IGNORED

A New Marauder

Carpenter

@Carpenter: regarding NTSC to PAL60 conversions, this is generally easy to do. You only need to change the color pallets in your program to match the PAL60 pallet. PAL is often considered inferior to NTSC with regards to pallet selection, but you can change the colors based on lookup tables. The luminosity should only need minor tweaks, and you simply match the Hue on the PAL pallets close to the NTSC colors.

Unfortunately, the "rainbow" of colors is not evenly distributed like NTSC, and some colors such as pure yellow, are impossible to get right using the PAL color pallet. In the case of lemon yellow, you're stuck substituting it with either lime or orange. I'm honestly surprised Atari of Brazil went with NTSC TIAs for the PAL-M instead of PAL TIAs. I guess it worked out better that way since the rest of South America used NTSC, the ROMs would be the same. I imagine PAL50 Euro ROMs would have rolled on many of the old PAL60 CRTs same as they do in NTSC land.

Will More Work Games be making more Atari 2600 homebrew/hack games in the future? If so, any hints for future titles?

Definitely! A New Marauder is the first release and certainly there will be more.

We have a title being prepared. Soon you'll know about it. :-)

• Like 1

@Carpenter: regarding NTSC to PAL60 conversions, this is generally easy to do. You only need to change the color pallets in your program to match the PAL60 pallet. PAL is often considered inferior to NTSC with regards to pallet selection, but you can change the colors based on lookup tables. The luminosity should only need minor tweaks, and you simply match the Hue on the PAL pallets close to the NTSC colors.

Unfortunately, the "rainbow" of colors is not evenly distributed like NTSC, and some colors such as pure yellow, are impossible to get right using the PAL color pallet. In the case of lemon yellow, you're stuck substituting it with either lime or orange. I'm honestly surprised Atari of Brazil went with NTSC TIAs for the PAL-M instead of PAL TIAs. I guess it worked out better that way since the rest of South America used NTSC, the ROMs would be the same. I imagine PAL50 Euro ROMs would have rolled on many of the old PAL60 CRTs same as they do in NTSC land.

Yeah, certainly sticking with a NTSC TIA was an economical decision.

More carts would be available and transcoding to PAL-M was something already done at that time on imported NTSC VCRs (video cassette recorders)!

Hey guys!

A New Marauder sold very well here in AA community.

Thank you all for the support!

I am glad to inform that there is only one copy available.

Who is going to be the lucky one? :-)

If you are interested, let me know!

SOLD OUT!

I would like to thank each one of the buyers and those who contributed with the discussion in this thread.

Shipping starts tomorrow. Any questions, please contact me!

For those who couldn't buy the game at this moment, we intend to keep releasing it in batches, non numbered this time.

I will let you know when we start accepting orders again. Until there you can manifest your interest here or by PM.

Thank you very much.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi people.
I just get mine "A New Marauder" and I made an unboxing video.
​I bet you guys gonna love it.
I hope you enjoy, and buy it, of course. ;)

Thanks

Marino Mux

Your killing me!!! :-D

Thanks for the video, can't wait for mine to arrive.

• Like 1

Got mine in today, #29/50.

Yes, very "Berserk meets Adventure" style! I am in awe of how you made it switch games every time on boot. It works exactly how you said. Full disclosure, I'll admit I was a bit drunk when I first plugged it in. The game is challenging and with one life, requires full concentration, so I'll be tackling this game tomorrow, fully sober. The version with the space ship, I think I made it to the goal once.

As an electronics wiz, I am fascinated by the fact the game boots to different stage on every power cycle. Makes it interesting. I am curious how you accomplished this, if you care to disclose the circuit. If not, I'll understand. I would never tear the cart open to find out as it is too beautiful a specimen.

Take care, and thanks for enclosing an English translated cheat sheet. Much obliged! ;-)

• Like 1

Definitely. Until now I wasn't even aware that it is different.

Attached are two versions of my color test program (use FIRE or B/W switch to change view, directions chose the highlighted color). A screenshot showing all colors ordered (probably using the NTSC version) would be very helpful.

Here is, my Atari is not well calibrated thought. I need to adjust the color screw, there is too much blue in this image.

I've adjusted the colors years ago, I think there is a weak capacitor.

post-10940-0-10817300-1468084075_thumb.jpg NTSC

post-10940-0-28452300-1468084095_thumb.jpg PAL60

• Like 2

Here is, my Atari is not well calibrated thought. I need to adjust the color screw, there is too much blue in this image.

attachicon.gifPAL_M(NTSC).jpg NTSC

attachicon.gifPAL_M(PAL60).jpg PAL60

The curved crt screen looks like it's made of 3D polygons.

So colors are exactly like NTSC. Good to know.

I've adjusted the color, the blue band ($7x,$8x,$9x) are moved a bit down, and $6x becomes more violet.

Still almost no difference between $8x and $9x. And I think the contrast is higher on PAL-M, dark is too darker and bright is too brighter, compared on emulators.

Don't know if is my TV or is a peculiar thing on PAL-M.

The curved crt screen looks like it's made of 3D polygons.

If you're going to keep a CRT, must be curved, like the good old days. ;)

attachicon.gifPAL_M(NTSC).jpg NTSC

attachicon.gifPAL_M(PAL60).jpg PAL60

Thank you for those screenshots!

Now it would be great if someone could do the same test with a PAL-N console...

PAL-N was used in Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay. It's 50Hz like european PAL but with color subcarrier frequency very similar to NTSC and PAL-M.

I know that PAL-N 2600s do exist, (there's a picture in this page showing the label) but I found no schematic nor pictures of the board so I don't know if they're based on (European) PAL or NTSC versions and if the palette is different.

Thank you for those screenshots!

Now it would be great if someone could do the same test with a PAL-N console...

PAL-N was used in Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay. It's 50Hz like european PAL but with color subcarrier frequency very similar to NTSC and PAL-M.

I know that PAL-N 2600s do exist, (there's a picture in this page showing the label) but I found no schematic nor pictures of the board so I don't know if they're based on (European) PAL or NTSC versions and if the palette is different.

If it uses the NTSC sub-carrier frequency, it's probably NTSC palette. I could be wrong though. PAL-M is for all practical purposes PAL60 and Brazillian 2600 used the NTSC palette as well. I imagine the PAL TIAs were only used outside the Americas.

Received #41 in the mail today! And because I'm so impressed with the overall packaging of this title I've made my first video with an english language version unboxing of the game!

I'm amateur at this so go easy...hehe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX5xqSMvczw

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-
  • Like 2

Received #41 in the mail today! And because I'm so impressed with the overall packaging of this title I've made my first video with an english language version unboxing of the game!

I'm amateur at this so go easy...hehe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX5xqSMvczw

Very awesome video. Now I want the game even more. It's beautiful!

Please someone say there is going to be a second run of these!