IGNORED

Primal Rage 2

Cernex

The discovery of the PR2 board is old news, but I didn't know they made a custom cab at Galloping Ghost. That's really cool. I'd like to eventually make my way there someday so I can play the game. The original Primal Rage for me is up there with MK, KI, etc. I played it a lot back when it was new and still revisit it relatively frequently.

I played it several months ago. The Primal Rage games are the only fighters I like.

Doc was telling me that it was cancelled at the same time Beavis and Butt-Head was, for the same reason: midway bought out Atari, and cancelled all of Atari's projects.

Are you kidding me? THAT'S why they canceled it?

I... what?

To be fair, Williams (owners of Midway at the time) were making a lot of unsuspecting decisions during that time period (like closing down the entire pinball division in 1999). Their decisions were very well likely the result of a dwindling arcade market.

• Like 1

Well, RIGHT, sure. That makes sense.

But why buy a company if you're going to absolutely get rid of EVERYTHING they're making? That makes no sense to me. I mean, maybe the projects that were in early pre-production, sure. But Primal Rage 2 was already on its test run.

That's... just stupid.

• Like 2

They made the right decision. I've played both Primal Rage 2 and Beavis and Butthead and they both were fairly bad games (although B&B has its charm). Even though they were unfinished games, I doubt they would have gotten drastically better.

They made the right decision. I've played both Primal Rage 2 and Beavis and Butthead and they both were fairly bad games (although B&B has its charm). Even though they were unfinished games, I doubt they would have gotten drastically better.

Both games are probably something I would have played had they made it to arcades in any sort of fashion...

I would have played B&B for sure, but the animation and movement are so choppy it makes a bit annoying.

It's hard to judge PR2 because it wasn't tweaked and balanced yet. Fighting games need that polish or they're terrible to play. When I played it I killed my opponent by using the exact same attack over and over and over again. That's the sign of a badly balanced game. Beyond that though, the only thing that the original PR had going for it was dinosaurs and they took those out of the sequel! Why would you do that?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah but the default are the human characters. The whole human to dino thing was really stupid.

Well, all you have to do is push up for 2 seconds or so to go with default dinos.

And you fought the humans first, sure, but later you fall nothing but dinos. Is it a weird direction? Yes. But nothing that would make me outright hate it.

Hmm. What about Primal Rage "revisions". Surely they had a few. Maybe the final revision implemented the boss as a playable / selectable character? Can't hurt to check them all.

The last revision was 2.3. The follow-up (3.0?) was canceled after Primal Rage 2 was greenlighted.

There's a reason why Necrossan only appears in 2. Necrossan was set to appear in 1, but never did.

• 4 months later...

not sure if you guys are interested or aware but Primal Rage 2 has been playable for some time now at home on your PC through MAME. More info on this can be found here. Only 3 characters available to play with through hacked save states.

If you guys already knew, I'm sorry for bumping an old topic I just thought it's a fun game to play. (it reminds me of KI2) Plus it's Atari!

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones

the reason why Beavis & Butthead has some choppy animations is because the game ran on a 3DO-based arcade board.

• 3 months later...

not sure if you guys are interested or aware but Primal Rage 2 has been playable for some time now at home on your PC through MAME. More info on this can be found here. Only 3 characters available to play with through hacked save states.

If you guys already knew, I'm sorry for bumping an old topic I just thought it's a fun game to play. (it reminds me of KI2) Plus it's Atari!

As of a week (give or take a day), Primal Rage 2 is almost fully playable in MAME... technically.

It still has some bugs left however, and it needs its own specialized version of MAME to be playable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ7lcLCdXgY

• Like 3