IGNORED

O/T: My Black Cat "Lucky"

Lucky started having bowel movements consisting only of dark, liquid blood on Monday. This may have been caused by a virus. But she also starved herself, and dehydrated herself, and she lost a lot of blood. Now, all of her cell/blood related numbers are very low. She basically has no immune system. She is being given lots of fluids and injections to rehyrdate herself, restore lost calories, and make her stronger. On Saturday morning, they are going to do a blood transfusion to replenish her platelets, plasma, and red blood cells. She is in very critical condition.

I visited Lucky for about one hour today, following her blood transfusion. Although still very lethargic, she's doing a lot better than yesterday, when her eyes were glazed and she was barely breathing. I watched her pick at a Fancy Feast meal on her own. They still are giving her 50,000 things through IVs (fluids, nutrients, steroids, antibiotics, plasma, and even cells). She will probably stay at PETS each night until her ultrasound is completed on Tuesday, which will determine the source of the original problem. Hopefully, it is something like an infection, which can be remedied easily. Other problems, such as an abdominal tear, will require surgery. If it's cancer, it may be too late. She still needs all the prayers she can get.

• Like 1

I woke up to some bad news about Lucky. Her blood transfusion is not "holding up" because of the original problem of her blood leaking out of her rectum. In order to keep her alive until the ultrasound on Tuesday (which will determine the problem and whether it's fixable), she is going to need another blood transfusion between now and then.

Sorry for the bad news and all the trouble with your pets lately. Have they made radiographs of her abdomen yet? Sometimes you can figure out if an abdominal tear is likely present or get the diagnosis of the problem with x-rays alone (not 100% of the time, however), which could get help figure out what the problem could be much earlier than Tuesday? Seems a shame to put yourself, the cat, and your bank account through all of this just waiting until Tuesday but if she is not stable enough to move to another hospital to get an earlier ultrasound appointment then you may be stuck. Best wishes and I'll keep her in my prayers!

• Like 1

Sorry for the bad news and all the trouble with your pets lately. Have they made radiographs of her abdomen yet? Sometimes you can figure out if an abdominal tear is likely present or get the diagnosis of the problem with x-rays alone (not 100% of the time, however), which could get help figure out what the problem could be much earlier than Tuesday? Seems a shame to put yourself, the cat, and your bank account through all of this just waiting until Tuesday but if she is not stable enough to move to another hospital to get an earlier ultrasound appointment then you may be stuck. Best wishes and I'll keep her in my prayers!

For whatever reason, radiographs were never mentioned.

This facility does not do procedures such as radiographs and ultrasounds on weekends and holidays. Lucky was admitted to the hospital on Friday evening. The timing is awful. I wish there wasn't a holiday (sorry, you 4th of July lovers).

A transfer to a (much bigger) University Hospital was suggested, but it is very far away and much more costly. And on this particular Sunday, I am not even in town.

Thank you for your kind words.

I visited Lucky shortly after midnight. A second blood transfusion was put on hold, because her blood levels had become stable throughout the day. But now they've dropped again. It is painful to see Lucky so alert, so wide-eyed (staring at me and the hospital room around her), and so warm to the touch, knowing that in just a few days, she could potentially become an icy corpse. Given how well she looks right now, this thought is absolutely nauseating.

It's nice that there are people who go through with extensive medical care for their pets, even if they can't easily afford it.

When my last dog was going through a series of cancer treatments, I parted with a valuable game to offset the cost of the bills.

• Like 1

They were able to hold off on Lucky's second blood transfusion for 40 hours, because her blood levels either improved or remained stable. But the doctor just called me at midnight on Tuesday to inform me that her blood levels have dropped significantly, so a second blood transfusion is currently taking place. This will buy more time until Lucky's ultrasound on Tuesday morning, which will determine why she is no longer able to make red blood cells on her own, and whether or not her condition marks the end of her life. Prayers, please.

Lucky's ultrasound revealed a cancerous mass in her intestines. That mass is bleeding, and it's the cause of her blood-filled bowel movements, and her inability to retain a normal red blood cell count. Her entire abdomen is also filled with blood. An emergency surgery is scheduled for this Wednesday to remove the mass, stop the bleeding, and clean up the abdomen. While this surgery can be performed with potential good results, that is assuming that Lucky can make it through the surgery. Her body is in an extremely weak and anemic state, so it is possible that her body might reject the surgery. I spent all day trying to arrange ways to pay for this. I also visited Lucky, and although her spirits are high and she clearly wants to continue living, her body might not agree. On Wednesday, I will find out if I have successfully extended Lucky's life, or if she grows a set of wings and soars above the clouds. Just in case, I said goodbye to her today.