IGNORED

Fitting PICO psu in STFM

OK, so I have my pico psu. Couple of questions for those that have done this replacement.

1. How did you "stick it down" to the plastic shield on the ps base? Did you glue the shield to the base?

2. Mine has the ATX 24pin header, but I also see the pico has another header to output for peripherals, HD power, floppy power, etc.. Why not just run power on(green) to ground - and then run the ST off the peripheral header? it is smaller, lighter, cleaner? I notice all installs use the atx header and solder a bundle of wires (+5 v and Grounds) to the small 6pin MB header of the ST??

3. I was going to cut into the Power line coming into the pico and wire the power_on to ground.. this way I am turning the entire pico on and off rather than it be powered on and then just soft start the ST. Did anyone else do it this way?

James

Edited by Bikerbob

Interesting, I just did this very thing to get a 220v STE to work here in the States.

Soldering ground and green sense lead to the power switch worked great, and I merely wire tied the unit down to the bracket. I also questioned the possibility of powering from the smaller accessory lead but went with direct connections to the 24 pin after considering there may be amp limits for the accessory side on the pico. I'll attach an image as soon as I get back to my PC.

Edit: Oops! I misread your question about the power lead to the switch. When doing this mod, I had read that doing so would work fine (sorry, no link), but you've probably read the same things too. Here's my pic anyway, good luck with your mod!

post-45473-0-48974200-1466430890_thumb.jpg

Edited by EzdineG

Zip tied it.. ahhh.. did you drill holes in the base on either side of the spot you were going to mount it.. Otherwise it would require a LONG zip tie.

Ok thats an option. was thinking of some kind of foam base rather than right on the plastic shield.

James

I've just attached the pic. My Pico had a thin "foamish" layer on the bottom, if yours doesn't I think a thin cardboard + the existing plastic shield should be more than enough.

I simply used two wire ties end to end and the ATX clip holds it firmly in place.

Interesting, I just did this very thing to get a 220v STE to work here in the States.

Soldering ground and green sense lead to the power switch worked great, and I merely wire tied the unit down to the bracket. I also questioned the possibility of powering from the smaller accessory lead but went with direct connections to the 24 pin after considering there may be amp limits for the accessory side on the pico. I'll attach an image as soon as I get back to my PC.

Edit: Oops! I misread your question about the power lead to the switch. When doing this mod, I had read that doing so would work fine (sorry, no link), but you've probably read the same things too. Here's my pic anyway, good luck with your mod!

yes, nice and clean, I see you ran the power out to the side.. not to the old hole? Mine wont look as clean I think.. but soldering is done, so its just the mounting now. Should have it up and running tonight.

James

I'm not done with this project, I only started it this Saturday. I've found a piece of black plastic I'm planning to dremel into the shape of the old power connector and drill for the lead. I don't want to modify the case at all if I can avoid it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRAP!.. not sure if I did anything.. but Not getting +5v out of the pico supply.

12v passes through.. but 5v is not..

Mine was very specific that it get voltage between 11 and 13 volts..

I did try my one ac/dc that said 12v but actually put out 17v .. but only for a few seconds. Otherwise everything seems wired right..

Frustrating!!

and ... the downside of ordering from Hong Kong, they are very nice that I could return it etc.. but I have to pay shipping.. it has to be in original condition and I did cut the power cable to wire it up..

Looks like I might have lost this one.. and have to buy another. :(

James

post-45982-0-02454400-1466566718_thumb.jpgpost-45982-0-64890500-1466566730_thumb.jpg

Check these out.. look at the white residue on the board???

Weird.. wonder what this could be??? Is this anything to do with heat? I have used boards for 30 years.. never seen this happen.

I have msged the seller I bought it from.. but we will see.. Wish I had seen this when I first opened it.

James

Edited by Bikerbob

They gave me a refund.. yes.. they said it was residue from a reflow process. I said it does not work.. they said.. fine, refund.. dont bother returning. They were A1 seller.

SO I have bought another from a different seller on ebay.. lets hope this one fares better.

James

• 2 weeks later...

OMG this one is taking forever to arrive. Not having as much luck with my ST retro projects as I am with my 8bits.

SO far 520st works ok.. 520stfm (dead psu) Sc1224 (dead psu) trying to buy pico for computer, trying to get memory upgrade, trying to get RTC, trying to get 1970vx monitor (just have to pick it up).. a lot more work to get this one going.

James

yeah.. well.. exxosuk if I was in the UK I would not have balked and got yours for sure. Guess I have to beat myself a bit first.. then see.. LOL..

I will when I am done have a 520stfm with 2mb memory and tos 1.4 running on a nec 1970vx monitor - This should be good for vintage gaming etc.. :)

James

• 9 months later...

Argh.. well still have not got to my ST rig.. I have been doing 8-bit or work or life.. I would like to get to it soon though.

We do have a fellow out here that does industrial monitor repairs, so I might get my SC1224 repaired anyway just so I have an original working monitor.

So new PICO here, I now have a marpet memory upgrade waiting to go in. TOS 1.04uk (I am canadian) but I wonder, is there things in the UK TOS that I would not want.. like the pound symbol over the dollar sign?

I did get a solder homebrew 2mb kit.. but with 23 connections I am not confident on that one.

Well just posting here because I have not put a post in the ST section in quite sometime.

James