IGNORED

What did you get rid of that you wish you hadn't?

kheller2

I was thinking this afternoon of the Atari hardware that I let go/sold and wish I hadn't.

Other than a few hardware prototypes like an XTM201 which I really wish I did not sell, I miss the XMM801 and XDM121 mint in the box that I had.

Seem XE gear in the wild is hard to find...

Edited by kheller2

My original 1200XL from 1983, and an R-Time8 cartridge because it no longer worked. (Should've kept the shell at least.)

Old desk that that my Atari equipment fit ever so perfectly in. Old Antic/Analog mags and a few early Computer Shopper magazines that had Atari type in programs.

As far as Atari goes, the only thing I've scrapped was a homebrew cassette interface that my dad built. I decided tapes were dead and I re-used the case and some of the protoboard. Kinda wish I hadn't now -- not that I need it, just that I wish I had it. At least I still have the 400, 810, 850, joysticks and carts.

WRT non-Atari stuff, I tossed or sold a TON in a move many years ago. An Apple 2e, a Platinum 2e, lots of 2gs parts, a Sun 3/50, SparcStation 20, an Ultra 1, a Mac Quadra 840AV, several Pentium towers.

Oh well.

Atari 800

Atari 800XL

Atari 810 Happy Drive

Atari 1050 enhanced drive

Sold these to pay for Atari 1040ST, Amiga 500

which did not live up to what I had hoped for - arcade quality videogames.

Only going SNES and Megadrive did deliver that.

The main reason for going A8 again - was that I always felt it's potential was

not fully realised and it lacked certain games for it.

And probably because there was nostalgia attached to it - in which I met some

amazing people with like interests.

Maybe I should try getting in contact with the guy I sold my 800 to - and see if

I can repurchase it? Though I only want to pay a fraction of what it sold for.

Harvey

All of my gear, to be honest it was taken from me without choice rather than getting rid of it but the feeling is the same, the things I had were priceless to me and I had the odd rarity that simply isn't out there ANYWHERE, but so be it...

Bad, bad times...

It also hurts that I had a C64 collection that was MASSIVE, all real items and the odd rarity that I had to BIN because no one would collect it...

The curse of moving homes, give me both of those back and I'd be a happy person...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

All of the Atari 8 bit kit I had in the 90's that I sold to buy a Megadrive (Genesis) :(

By then I also had an Amiga 500 and Atari ST and Mega ST 2, so I guess I felt that the 8 bits were outdated.

Atari 800XL, 1050, 1010 and a shed load of original software collected over 10 years.

I have now got these machines again, but the original software? Nope.

Compared to the things everyone else has described, my one regret pales but to me it was a pretty big kick-myself. It was my 1mb MIO. I loved that thing, and it was my workhorse, the backbone behind my RAMBO'd 800XL. When I came back into the scene back in April-ish, it didn't take long before I began to realize I'd never see one again. 256K 800XLs? Check. Indus drive? Check. 1050s, Atari 800s and 400s, a 1010 recorder? Check, check, and check. But darn it, I couldn't find a MIO... that is until a couple weeks ago when someone listed one on eBay for what I thought was a ridiculously low price as a Buy It Now.

I didn't even stop to read the description. Blip, and PayPal'd the payment through. Then the anxious wait for it to arrive. Would it work? Was that why it was so cheap? I consoled myself with the belief that even if it WAS broken somehow, the case and mainboard were a good foundation to start from.

It arrived, and off to my Atari room I went. Got it hooked up, plugged it in, flipped on the UPS power for everything, and turned on the MIO.

Omigoose! It WORKED!!

I spent some time refreshing my memory on how to get to the setup on it, and everything is right in my universe again. I have a 1mb MIO!!

I don't know why I like the MIO so much, especially with so many better, higher-capacity options available. I just do.

And you can be sure I won't make the same mistake again. ;)

--Tim

• Like 3

ALL my early videogames and computers. Like some others here I didn't have much of a choice, with all the crazies and religious nutjobs and stuff.. The one thing I guarded extra carefully was the Apple II and all its paraphernalia.

But emulation has fit the bill, and as I grew into it I found it to be better in almost every respect.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

ALL my early videogames and computers. Like some others here I didn't have much of a choice, with all the crazies and religious nutjobs and stuff.. The one thing I guarded extra carefully was the Apple II and all its paraphernalia.

But emulation has fit the bill, and as I grew into it I found it to be better in almost every respect.

Yeah, I'd like to echo that emulation has given me back almost everything and then some, and for that the various emulator writers especially Avery who made my favourite computer and its associated addon's live again properly via emulation deserve a mega round of applause. I do miss the real hardware and still feel the despair of the way it went with it all at the same time as my mothers death but I've got some hardware back and the emulator people have more than filled in the blanks along with all the preservation people (hey, I can add myself in to that a little) who made sure the software lived on...

Paul...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2