IGNORED

32k expansion for the side port - released

jedimatt42

So... Having been out of the loop a while, I am coming back to.this and am very excited about the release!!!

I know the nano is back in production now, but it would seem like this 32k board would be a wonderful starting point for a stacked 'mini-PEB,' where a new expansion card like this one could be designed for serial and parallel outs, and another one that handles disk storage--all connected together via the brilliant pass-through port on this piece.

This would preferable to me, even with.the increased costs, over the nano because of the flexibility of individual components. It is why we love the PEB... Expandability.

That is a lofty wish, and one to which I would love to contribute in any way I can.

Thanks for the excellent hardware, matt. This is such an cool step forward, and would make an excellent pairing with the FlashROM for unexpanded users.

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 4

... but it would seem like this 32k board would be a wonderful starting point for a stacked 'mini-PEB,' where a new expansion card like this one could be designed for serial and parallel outs, and another one that handles disk storage--all connected together via the brilliant pass-through port on this piece.

You've read my mind Chris Owen! (Great minds really do think alike! ;) )

Matt's gadget really excites me because if it's ability to expand. The NanoPEB's design is 'somewhat limiting'. I also have faith that there WILL be add-ons down the road.

This would preferable to me, even with.the increased costs, over the nano because of the flexibility of individual components.

Other benefits of components:

1) If one thing goes bad, you don't lose everything.

2) No need to buy stuff you don't need.

3) Expand as needed, so even "IF" it did cost more, the expense is broken down over time.

... make an excellent pairing with the FlashROM for unexpanded users.

So right your are! A FlashROM 99 with it's extensive library of ready to download programs paired with 32K unit gives people the ability to do most of what most people do on the TI anyway... in less space and with a lot less expense.

Edited by --- Ω ---
  • Like 1

So... Having been out of the loop a while, I am coming back to.this and am very excited about the release!!!

Thanks for the excellent hardware, matt. This is such a cool step forward, and would make an excellent pairing with the FlashROM for unexpanded users.

Thanks! I am glad to see you are back, and catching up! Pairing with the FlashROM was the primary goal, enabling that potential. I am gratified to hear that echoed :)

... it would seem like this 32k board would be a wonderful starting point...

Things are in the works.

---

And just an update: more pcboards are out at the printers... I expedited the return shipping.

As soon as I get those, I'll get back to soldering my fingers off. :) backorders need to be full-filled, and 2 will be prizes at Fest West 2017 :) Should be able to have more in Greg's inventory at Fest West too.

-M@

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

@jedimatt42

I just received my board today. I think I literally bought the last one you had. :-D

I haven't had time to play with it yet (had to go back to work...ugh).

I have 6 or so TI's. One of them is "pimped" out with this board (tonight at least), an F18a and FR99. All of this new technology is turning my TI into one nice rig. :-D

Who would have thought that 9 year old kid in 1982 (me) learning on his first computer (TI) connected to a B/W TV with 4-5 carts and a tape drive would be using the same computer now with VGA graphics, unlimited software via SD storage and now, tons of memory to run it all in 2017?

Back then, I had a few carts to play but 90% of my software was typed in from magazines.

Anyway...I'm rambling. Thank you for creating such a great product. I'm going to have so much fun with it.

And, to ramble some more, I don't think you're selling the expansion header enough. I'm tinkering with electronics and I'm about to finish wire-wrapping a 65C02 computer (yes...don't hate me). I cannot wait to put that expansion header to use. A small AY-3-8910 shield would be awesome. Or maybe full SID with emulation? So many ideas!

• Like 3

The schematic somewhere on page #5 of this thread is the final schematic I used. This is all just derivative of Theiry's work over on the TI Tech Pages.

My schematic doesn't cover decoupling capacitors, which you should have on each of the logic chips. Or power routing... I used 0.1uf caps for decoupling. I also use HCT chips instead of LS chips, but they are pin compatible, so the schematic needed no change.

I use a silly transistor inversion trick to control the LED instead of Theiry's inverter chip, as I no longer needed to invert anything else.

There is now a link to the correct post at the end of Post #1.

-M@

• Like 1

Could I buy one from japan with PayPal?

I replied earlier in a PM, but forgot to come back to the thread.

I sell these exclusively through Greg at Arcadeshopper.com. His web store doesn't directly take paypal, but he will usually accommodate sales through paypal.

His store usually shows out of stock, but purchase on backorder is enabled, and he'll ping me and I'll build some more to fill the backorders. I have materials in stock to build 24 more boards at the moment.

-M@