IGNORED

Lines through sprites--need help!

Noah98

I noticed that some of my Colecovision games have lines through the sprites. My games are all clean, the system is av modded and has a rocker switch installed for power. I even cleaned the cartridge slot.

It's weird that most of my games have no issues, but Zaxxon, Frenzy, Roc n' Rope, Mr. do, etc. all have weird lines going through the characters and sometimes their shots.

I'm assuming that it has to be either the Ram or the power supply. Any ideas on what is more likely? I'd hate to buy a new power supply (they are still way expensive) and have the problem persist. As far as the ram goes, it seems pretty tough to replace. I'm not sure if my soldering skills are up to it ?

Edited by Noah98

Its better to use the power supply once in awhile than to let it sit around.

Original poster you most likely have a power supply or VDP issue. I've been servicing and modding ColecoVision for 6 years feel free to send me a message.

I'll be making available a new power supply solution for the colecovision real soon to be rid of some of these issues. For example, if no F18A is to be installed then I plan to offer a service to replace the vram with the new power supply. If I were to install the F18A then no need to replace the old vram as it's disabled. I can add the -5v as I do with the ADAM but rather just move away from it permanently.

• Like 3

I'll be making available a new power supply solution for the colecovision real soon to be rid of some of these issues. For example, if no F18A is to be installed then I plan to offer a service to replace the vram with the new power supply. If I were to install the F18A then no need to replace the old vram as it's disabled. I can add the -5v as I do with the ADAM but rather just move away from it permanently.

How much do you estimate it to cost without an F18A installed? So, just the new power supply and vram.

• 3 years later...
On 6/7/2016 at 9:57 AM, Yurkie said:

Original poster you most likely have a power supply or VDP issue. I've been servicing and modding ColecoVision for 6 years feel free to send me a message.

I finally got around to ordering a colusb from overseas.  Still having the same issue with corrupted graphics.  For example, in Frenzy the shots have weird lines going through them.  So, now I have a modern power supply, AV mod, and new power switch, cleaned the cartridge slot and power supply port with Deoxit, and still issues!  It was weird because I got it to work fine for a couple games, and then it went right back to the graphics issues.  Sometimes the title screens would have weird colors, lines through sprites, corrupted graphics, etc.  

Does that mean I have a VDP issue?  If so, how would I fix it?  Would installing these be the solution:

https://console5.com/store/colecovision-5v-memory-upgrade-kit.html

Seems like a test for my soldering skills, for sure!  Any help would be greatly appreciated!