IGNORED

New to 8-bit

nd2003grad

You all are a very good resource for this stuff...I have a bunch of Coleco things I'm going to sell to fund this, so we'll see what happens!

Isn't the net fantastic that I can get help from both NZ and the UK? Can you imagine this back in that day? I'd wager that only a tiny percent of people locally even know what these things are.

Ha ha...Yes the communication is vastly better now but the core message is the same, play what is good. I truly love the Atari 8 bit, it was my job, my hobby and my life but I watched other systems evolve and I looked at what was worth looking at on them and sure enough I found the same things others found that were worth the time, I've never stopped since then the only difference is that I have slowed down now it hard to raise the money, I'll get a PS3 and a WiiU one day because there's stuff nowhere else i want to play and its the same all around.

Enjoy each system as long as it has stuff to please but I beg you start at the beginning to see how it all combusted into the stuff we see as 'super games', most games are simply amalgamation of numerous very early games so its important to see it from the start..

Paul..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

..I beg you start at the beginning to see how it all combusted into the stuff we see as 'super games', most games are simply amalgamation of numerous very early games so its important to see it from the start..

Paul..

Not always, seriously I don't need to try a steam engine coal burning train to appreciate riding on Tokyo maglev train.

I don't need to ride a horse powered carriage (with no suspension whatsoever and wooden wheels) to enjoy a ride on a BMW series 3.

Granted, ignoring all of that is also a mistake but I noticed on myself that usually a quick look and a few digressions here and there it's all that is needed rather a full on history lesson trudging through countless low-color, lo res and let's face it, mostly low quality games just to say you've done it :)

For me given that all the 8bits home computers and consoles were in direct competition with the arcades of the time it was always a "meh" situation for those ports. Much better for the few truly originals born on the platforms .... but then again I tend to get bored quickly.

Wrt arcade ports I remember playing Gyruss on C64 for hours on end, last I played it on the A8 (like 1Y ago) I believe I was bored playing it after 20mins .... and this applies to most of the arcade games I remember of the era (I may be able to spend twice that time on the MAME version but the home ports ....).

So anyway, if you have time and money sure get both, enjoy them, appreciate how much they did with as little resources they had while not glorifying them for how much they did with the little resources they had (it was do or die so not much point in lingering in either feeling) at the same time though also pay attention to the insane amount of shovelware/crapware/me-too that was the game landscape those days.

Today you have the advantage to be able to go and get all the 10K+ games from full sets etc... but geez going thru 90% of them is agony.

I forgot to say .... IMHO.

• Like 1

I have to say that I agree with both of you to some degree. I have a sentimental thing for computers, but for me it's more of a "what might have been" since we didn't upgrade from a 286 computer until about 1996. The lag behind what was going on with some of these systems even is atrocious. I have the big consoles of the era (Atari 2600, INTV, Coleco, and NES), but I'm actually more excited about having the Bally/Astrocade due to the incredible quality of SOME of the games. It's too bad the whole library isn't like that. But, Phoenix, that's why I have never wanted a Channel F or a Odyssey 2. I don't feel like I need it ALL. I have to say though, the "look" of that 800 calls to me loudly.

• Like 1

.... I have to say though, the "look" of that 800 calls to me loudly.

Then you found your answer.

After all it's about "wants".

If you just want to try the "games" you can take Altirra for a spin on a modern PC and see what feeling you get.

Then you can decide if it is worthy to have the real deal warts and all.

Also, I'm the one to talk :-D I have an XEGS with U1MB + Side2 + MyIDE ][ + SIO2SD

Well, now that I got some birthday money I'm seriously reconsidering this. I have one more question--what do you guys think of the 400? Is it technically inferior to the 800 other than the keyboard and the two cart slots? Because it really has an adorable clunky awkwardness that I find appealing!

With 16k and an unusable keyboard, stock units do not make ideal starter systems.

I wouldn't mind one of these at a reasonable cheap price and to have it's video output modded for a modern TV.

And to have an Atari 800 to go along with the 800XL that I do have.

There is a time in your life that you do want to have the Atari Home Computers all over again.

Harvey

I wouldn't mind one of these at a reasonable cheap price and to have it's video output modded for a modern TV.

And to have an Atari 800 to go along with the 800XL that I do have.

There is a time in your life that you do want to have the Atari Home Computers all over again.

Harvey

You'll get no argument for me, and especially for an A8. There's no denying, though, that without heavy modding the 400 just isn't going to be attractive or usable these days to anyone but McDonald's cashiers or people who actually live in 1979. Permanently. And I don't much see the point in external mods that turn it into a FrankenModel. If you need to mod a stock item heavily just to use it, it probably isn't for you. And the 400 is actually a pretty machine when judged on its own merits.

I wouldn't mind a 16K Atari 400 and only use it a few times each year, to hopefully keep it in running order for decades to come.

I believe there is a 48K memory upgrade kit for it - and I wonder if anyone here on this forum, might be able to install it - for those reluctant to fit it themselves.

For those in which the Atari Home Computers was a significant influence in their life - I think it is good to keep an Aari 400 as a momento - and what better way to demonstrate it, is to have one running? And to have some great examples to highlight how good it really is. Just have a Vic-20 running alongside it, and ask - which is the better machine?

Harvey

I wouldn't mind a 16K Atari 400 and only use it a few times each year, to hopefully keep it in running order for decades to come.

I believe there is a 48K memory upgrade kit for it - and I wonder if anyone here on this forum, might be able to install it - for those reluctant to fit it themselves.

For those in which the Atari Home Computers was a significant influence in their life - I think it is good to keep an Aari 400 as a momento - and what better way to demonstrate it, is to have one running? And to have some great examples to highlight how good it really is. Just have a Vic-20 running alongside it, and ask - which is the better machine?

Harvey

ClausB's 48K mod is pretty easy to do. I could even let SDX run (well it runs, not much more).

Edited by JoSch

Thank you all for this. I'm many years behind on this, as I started in the NES era due to my age (35) and only recently got a PS2. I have a Wii, but I use it almost exclusively for emulation. It's weird; my "gaming" passions straddle JRPG's mostly and dinosaur machines like 2600, Bally, Coleco, and INTV. The computer thing is new for me, I never had these machines but wished I did when compared to my parents' 8086 AT/T computer. I'm 100% decided I want to eventually go for Amiga, but for 8-bit I'm still thinking I guess. Like you guys have said, there's a lot to be said for both A8 and C64...

If you're into the history thing then an Atari 8-bit would make perfect sense. It was years ahead of its time when launched and even the C64, which was released 3-4 years later, struggles to compete in some areas.

Incidentally the graphics chips used in the 800 were designed by the same guy who designed the Amiga so the Amiga is the 800s spiritual successor. If you know your history, you'd know that the Amiga was originally intended to be released by Atari but Commodore hijacked the deal. Atari panicked and created the ST using mostly off-the-shelf parts in record time. The ST wasn't as powerful as the Amiga but IMO they created nothing short of a miracle to release something that good that quickly.

Personally I've never had a yearning for a C64 (although I wouldn't mind a Vic-20 and a C-16) but I'm probably one of a very tiny minority. :)

Harvey

I installed a 48K upgrade in mine. Best Electronics had the upgrade kits for like $20 I think but they are about $40 now. Fairly easy upgrade, requires soldering 4 wires and mangling a piece of plastic in the armored shield. My 48K 400 sits in the living room hooked up to the TV with an SIO2SD device.

The 400 is a cool game machine if you get one without a worn-out keyboard. If you want to play with BASIC or run productivity software the keyboard is kind of painful. If you want to run floppy-based stuff with either a real floppy drive, an SIO2SD or SIO2PC, the 48K upgrade is pretty much a must-have. With carts, 16K is usually adequate.

I have an 800 too but unfortunately the keyboard is junk so it sits in the closet until I can get a working keyboard. :-(

Edited by kogden

I installed a 48K upgrade in mine. Best Electronics had the upgrade kits for like $20 I think but they are about $40 now. Fairly easy upgrade, requires soldering 4 wires and mangling a piece of plastic in the armored shield. My 48K 400 sits in the living room hooked up to the TV with an SIO2SD device.

The 400 is a cool game machine if you get one without a worn-out keyboard. If you want to play with BASIC or run productivity software the keyboard is kind of painful. If you want to run floppy-based stuff with either a real floppy drive, an SIO2SD or SIO2PC, the 48K upgrade is pretty much a must-have. With carts, 16K is usually adequate.

I have an 800 too but unfortunately the keyboard is junk so it sits in the closet until I can get a working keyboard. :-(

A Transkey II Piggyback board would be possible and if the case is already open, one could think about an UAV board for better quality video output.

I have to say that I agree with both of you to some degree. I have a sentimental thing for computers, but for me it's more of a "what might have been" since we didn't upgrade from a 286 computer until about 1996. The lag behind what was going on with some of these systems even is atrocious. I have the big consoles of the era (Atari 2600, INTV, Coleco, and NES), but I'm actually more excited about having the Bally/Astrocade due to the incredible quality of SOME of the games. It's too bad the whole library isn't like that. But, Phoenix, that's why I have never wanted a Channel F or a Odyssey 2. I don't feel like I need it ALL. I have to say though, the "look" of that 800 calls to me loudly.

I had a lot of different systems back in the day, but the odyssey 2, I have a good excuse for that one...I won it. In a video game contest at a local county fair. My goodness it was terrible. But it was my choice, if I remember correctlyI could have chosen another prize... Pacman cart for the 2600 was another choice.... Frankly didn't like pacman anyway. The odyssey 2 was already obsolete but I couldn't resist the temptation to have another console :)

Btw I wasn't that good at video games, but for whatever reason the competition was light.

Well, I came across a C64 situation I couldn't refuse (whole lotta crap for $60, even if shipping was painful--but I know it works) and then was offered something off of marketplace here that I could NOT refuse (Amiga 500 with upgrade and extras shipped for $150!), so my Atari days are now in the future--but at least I know a whole lot about it now from you all.

OK, well now I came across some more funds...so I have a question now to you guys as to what you think is the best modern alternative flash/USB/SD alternative for the A8? Like a specific cart or drive emulator to run programs? I think I may end up getting three computers in a week...YOW.

Me I am partial to the sio2(whatever) stuff.. they are inexpensive, they attach at the end of the daisy chain, so no port or cart to take over. Is sio the fastest? no.. but sio2sd works with modern SD cards.. no flash .. which is really hard to find. If you are trying to make an MIO or ATR8000 out of it etc.. then sio2pc (usb) to an old laptop you can pickup for $25 running windows XP is a treat.. you get access to the network, to the modem, to the printer. Yes thats the way I went.. even registered my APE software. I have 300gb atari storage on an external USB HD through the laptop that I can move to the next thing I need to.. (they dont build em like they used to ;) )

James

• Like 1

Me I am partial to the sio2(whatever) stuff.. they are inexpensive, they attach at the end of the daisy chain, so no port or cart to take over. Is sio the fastest? no.. but sio2sd works with modern SD cards.. no flash .. which is really hard to find. If you are trying to make an MIO or ATR8000 out of it etc.. then sio2pc (usb) to an old laptop you can pickup for $25 running windows XP is a treat.. you get access to the network, to the modem, to the printer. Yes thats the way I went.. even registered my APE software. I have 300gb atari storage on an external USB HD through the laptop that I can move to the next thing I need to.. (they dont build em like they used to ;) )

James

Will the SIO$##% run all programs? Also, can cart programs be run from a floppy? If I can just transfer PC to Floppy with that APE program, that may work...I don't need a ton of bells and whistles, just trying to figure out what is best.

OK, well now I came across some more funds...so I have a question now to you guys as to what you think is the best modern alternative flash/USB/SD alternative for the A8? Like a specific cart or drive emulator to run programs? I think I may end up getting three computers in a week...YOW.

I'd start with a simple SIO2PC USB interface. If you can solder 4 wires you can make your own with an SIO cable and an FTDI FT232RL breakout board in about 5 minutes for around $10. This will let you use a PC, Mac or Linux box as a drive emulator. After that I'd consider an SIO2SD interface. If you don't mind not having an enclosure or want to make your own they go for about $30 on Lotharek's site.

The 8-bit I use the most is an 800XL w/ upgraded video circuit, 576K of RAM, SIO2PC, IDEPlus w/ 4GB CF MicroDrive, 850 serial/parallel interface, and a "Happy" 1050 5.25" floppy drive. The one in the living room I let the kids play with is a 48K 400 w/ SIO2SD loaded with games.

There is a LOT of interesting peripherals for the Atari 8-bit.

Will the SIO$##% run all programs? Also, can cart programs be run from a floppy? If I can just transfer PC to Floppy with that APE program, that may work...I don't need a ton of bells and whistles, just trying to figure out what is best.

Anything intended to be run from floppy. Most cart-based stuff has a floppy version floating around somewhere. SIO2PC allows you to use your PC as an SIO peripheral emulator including floppy drives, printers, serial interfaces, etc.

SIO2SD is a disk emulator that feeds the Atari from ATR disk images stored on an SD card. The SD card retains it's PC format to make adding disk images painless.

IDEPlus is a real HDD controller for the XL/XE series.