao lthat can be achieved is a dishwasher.

Crystal vinegar remove corrosion so it's more efficient. (note : red vinegar works too, but your connector might sticnk of crap wine after that)

• Like 1

I have a front loader NES that I think I may need to boil the entire thing. Long ago (before I had heard of boiling the connector) I was having trouble with it and from reading online figured that replacing the connector would fix it. So, I set it next to my desk, ordered the connector and waited. A few days later, the connector comes in the mail, so I go back to my desk and pick up my NES. What the... what is all over this... oh no... the cat had peed on my NES. I cleaned the outside and everything I could reach on the inside with Q-tips and 91% Isopropyl... cleaned every bit of cat pee (that I could see) off of it, replaced the connector with the new one, put it all back together, plugged it in and inserted a game... and it still wouldn't work.

Not long after all that, I got a top loader... and got rid of the cats.

Anyway, think if I got a pot big enough I could just boil the whole NES?

• Like 1

Water isn't free... Neither is the gas/electricity used to heat up your water to boiling point.

By me, one liter of crystal vinegar is around 60 cts for the cheap basic vinegar (which you wanna take as it's not for cooking use). It's more expensive than tap water, but cheaper than most bottled water.

Knowing that you can use crystal vinegar elsewhere, to remove rust, clean electrical contacts on gamepad PCBs, etc... not a bad investment...

Water isn't free... Neither is the gas/electricity used to heat up your water to boiling point.

By me, one liter of crystal vinegar is around 60 cts for the cheap basic vinegar (which you wanna take as it's not for cooking use). It's more expensive than tap water, but cheaper than most bottled water.

Knowing that you can use crystal vinegar elsewhere, to remove rust, clean electrical contacts on gamepad PCBs, etc... not a bad investment...

I'm sold

I need to get my nes working better, my games are pretty damn clean, most opened up and scrubbed to shit, but my nes is my least played system simply because it's so frustrating to load games on it.

I am going to open it up and mod it for the extra sound channel and stereo, then fix the pins and jam a powerpak/everdrive in it, and never touch that setup again hahah