IGNORED

Favorite Trek game?

I have a few game books like those, most of them machine-specific (I have some for TRS-80, VIC-20, and Timex 1000), but also some of the Dave Ahl BASIC games books. A couple of them have Trek games. I haven't punched any of them in, but they look like they're fairly involved versions of the game. Lots of code there.

IIRC isn't Super Star Trek (the game in the Ahl books) considered the definitive Trek game?

• 2 weeks later...

PC CD-ROM of Star Trek 25th Anniversary by Interplay was probably my favorite. Had some great humor in it. That Tobias Richter one on the Amiga was pretty entertaining as well. Star Trek: A Final Unity was a decent adventure but I worked for the company that made it so I was sick of it after playing countless beta builds prior to release.

seriously - my favorite was probably the 25th anniversary game - it really captured the spirit of the show, the additional features of the cd rom version took it over the top.

Birth of a federation is a fun strat game - when it's not crashing.

eliite force is a fun little fps - kinda just a standard fps though

hon mention to snes DS9 game - just cause it's a ds9 game.

• Like 1

I have to say my favorite is Stellar Track, with a close second to the Commodore PET version. I accept that many of the other versions are technically "better", but I just never had enough time to devote to really getting into them. The joystick interface in Stellar Track is more "menu like"...

Edited by almightytodd

There was an old DOS game that I used to play, it was more of an adventure game. I'm not talking about 25th Anniversary or the other EGA / VGA games. This game was made entirely using ASCII / ANSI. I think it was called TREK.EXE. It was Star Trek, but was made for a 4.77Mhz computer. When I'd flip the turbo switch to 8.77, the game became unplayable when I would fly around in space. The game was awesome... I played it for hours along with GRIME.EXE, PTROOPER.EXE, REDBARON.EXE and a few others.

• Like 1

Star Trek The Next Generation- A Final Unity. It was made by Holobyte and was a late DOS point and click adventure. It made you feel like you were exploring the galaxy with the TNG crew. I loved that game and still do. Star Trek Captian's Chair was a 360 interactive bridge museum. I use to get lost in the idea of sitting on the bridge of my favorite bridges. I also enjoy Star Trek SOS for my Atari 2600 and am trying to get a copy for my Vic-20. Btw best topic ever!

So my favorite mainframe game is TREK80 on the Sol Terminal 20 (1977)

More "modern" Star Trek I've liked is Rescue on the 68K Macs. (the 90's)

(They feature the game about 2 minutes into the video).

• Like 2

I've got the TRS-80 version, Invasion Force. For some reason I can't get into it as much. Maybe I just don't like the ship's name, "Hephaestus." :P

On the Sol Terminal it was the U.S.S. Enterprise complete with regular crew. :D But that was before people messed with things like copyrights and all.

So TRek80 had phasers, photon torpedoes, and the "experimental Anti-matter pod" good for taking out the Klingon bases that were immune to phaser and photo fire.

And then there is the "Experimental Ray" which can do all sorts of crazy stuff.

Between all that, and the way you can tweek the energy output to continue battling on the game is still a blast to this day.

• Like 2

seriously - my favorite was probably the 25th anniversary game - it really captured the spirit of the show, the additional features of the cd rom version took it over the top.

Same here.

Looking forward to trying that new VR one coming out though.

In September 1982 I bought my first computer, a Sinclair ZX81, then a couple of weeks later the very necessary though unreliable 16K RAM pack. The first magazine listing I remember typing in was a Star Trek game in the UK magazine Personal Computer World (Octobet '82).

I vividly remember spending all evening over it and I loved it. I was very reticent about switching the machine off in case it didn't reload but I think the cassette save was OK in this case.

I have looked for that very magazine issue for a few years now but until three weeks ago it had not appeared on eBay as far as I could tell, but now I have it! I plan on reliving that evening soon and once again typing that Star Trek game into my ZX81. I have not even found the game saved online so I think the effort is justified. I'll save it to SD card this time!

• Like 3

I'm shocked it hasn't been mentioned, but my all time favorite Star Trek game is the IBM PC DOS 4.77mhz compatible game called:

BEGIN, A Tactical Starship Simulation. Very good game, tough, and shockingly still being updated.

I played it on my original PC so much that I invested in a Co-processor to speed up the calculations. If you had more then 8 ships or so the original PC would take a minute or longer to think out its move. Once I got the co-processor, I could have 18 ships out their and still play with only a little wait between turns.

My favorite version was 1.65 but I think the new versions are good too. You pick your side, ship, and the quantity or good vs. bad guys and then begin. It all about strategy as I have beat 19 war birds with one dreadnought, and have also seen 6 dreadnoughts get blown up by 2 Klingon battle ships. You even get rated as a starship commander when the game ends (and winning is not the only way to get a good score).

Break out dos and find a copy of Begin 1.65 You'll love it!

• Like 1

I'm shocked it hasn't been mentioned, but my all time favorite Star Trek game is the IBM PC DOS 4.77mhz compatible game called:

BEGIN, A Tactical Starship Simulation. Very good game, tough, and shockingly still being updated.

I played it on my original PC so much that I invested in a Co-processor to speed up the calculations. If you had more then 8 ships or so the original PC would take a minute or longer to think out its move. Once I got the co-processor, I could have 18 ships out their and still play with only a little wait between turns.

My favorite version was 1.65 but I think the new versions are good too. You pick your side, ship, and the quantity or good vs. bad guys and then begin. It all about strategy as I have beat 19 war birds with one dreadnought, and have also seen 6 dreadnoughts get blown up by 2 Klingon battle ships. You even get rated as a starship commander when the game ends (and winning is not the only way to get a good score).

Break out dos and find a copy of Begin 1.65 You'll love it!

BEGIN165.zip

• Like 2

In September 1982 I bought my first computer, a Sinclair ZX81, then a couple of weeks later the very necessary though unreliable 16K RAM pack. The first magazine listing I remember typing in was a Star Trek game in the UK magazine Personal Computer World (Octobet '82).

I vividly remember spending all evening over it and I loved it. I was very reticent about switching the machine off in case it didn't reload but I think the cassette save was OK in this case.

I have looked for that very magazine issue for a few years now but until three weeks ago it had not appeared on eBay as far as I could tell, but now I have it! I plan on reliving that evening soon and once again typing that Star Trek game into my ZX81. I have not even found the game saved online so I think the effort is justified. I'll save it to SD card this time!

I think the ZX81/TS1000 tends to fly under the radar a bit since it was so limited, but it seems like it would be well-suited to Trek games.

• Like 1

I remember downloading this from a BBS, back in about 1990. I do not recall the version, but there were two separate executables: one for an 8086, and another for computers with an 8087 co-processor.

I used a small program to increase the size of the keyboard buffer so that I could keep typing (and queuing) commands while the computer calculated the AI moves.

The program does run under Windows XP, albeit with the some graphics effects not working. I do not recall if I have tried it on anything newer.

There was a huge amount of strategic depth to that game. The internal help system includes multiple pages of technical documentation about the various ships and weapons systems for the different factions.

A favourite strategy of mine was to set the self-destruct timer, and then quickly beam my crew to another vessel. I sometimes managed to do this two or three times. Of course this wanton destruction of my own fleet was reflected in my (low) score, but it was certainly fun.

• Like 1

In high school I played the text game on an Altair 8800a and thought it was fantastic. Then in college I saw Star Raiders on an Atari 800 and was amazed. Here was the classic Star Trek game married to amazing first person 3D graphics and fast action. Sure the names were changed from Klingons to Zylons but Star Raiders is my favorite incarnation of that old computer game.

• Like 3