IGNORED

What did you get rid of that you wish you hadn't?

kheller2

I had a ton of magazines, newsletters and game manuals that I let go of in a move a long time ago. K-Power, Family Computing, Creative Computing, MicroKids.

Boxes and EA gatefold packaging for every piece of software I bought got thrown out a long time ago.

Wish I still had my original 600XL that Dad bought for me in 1984.

More recently, I bought and soon after sold a Bit 3 Fullview 80 card. But I got a good deal on another one not long after.

Non-Atari, I obtained a PET 4032 from my old elementary school when they tried to throw it out. It was a machine I actually used in 5th grade. Regret selling it on craigslist a few years back...

Yeah, I'd like to echo that emulation has given me back almost everything and then some, and for that the various emulator writers especially Avery who made my favourite computer and its associated addon's live again properly via emulation deserve a mega round of applause. I do miss the real hardware and still feel the despair of the way it went with it all at the same time as my mothers death but I've got some hardware back and the emulator people have more than filled in the blanks along with all the preservation people (hey, I can add myself in to that a little) who made sure the software lived on...

Paul...

The "and then some" part, for me is the ability to swap between systems and programs instantly without muss & fuss. I remember back in the day I had so many floppies it would take sometimes 20 minutes to find the one I was looking for. And on top of that I'd have to set the hardware up or switch over to it. And disks were so expensive (to a kid) that I never really thought to put my most favorite and often-used games in a side box for instant access. Sometimes I'd skip over what I was looking for, get frustrated I couldn't find it, and then go do something else.

Other positive points include total immunity to wear and tear, theft and loss. The emulated systems aren't going to break down or get stolen or be prone to urges to sell in the future. They're 100% reliable (within their specification) and will survive any move imaginable.

And like fine wine, they will improve with age.

• Like 1

I regret selling my original Sinclair ZX-81 and 16K memory module, and I regret giving my brother my 800, 1050 drive and 1030 modem when I bought my 1040ST in 1986. For that matter, I regret getting rid of my ST when I bought a PC clone in 1991!

I regret selling my original Sinclair ZX-81 and 16K memory module, and I regret giving my brother my 800, 1050 drive and 1030 modem when I bought my 1040ST in 1986. For that matter, I regret getting rid of my ST when I bought a PC clone in 1991!

Similar to my own regrets, only without the giving to my brother!

If they could have been easily maintained to work and if supplies had been readily available, then I'd have liked to keep the XL-era printers.

Otherwise, I only regret getting rid of my original 400 when I moved up to the 1200XL BITD. I'd like to have that 400, since it was the first computer I ever owned and the one I wrote my first games on.

I regretted selling my 48K PAL Atari 800, mint in the box, to my neighbour who wanted it for his daughter to learn on.

I later swapped an 800XL with some extra goodies to get it back.

I had to spend a day carefully peeling princess stickers off it, but otherwise machine, documentation and box all survived the ordeal, and I was relieved to have them back.

• Like 2

I'm usually pretty careful not to give up stuff I would likely regret later. My Atari hardware was taken by water damage so I didn't have any choice in it. The only thing that comes to mind at the moment that I regret getting rid of is a 1911 .45 pistol. I could shoot that thing so accurately with such little effort, it was like an extension of my hand. I replaced it with a more modern .45 striker fired pistol with a double stack magazine. 1911s are only single stack 7+1. Granted, it isn't Atari gear, but I do regret it.

My First Atari Computer . The Atari 400 16k, and the 410 tape recorder and the games for it. Also lost my first programs written in Basic due to not proper care and aging of tapes. My Atari 400 stopped working i remember, probably 1985 - 1986 somtime. i had borrowed it to a friend some months also, Wish i took proper care of it, When it became defekt, think it was just laying around, until we moved and it propably got lost then somehow. pretty huge mistake..

Both non-Atari:

Epson FX80 printer. Thought it wasn't Atari and I wouldn't need it any longer as I had a 1029 (which is crap compared to the Epson).

Schneider/Amstrad PCW 8256 (for 1 EUR plus postage) to gain some space....would be worth a lot more now.

Edited by slx

My original Lynx (sold to friend), my original 520STfm (sold to same friend), all my Jaguar games (sold hastily at a garage sale to two extremely excited teenagers).

Biggest loss was when I was working at EA in 1998 and the "warranty" department (department that replaced defective disks when people sent in dead originals) decided to stop supporting all old classic titles, (Atari, Commodore, ST, Amiga, Apple II/gs) and dumped about 50 boxes of gatefold games (unopened) and other misc software about 2 feet from my cubicle. I didn't want to be greedy. I should of been greedy, but I did get away with 10 unopened copies of MULE, Archon, and Skyfox (each). I really should of just grabbed it all, or at least tried to get a set of games. Ah well.

Nothing. I have never sold or lost any hardware or software ever. I don't know why? I feel its all so important no matter how common it is. I do not have a massive collection but to me it is good enough.

I think I just have a disorder..

• Like 2

When I first moved to the ST I got rid of all my 8bit stuff. I had no idea how rare a lot of my software & peripherals were. At the time you couldn't get much for 8bit stuff so the 130XE, modded drives, peripherals, books, software, mags etc all went for about GBP100. Better than nothing but about 5% of what I paid.

What was probably worse was selling the Falcon just after Atari collapsed, think I got £100 for that too including software, video mods, go faster CPU, PC emulator card etc.

Finally, the Jaguar - complete with some review games on EPROM cards, Atari paperwork, ads, videos etc (I had been reviewing Jag games for one of the UK mags). I don't remember getting much for that lot - £20 or £30 the lot

I had almost the full run of Enter Magazine that I wish I'd kept. But the biggest Atari-related thing I'm kicking myself over is an Atari 1200XL I found at a thrift store. I thought it didn't work, so I sold it online. I would still wish I'd kept it even if it wasn't working, but my buyer said it powered right up for him. Gah!

Oh well, I still doubled my investment, so I can't beat myself up too much...

• 2 weeks later...

My nearly complete collection of ANTIC magazines, a pile of carts, a 1020 plotter and Happy Drive when my 130XE died and I moved to a Mac Plus when I was about 13. I didn't get squat for it either. Gave it all to one of my dad's friends for a 20MB SCSI drive and 4MB of RAM for my Plus. My parents ditched their ST's for Mac IIci's around the same time.

I also miss my original Lynx I gave to a friend a while later.