IGNORED

Breakpoints

mantadoc

You're asking a question that is substantially more complicated than you think. :)

First: Classic99 can only save CPU memory off to a cartridge image, not GROM. So your example cart there can not be converted in Classic99. I don't know if there is any automated way to convert a GROM title.

I suspect that answers your question, if you really want to dig into how GPL programs work we can cover it, but it's tedious in Classic99. ;)

• Like 1

The file, lobsterg.bin, is definitely a GROM file. You can walk through the program by following the GROM header to discover where it starts (GROM >6038). At that point, the screen is cleared and 4 MOVE operations move 16604 (I think) bytes of code from GROM to RAM. (The first 28-byte MOVE is to VRAM.) Then, an XML statement starts the ALC program at >A000. So, you were lucky that the program's entry point after the copying operation is, in fact, >A000. That is certainly not guaranteed; though, perhaps it is a convention among programmers who write that kind of program.

...lee

Edited by Lee Stewart

LobsterG is a program I converted in my very early days that started life as a EA#5 program. ;) The reason your conversion works is that all the GROM code does is copy it to RAM and execute it from there - it was never really a GROM program. Apparently someone deleted the 'Cart Conv By Tursi' text before re-sharing it, but that's definitely a conversion from my old conversion tool (it's byte for byte identical except that the credit string has been zeroed out and the length of the cartridge title has been corrected (it was oddly very long in my original conversion ;) ).

But cartridges that run actual GROM code, as your Starship program, aren't going to work as a straight copy.

• Like 1

You're asking a question that is substantially more complicated than you think. :)

First: Classic99 can only save CPU memory off to a cartridge image, not GROM. So your example cart there can not be converted in Classic99. I don't know if there is any automated way to convert a GROM title.

I suspect that answers your question, if you really want to dig into how GPL programs work we can cover it, but it's tedious in Classic99. ;)

Not like I have not written a ton on this and videos on how to do GPL in Classic99 as 90% f the time that is all I use.

Just look for GPL and GPLHOW2 videos I put out. Also Atari Age has a listing of my files in GPL section: