IGNORED

Wanted: Common 2600 Carts - Get a free AtariAge Sign!

Albert

Am I wrong or was so-called 3D printing considered for this manufacturing process?

3D printing is good for prototyping (and I have at least 10 carts that were 3D printed already), but not really feasible for churning out hundreds or thousands of carts. Injection mold production is the way to go, but it does require a substantial investment in a mold (or molds) before you can produce plastic parts.

..Al

For the record, Al could care less if they work or not. NTSC or PAL. Makes no difference. Just nice clean undamaged cartridge shells :)

This is true, although I'm unlikely to get many PAL carts as donors, as international shipping is pretty expensive..

..Al

Personally, I prefer using original carts as donors for controlled community releases. (on all cartridge game systems) Especially with regards to the mainstream systems from Atari, Nintendo, and Sega. Too many tree huggers give too much hell on the other forums for this practice, having no idea just how many millions of them were (over) produced during the systems lifespan.

Especially carts with ripped, torn, damaged, or missing labels. They are the perfect candidates. You'd be shocked just how much overstock many mom 'n pop stores have in their back rooms. You go through them all, grab a box load of the most common carts with the worst labels, and offer them $1 a piece, and they will sell them all.

(you won't make any money with this deal, but it will help Al continue to bring us what we want!)

Most of the carts I see in my area people think they are ultra rare so they end up asking way too much. Maybe that's different where you are but I'd rather see a working game get a home before it gets repurposed.

Couldn't someone with a cnc machine and a small block of aluminum create a plastic mold. There has got to be a machines or two who could turn one out?

Most of the carts I see in my area people think they are ultra rare so they end up asking way too much. Maybe that's different where you are but I'd rather see a working game get a home before it gets repurposed.

Couldn't someone with a cnc machine and a small block of aluminum create a plastic mold. There has got to be a machines or two who could turn one out?

Maybe a Kickstarter is in order?

• Like 2

Hey Albert, do you care if we remove the boards from inside & just send you the carts? (complete of course, with the screw & the dust doors / springs / etc. where applicable, but just no board inside)

I do not care, feel free to remove the boards. Also, no need to put the screws back in (you can include them in a bag), since I'd need to remove them anyway. Removing the boards will make the package lighter, so that's always a positive.

..Al

• 3 weeks later...