IGNORED

Need help getting an NTSC 800XL to work again

ndary

i had a working NTSC 800XL that was going to upgrade with the Antonia 4M upgrade i received yesterday..

The computer was tested before i opened it and removed the RF shield, luckily all IC's are not sockets.

followed the instructions and removed U8 - 6502 processor, Removed U3 - MMU and U29, made a short jumper on pin 6,7 of U29 and mounted the 4M upgrade PCD,,,

The Atari booted to SelfTest showing ROM error.. i restored the original IC's and the 800XL does not boot anyore.. i only get to a Back screen on my monitor.

i was thinking that it something to do with contacts so i re soldered thse 3 ics; i also tried to replace them from another computer but the problem remains..

finally i installed the Antonia 4MB on another 800XL (pal) and it works fine..

I am trying to recover the NTSC 800XL, does any one dealt with a case where the ATARI 800XL does not output video and can provide tips what should i check?

Thanks you

post-1423-0-28149700-1466762638_thumb.jpg

i had a working NTSC 800XL that was going to upgrade with the Antonia 4M upgrade i received yesterday..

The computer was tested before i opened it and removed the RF shield, luckily all IC's are not sockets.

followed the instructions and removed U8 - 6502 processor, Removed U3 - MMU and U29, made a short jumper on pin 6,7 of U29 and mounted the 4M upgrade PCD,,,

The Atari booted to SelfTest showing ROM error.. i restored the original IC's and the 800XL does not boot anyore.. i only get to a Back screen on my monitor.

i was thinking that it something to do with contacts so i re soldered thse 3 ics; i also tried to replace them from another computer but the problem remains..

finally i installed the Antonia 4MB on another 800XL (pal) and it works fine..

First, just asking.. english is your 2nd language? because you started by saying luckily all IC's are not sockets??? and then show us a pic of a socketed board.. but you later say you re-soldered the ICs back.. again... I see no soldered chips on the picture of the board??

James

ahh.. OK, this may sound stupid.. sorry.. but did you also remove the jumper you made? Check around where you made that jumper.. with a magnifing glass.. any chance you shorted something there?? that by the sounds of it was the only solder point you made after it was working previously?

Have you used the service manual troubleshooting steps yet? http://www.atarimania.com/documents/atari_800XL_Field_Service_manual.pdf

James

• 2 years later...