IGNORED

Will the 5200 VCS adapter (CX55) work with a/v modded units?

BIGHMW

I was just wondering if my newly-obtained a/v-modded 4-port 5200 (I paid $300.00 for it on eBay...and yes! it DOES have an asterisk next to the serial number although the numbers next to the * are kinda faint), in which I bought for my $200 39" Insignia 720p HDTV (model no. 39-D220-NA16) I got from Best Buy, will work with the VCS adapter or not (CX55). I read that normally it should work fine with 5200 units with that asterisk in it.

However I have read that there are some adapter compatibility issues with 5200 units with the audio/video/power jack mod done to them (with both the RF cable and that proprietary auto-switchbox removed), so before I order the VCS adapter from Best Electronics, or go for one on eBay, I just need some answers to those questions from all my fellow Atarians out there.

Thanks,

Ray Jackson

Proud Atarian since 1983

My first 5200 unit was a USA-made 4-port (Serial No. 141101) that I got for my 17th Birthday back in 1983, retired April 2016 after getting an a/v/power-modded 5200 unit

The AV mods disable the AV and power I believe from the cart port section, hence the VCS adapter doesn't work with any of the AV mods that are available for the 5200 that I'm aware of. Best to get yourself a 2 port unit and mod that for AV, so you can use the VCS adapter in the 4 port unit. But I'm sure it would be cheaper still, to just get a 2600 in addition to your 5200 and call it a day.

I can tell you for certain that the CX-55 does not work with an A/V modded 2 port either. If your A/V mod has S-Video also it has a small circuit board that takes the video signals off before they reach the RF Modulator, so even trying to use the RF modulator will not work also.

The composite Video and Audio output from the CX-55 go to two pins (24 &30) on the 5200 cart slot (if it has been modified or two port) that go to the RF modulator.

There is a possibility that wires can be run from these two pins to separate jacks or to the current composite jack and audio using a DPDT switch , where one position is for regular 5200 carts the other for the CX-55.

I am in the progress of trying to do this with my A/V modded 2-port 5200, so it has not tested yet if it works, theory only.

The easiest thing to do is get a 2600 or 7800 that can be easily a/v modded.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

A 2600jr doesn't take up that much space.

I would love to get a near-mint (preferably a/v-modded) 2600 jr. with the "Atari 2600" short rainbow on the bezel (similar to the "Atari 5200" short rainbow on it), that would go perfect with my 5200 as they will look almost the same except for the size of course. I already own a few CX24 sticks, two Wico ball joysticks, and also two 2600 trak-balls (I also have two Redemption 5200/2600 adapters and also two Redemption 5200/7800 adapters too), so If anyone has a 2600 jr (short rainbow version) they would like to sell me then go ahead and PM me about it (and please do include pics)

• 4 months later...

There is a possibility that wires can be run from these two pins to separate jacks or to the current composite jack and audio using a DPDT switch , where one position is for regular 5200 carts the other for the CX-55.

I am in the progress of trying to do this with my A/V modded 2-port 5200, so it has not tested yet if it works, theory only.

Me too, i'd like to run my CX55 with my 5200 console in av mode.

Anyone has the answer ?