IGNORED

Dreamcade Replay

Tried to do a search here but couldn't find anything...am tempted to throw in some bones for one of these, can anyone comment on these?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1329525418/dreamcade-replay-universal-vintage-gaming-console

Been really looking for a bar tabletop arcade machine with an 8 inch screen for a long while and this looks like it may work for me and they seem like legit people.

I have a strong feeling that it's a Raspberry Pi based system.

The systems available for it plus the way it looks... I'll be honest these already exist.

The only thing they're really offering is an easy to get service that lets you download everything.

I saw this same basic thing on Adafruit.

https://www.adafruit.com/products/2706

and

https://www.adafruit.com/products/2707

There is also this guy who sells a whole kit in differing varieties.

http://www.retrobuiltgames.com/the-build-page/porta-pi-arcade-kit/

You can buy just the wood, the wood and electronics, etc.

http://www.retrobuiltgames.com/diy-kits-shop/

It's clearly a windows 10 system. I don't see any point at all. Just use a PC.

But nowadays this is how things go. You want to play mame on PC? need a kickstarter for that. You couldn#t possibly think buying an arcade stick and just playing with the PC you already have is a good idea.

And considering this will probably be some atom processor, even any crap pc you already have will probably outperform this anyway.

I recommend either the Madcatz TE fightsticks or Hori Real Arcade Pro.

And now indows 10 as they want to install, but windows 7.

But if you want mame and 16 bit consoles just go with a pi. It's cheap, easy to use and really well supported.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It's spreading:

Hello,

This is a message from Kickstarter’s Integrity team. We're writing to inform you that a project you backed, Dreamcade Replay - One Console To Rule Them All, is the subject of an intellectual property dispute.

The project has been removed from public view until the dispute is resolved, which can take up to 30 days. The project’s funding and the countdown to its deadline have been stopped. If the project becomes available again, the countdown will continue and the new deadline will extend past the original deadline for as much time as the project was unavailable. You can find out more by reading our Copyright Policy and our Trademark Policy.

Original deadline

Wed, Aug 16 2017 8:12 pm EDT

Time remaining if project becomes available
19 days

Your pledge is currently still active. If you’d like to manage your pledge or reach out to the creator directly, you can still do so through the project page.

It's spreading:

Hello,

This is a message from Kickstarter’s Integrity team. We're writing to inform you that a project you backed, Dreamcade Replay - One Console To Rule Them All, is the subject of an intellectual property dispute.

Maybe this is wild speculation on my part but would it have to do with the Dreamcade Replay looking like a certain box with an Atari name on it? I'm thinking the Retron 77 is having the same issue but could be wrong.

Anyway I know I can run emulators on my PC better than any microconsole and would actually use Steam to stream them upstairs. But if there's a retro looking device that can both play emulated games locally with an arcade stick attached and stream modern PC games than I'll still be interested (as long as it runs better than the Pi).

Edited by MrMaddog
  • Like 1

Maybe this is wild speculation on my part but would it have to do with the Dreamcade Replay looking like a certain box with an Atari name on it? I'm thinking the Retron 77 is having the same issue but could be wrong.

Nevermind, just read the Retron 77 issue was with Stella. Damn these Atari box threads are all over the place...

Here is the notice sent to Kickstarter:

Dreamcade Replay - One Console To Rule Them All [submitted by LIME, LLC]

Date: 2017-07-27T13:58:52.000-04:00

Sender
[Private]
LIME, LLC
132 Fayerweather Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
US

Sent via online form

Recipient
Kickstarter, PBC
58 Kent Street
Brooklyn, NY 11222
USA

Re: Dreamcade Replay - One Console To Rule Them All

Description of copyrighted material: Dozens of classic Atari video game properties, as further described in my letter to Kickstarter delivered to you today via USPS priority express, tracking number EK822788051US.

Description of infringing material: A hardware console pre-installed with dozens of classic Atari video game properties, as further described in my letter to Kickstarter delivered to you today via USPS priority express, tracking number EK822788051US.

Edited by vcoleiro1

• 9 months later...

Any new info on this? I've been trying to find some additional info on it, but nothing other than their kickstarter and website, which seems pretty vague to me. Seems to suggest that it's gonna link to existing internet archive sites to play roms, I guess? I'd like to see if we'll be able to load our own roms, or if it's streaming from those sites only, or download, etc etc.

I preordered one, so not too concerned with taking a chance, but would like to find some concrete details if possible.

Thanks!

Any new info on this? I've been trying to find some additional info on it, but nothing other than their kickstarter and website, which seems pretty vague to me. Seems to suggest that it's gonna link to existing internet archive sites to play roms, I guess? I'd like to see if we'll be able to load our own roms, or if it's streaming from those sites only, or download, etc etc.

I preordered one, so not too concerned with taking a chance, but would like to find some concrete details if possible.

Thanks!

There are some preliminary reviews on YouTube you can check out. It looks very easy to either stream games from the Internet Archive or add games to its onboard storage. It looks like it's just about as easy as these types of things can get, especially given the overall sophistication of this unit and so many onboard emulators. I'm excited to be getting mine.

It's an interesting price point for something that bundles Win 10, 2.4 GHz proc/4GB RAM/32 GB SSD in a ready-to-go box.

But there's way too many question marks for my liking. Win 10 on low specs = lag/performance issues? Streaming from archive.org....umm, what? Streaming from archive. org + Win10 on low specs = even more lag? Are all your emulators licensed? And so on.

I also really do not like their overall vague and a rather snide style of advertising. They take potshots at the "mini" consoles for having "few games" but themselves offer "100 games", the rest is "easy to add". Lol. And what on earth is this:

"finding and adding your favorite games is just a few clicks with our Retro-Reload Google Safe Search Software that installs and configures everything. [...] Plus, all downloads are from vetted, safe sites, keeping your system and family away from viruses, as well as intrusive, or even inappropriate advertising."

Boohoo! Viruses! It's like a bad anti-piracy ad from 1997. But more importantly - what? "Retro-Reload Google Safe Search Software". You mean Good Guy Google is now helping find warez' n romz? And do they keep you and your family safe from the copyright holders? Or, you mean you've just licensed everything?

And their anti-Pie jibes are beyond lame:

"Don't compare the Replay to a Raspberry Pi. Homebrew Pi machines run at half the speed, and can't run nearly many emulators--like N64, or Playstation. Additionally, they run freeware, limited front-ends."

Run at "half a speed" - of what? "Freeware" as a pejorative? Stay classy. "Limited front ends"? I'd say anything but...anyway, strong words, especially for somebody who's yet to show theirs.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I received my Dreamcade Replay a week or two back. It's definitely not plug and play. You have to go through a half-working Windows 10 setup. I was eventually able to get through that, remove the requirement for login security, and have it load straight to the emulator interface. Once through all that, it generally works OK, but is still something of a kludge. I do like how you can download games on demand. Anyway, so far this is yet another in a long line of disappointing projects that promises a truly plug and play emulator experience and then fails to deliver on that promise. If I really wanted to go through extensive setup and configuration efforts, I'd just roll my own solution again.

• Like 6

Well said all. The amount of time learning how someone else put something together is far better spent on other things and perhaps your own emulator rig/project. And when done, you'll likely know how it it works and remember how it works in the future. Because it's your work.

When it comes to wanting something ready-made, the most I tell people nowadays is to buy a small form factor PC. And pick out the various emulators and set them up yourselves. You'll feel some accomplishment as you work through a wintertime project.

I used to champion projects like this Dreamcade Replay, SeeDee, R77, god-only-knows how many other pre-configured systems. But I found out I was getting disappointing feedback. I never got such complaints on roll-your-own material. When it comes to DIY there is an inherent barrier for entry. It seems like the people that take it on have the skills or at least the disposition to acquire the skills needed to make it work.

With pre-made, advertising nonsense is high, expectations are high, and the end-results mediocre. It seems like all they have to do is dangle a collage of vintage game logos and people come a-running!

Anyway I know I can run emulators on my PC better than any microconsole and would actually use Steam to stream them upstairs. But if there's a retro looking device that can both play emulated games locally with an arcade stick attached and stream modern PC games than I'll still be interested (as long as it runs better than the Pi).

Except that few, or none, will.. And most of these "microconsole" emulators aren't using the latest and greatest version of a given emulator anyways. Or even the right one!

If you want Atari 400/800/5200 emulation. And you want it good, you'll be using Altirra. Nothing else. A DIY rig will make that happen. Not a microconsole. Or look at the stink of the RetroN77. It's sold as cartridge-based system. And it gets the cartridge collector's panties all bunched up. It plays about 60% of carts ever made. And the devs are trying to justify it one way or another.

FACT: R77 Plays about 60-70% of the cartridges you feed it.

..and the community is not satisfied with that.

looks cool but i will just be using our newly built pc

Sounds like a plan. You know, back in the day, right around the dot-com era, that's when software emulation started coming out. It was new, novel, and quite the thing. To me it was not amazing, but astounding! All the old videogames I had as baby and young child would once again be available.

And there is a rich heritage of 20+ years development behind the software emulators that make it all work.

All these multi-emulator boxes and replay this and retro that and needful nostalgic crap that's coming to market are just cash grabs. None of these systems are crafted with the attention to detail that makes things work smoothly and enjoyably.

The current formula is:

Someone sees the retrogaming craze running on high octane. They think to themselves how can I get in on it and make money. They discover free emulators written by one or two guys, take it, slap some hardware on it, and sell it as new game console. And people flock to it all in droves and spades. Message boards explode in a fury of text gushing all over anything with a Pac-Man or Mario mascot on it.. Ughh!

Edited by Keatah

Some points..

But there's way too many question marks for my liking. Win 10 on low specs = lag/performance issues? Streaming from archive.org....umm, what? Streaming from archive. org + Win10 on low specs = even more lag? Are all your emulators licensed? And so on.
I understand (but have not bothered to check into) Windows 10 and a USB keyboard can introduce 200ms lag, that's right 200ms of lag straight away. It has to do with the keylogging and internet connections and all the bloated irrelevant things going on in a Windows 10 system.

I also really do not like their overall vague and a rather snide style of advertising. They take potshots at the "mini" consoles for having "few games" but themselves offer "100 games", the rest is "easy to add". Lol. And what on earth is this:

Boohoo! Viruses! It's like a bad anti-piracy ad from 1997. But more importantly - what? "Retro-Reload Google Safe Search Software". You mean Good Guy Google is now helping find warez' n romz? And do they keep you and your family safe from the copyright holders? Or, you mean you've just licensed everything?

And their anti-Pie jibes are beyond lame:

Run at "half a speed" - of what? "Freeware" as a pejorative? Stay classy. "Limited front ends"? I'd say anything but...anyway, strong words, especially for somebody who's yet to show theirs.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Marketing. All these retroconsoles are exercises in marketing it would seem.

There's no emulation rig like the one you build and configure yourself.

Yeah, sure but I still believe there is a market for a properly executed pre-made one. So far, all the attempt have fallen flat, not helped by the makers unrealistic promises, overreaching and some downright hubris, like in this case.

Indeed..I don't know about the hubris.. But the issue I see with a lot of these pre-made boxes is they make compromises for cost. And they make general assumptions of what people want. Assumptions so erroneous that they end up doing nothing good. None of them are particularly well thought out either. I mean they work, they get the job done. But none evoke passion or desire in the gamer. None have that special allure that draws the player back for "just one more game". That's because performance is restricted in some manner, cheap parts, fast development time, doing strange or odd things with the configurations. Unergonomic operation. Using something in a manner for which it was not intended. Something. It's a quite lengthy list.

When I build an emulation rig for an acquaintance, I only do 1-2 a year, they benefit from the latest hardware and best emulators the community has to offer - and my years of personal experience of setting them up correctly. I also give a personal hands-on tutorial about how to upgrade and maintain the rig. I invite you over to take a hand in assembling it too.

Software Emulation still isn't at the level of the original hardware it replaces. For the moment I grant that. However it's close, very close. So why use software emulation when it isn't absolutely 100% of the way there? Because of the extraordinary benefits it offers. Convenience. Reliability. Versatility.. All are paramount. And the accuracy gap is closing every year anyways.

I craft my rigs with with a passion and use only the best of the best components. I take my gaming very seriously. The same zest & zeal I exhibit in breaking a hi-score is identical to what goes into the construction and set-up of each system. I personally guarantee you - you play a classic title (or a modern-day advanced sim) on one of my configurations you will feel the fervor, the excitement, the magic; all over again. Just like in the 1970's and 1980's. No. No. Forget I even said that. It'll be much better than that. An entirely new experience. Atmospheric. Moody. All-encompassing. Fresh.

After all, you're playing on premium hardware!