IGNORED

Whats your take on Wii U Starfox?

There's a little thread about it here

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/251779-star-fox-zero-on-wii-u/

I need to get back to it ... the controls are a little confusing but seem like they could be mastered. I think the secret is to keep the game pad inline with the screen, like the "reclining" pictures here: http://kotaku.com/star-fox-zero-the-kotaku-review-1772399410

Nintendo stuff so rarely goes on deep discount. If you're interested, I'd pick it up, but maybe that's just because it's what I did.

I was aggravated with the controls. Played it for a couple of hours then gave up and traded it in. Not so much that they are hard to adapt to, but more so because they are completely unnecessary. There are so many free-roaming sections as well instead of linear rail-shooting sections, and the little bot sections where it turns into a third-person shooter is, again, completely unnecessary. Combining that with having to take your eyes off the TV, it kills the flow of the game and it's not even that much fun. Star Fox Zero to me is something that is unnecessarily over complicated and it ruined the experience for me. The game also has more of a "Platinum Games" look (for obvious reasons) and less of a "Nintendo" look, and so it doesn't have the charm of the older games in the franchise. There's a reason people still love Star Fox 64, and Star Fox Zero completely misses that point.

I'll be honest in that I bought the game immediately at launch, and have yet to open or try it out. :lol: I keep planning on doing it so I can give the game it's fair shake so hopefully that will be soon.

Oh my, you're me, and I'm you. The world doesn't need two of either of us.

I'm a minority here but I really enjoyed it. I need to finish it still but I've had a lot of fun. I never worried about things being necessary or not and just enjoyed the gameplay. I thought there was a bit more problem solving than 64 (which I still own and play) and I thought the non flying parts were fun. Gamepad play is certainly odd and I wouldn't want tons of games using it but I'm the instance I enjoy it.

Edit: I had lots of fun with the robot!

Edited by omegadot
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Austin, did you give Star Fox Guard a try? I'm curious what you or anyone else in here like Omegadot may think about that one.

I'm considering tracking that game down used since it looks like it could be fun for the $10 or so asking price. Star Fox U on the other hand not only has the widespread control criticism keeping me away, but also has to contend with me not loving the source of much of its inspiration. As a big fan of the original Star Fox, the popular Nintendo 64 fell flat for me for various reasons. So stuff like the voice work is actually a deterrent rather than a draw.

I do love the graphical style present here though. It looks like what Star Fox 64 would look like it it were remastered in HD or remade while attempting to stay true to its original vision. Wouldn't mind seeing that actually happen on a Nintendo console to some of their popular N64 classics.

At least they've done something along those lines with the two N64 Zelda's, albeit on the small screen.

Edited by Atariboy

Yup. In general, I prefer 3DS gaming to Wii U, at least for single player stuff. The Starfox and 3D Zelda remakes are lovely.

Me too! Why is that? Super Mario Mario 3D world was better on the 3DS for me, as are most titles. I think it's because the 3DS is one of the last systems without the need for constant online updates and other hazards of "modern" gaming.

Me too! Why is that? Super Mario Mario 3D world was better on the 3DS for me, as are most titles. I think it's because the 3DS is one of the last systems without the need for constant online updates and other hazards of "modern" gaming.

3DS needs constant online updates, too -- though they're quick and painless. For me, it's because gaming on the TV feels like an event, a big deal, something I have to negotiate with the family (my kid will see me doing it and want to play something together). 3DS and other handhelds are more intimate, personal, private -- the way I mostly played games as a kid. Not to mention my eyesight seems to favor having the screen close up. Being able to quit at a moment's notice is nice, too.

Austin, did you give Star Fox Guard a try? I'm curious what you or anyone else in here like Omegadot may think about that one.

Nope. I saw it was a tower defense game and wasn't really interested. With how underwhelming the main game was, I was just like, "Meh", and skipped it completely. I probably should have at least loaded it up once.

I do love the graphical style present here though. It looks like what Star Fox 64 would look like it it were remastered in HD or remade while attempting to stay true to its original vision. Wouldn't mind seeing that actually happen on a Nintendo console to some of their popular N64 classics.

It sort of does. The big thing with it is that it has a clear Platinum Games look to it. Not a bad thing, but it lacks that Nintendo polish. The geometry of many of the polygonal models are also simplistic and dated looking, more apparent when you're facing the game on a 50"-ish TV.