IGNORED

Newell Industries source code in the public domain

This is a cross-post from the 8-bit forum. I don't love cross-posting but want to be sure you ST folks see this.

Great news! I recently interviewed Wes Newell, founder of Newell Industries (known for Omnimon and many other upgrades.) (The interview is not published yet.) He sent me hundreds of pages of documentation and source code to scan, and put online. And he's put it in the public domain!*

So, I've scanned it all and uploaded it all to the Internet Archive. The manuals are pretty straightforward, seems to be rather complete set of Newell manuals. I need your help to identify and describe a lot of the source code. With more information about exactly what this stuff is, I can amend the metadata at archive.org.

I think the Atari community will find some of this source code very exciting. So dig in and tell me what we've got.

(*I'm not entirely convinced that the Omnimon/Omniview manuals are his to put in the public domain — they may be owned by David Young of CDY Consulting) so I didn't tag that PD in the uploads.)

Atari 8-bit Source code

Atari ST Source code
MS-DOS Source code
Atari 8-Bit Manuals
Atari ST Manuals
MS-DOS Application with Manual
  • Like 5

Thanks for your efforts. A really nice find!

Thanks for the efforts!

BTW, for https://archive.org/stream/NewellIndustriesSBMsource/Newell%20Industries%20SBMST_1985-06-01#page/n1/mode/2upit seems to me that it is Atari 800 code (Atari BASIC).

I think it's ST BASIC. It has POSITION in the code while Atari BASIC uses LOCATE (iirc)

Edited by Christos

Thanks for the efforts!

BTW, for https://archive.org/stream/NewellIndustriesSBMsource/Newell%20Industries%20SBMST_1985-06-01#page/n1/mode/2upit seems to me that it is Atari 800 code (Atari BASIC).

Yep! Its A8 BASIC. Pokes to address 657 (in lines 1200 to 1500) are used to change the cursor position to display centred text. Pokes on line 1100 to addresses 710 and 712 are used to change colours.

• Like 1