IGNORED

Who Watched Man Vs. Snake?

VectorGamer

man-vs-snake.png

If you ever played the game "Snake" on your early model Nokia cellphone, then you're familiar with "Nibbler," the original "snake" game. MAN VS SNAKE tells the story of Tim McVey (the gamer not the bomber) who in 1984, on a single quarter (and over forty-four hours of non-stop play) was the first person in history to score over one billion points on a video game. This historic accomplishment led the City of Ottumwa to declare a civic day in Tim's honor (Tim McVey Day) and present him with the key to the city. Twenty-five-years later, when rumors of a higher score surface online, attributed to Italian kick-boxing champion Enrico Zanetti, it calls into question everything Tim McVey has believed for decades and forces him to make a decision: either set a new world record, or risk losing his legacy forever. Now middle-aged and out of shape, Tim discovers that reclaiming the Nibbler title will not be easy. Packed with unexpected twists and turns, the film documents one of the epic achievements of the classic gaming era and proves a powerful tale of the triumph of the human spirit.

I watched Man Vs. Snake last night on Amazon Prime. Go to their www it has a listing on all services it's available on.

It was a good flick, but after digesting it all I couldn't help but think that this was just a repackaged King of Kong. I don't want to say why cuz I'll then spoil it for people who haven't watched it.

Some have said on social media that this flick is better than King of Kong. I don't know about that. I don't think it's better or worse.

It's entertaining though so give it a watch.

Trailer

Videos from Mistah MegaManFan

• 3 months later...

I watched it a while ago. Was pretty good and typically enjoy historical documentaries like this, but always come away feeling very sad - on many levels, for many people. haha

One point that kinda bugged, was how Twin Galaxies decided to ditch integrity and allow the Italian's "score" that was never properly verified, through their own official high-score entry system. Got the feeling since Vey's Nibbler score was getting crushed over and over, that Day just decided what the hell. In good "spirit", to just acknowledge and enter his score, only to be cast further down the line anyway due to all the later entries. The politics of dancing and video games I guess. :lol:

…and the fact they didn't even have a Nibbler machine for that first high score competition!?! Had to run around and eventually cobbled a couple together. W_T_F?!

…and the Canadian dude's exaggerated score, that was a result of faster gameplay due to a chip that had been interchanged or malfunctioned? sigh

What a debacle this shit always turn out to be! :rolling:

• Like 1

There was no chip interchanged. It was a chip malfunctioning! Come on.

I saw this movie. The accounts by Italian media from back in the day were valid enough to accept the score. I would had voted to accept it as well.

There is no debacle. Competition eventually sorts it out in the end.

Dwayne Richard is a tough opponent in competition, I lost to him in an arcade tourney last weekend.

Edited by Crimefighter

I really liked it and thought it was cool to see what the competitors went through to get the record breaking scores. There are a few video game documentaries on Hulu & Netflix. I've been watching them over the last few days. Really interesting seeing struggles from developers & players and how they push through them. Haven't found King of Kong yet but want to see it too.

I to was at the Underground Retrocade event. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I thought it was way better than King of Kong, and I really loved the animated Walter Day in the film.

I just wish the panel was recorded.

EDIT: RacerX, I notice you have a few photos of Dauber and myself in your album.

Edited by Inky

King of Kong is kind of hard to beat in terms of its initial impact. Sure, by now, the curtain has been pulled back to reveal that KoK is mostly a work of fiction, but it sure was cool to see for the first time and believe it was an actual documentary.

Man vs. Snake is a really good film in its own right. I loved the animated sequences; thought that was a very cool and creative way to present the material.

Watching movies like this, though, I always come away with the vague sense that I'm glad I have the relationship with games that I do, rather than the relationship that the guys on the screen have with games. It's almost like sitting at a bar enjoying a good beer while observing a slobbering alcoholic.