IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

If you intend to share the list with ATGames then you're gonna need to be more specific about the game issues than "flawed". Since people are posting the problems it wouldn't \be hard to include what the flaw is.

There's a spot for more specific information, check it out from the link in the other thread.

I wanted to have a middle ground between "won't start" and "works as expected." Some flaws are OK and some are game breaking.

It's the 2600 game from the Flashback 2 console, just like Wizard, Yars' Return, and a few others like that. Armchair Arcade has the full list.

They're all 2600 games except for Frogger, which is an arcade-style remake. The console Flashback has an arcade-style remake of Space Invaders, but it's not on the portable.

It doesn't sound as if we'll ever see 5200 or 8-bit Atari games remade outside of personal emulator collections.

It's the 2600 game from the Flashback 2 console, just like Wizard, Yars' Return, and a few others like that.

SOLD! I had my FB2 modded and the switch from cart back to built-in games doesn't work very well so I only play carts on it. As a result I have been missing those custom built-in games. Now I can play them again along with awesome homebrew on-the-go. I can't wait for this thing to be in stores.

• Like 2

Anyone know of any Black Friday deals yet? I see that the FB7 will be $30 at Toys r Us, but no sign of the portable in any ads.

That's probably because the portable will not be out until after Black Friday. November 29th to be exact. Your best bet is to obtain a 20% off coupon from Bed, Bath & Beyond. If they are selling them for $50, you will get it for $40 with the coupon. That's not a bad deal...

• Like 4

Everyone's different of course, but I'd happily pay the extra $20 just to NOT have to deal with crowds and stupidity on the day after Thanksgiving! We don't recognize Black Friday, we observe Buy Nothing Day instead.

Preach it sista! Thanksgiving (and the Friday following) is for family, football, and general couch potatoing as we loaf off our Tryptophan (turkey) overdose.

• Like 1

I just got another email from Toys R Us...

I wonder if this is anything to worry about.

Something tells me these aren't going to be on eBay selling for $500+ however. :D

MrBlackCat

****begin paste****

Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for placing your recent order with us.
We wanted to inform you that there is a delay in fulfilling the item listed below in your order. Please accept our apologies for this delay.
At this time we do not have a ship date for the item. Please note, your credit card will not be charged for the item until the order is shipped.
Order Number: ********
Delayed Item: ********
Description: Atari Flashback Portable Handheld Player
Quantity/Price: 1 @ $39.99
30-Day Policy
If the item(s) is not shipped by 12/15/2016 the item will be automatically cancelled and your credit card will not be charged, and/or your money will be refunded.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by this delay.
Sincerely,
The Guest Service Team
Toysrus.com and Babiesrus.com

****end paste****

Edited by MrBlackCat
  • Like 1

If you care, cancel it and buy from AtGames. It's fifteen dollars more. They shipped quickly and it is a neat product.

If you don't care, wait a bit and see what happens!

These games are almost forty years old, so there's no dishonor in waiting a few more weeks.

Thanks for the suggestion... I am patient though. It really doesn't bother me in a negative way. The kid in me just had to stop bouncing off the walls in anticipation for a few minutes. :D

Besides, if I can't find something else to do until it gets here... I think I might qualify for being a wiener head...

th_11-14-2016_Flashbacks_zpsq8srmrez.jpg

Still can't wait to add this one to the Tower of Retro Shame. :)

MrBlackCat

• Like 3

MrBlackCat,

Where's the Flashback 2+ !?

Sure they replaced the good Activision games with "sports", but it is a real Atari-On-A-Chip on the inside, like the Flashback 2.

I still hope one day someone figures out how to get the missing A12 signal because then it would run every game and cart.

The chip with the roms is right there.

Who's got a 2+ and an oscilloscope?

It contains Millipede which has Superchip RAM. Millipede fails from the actual cart connected because the A12 line was "corrected" by the factory and the correction broke it, or so I understand.

• Like 2

MrBlackCat, on 14 Nov 2016 - 7:30 PM, said:

Thanks for the suggestion... I am patient though. It really doesn't bother me in a negative way. The kid in me just had to stop bouncing off the walls in anticipation for a few minutes. :D

Besides, if I can't find something else to do until it gets here... I think I might qualify for being a wiener head...

th_11-14-2016_Flashbacks_zpsq8srmrez.jpg

Still can't wait to add this one to the Tower of Retro Shame. :)

MrBlackCat

That's Awesome!

I must also confess...Your tower is a lot bigger than mine... :grin:

• Like 1

I started a compatibility list. If you have one of these units, please contribute!!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258970-atari-flashback-portable-compatibility-list/

As soon as my portable comes in I'll see if I can add to this.

Everyone's different of course, but I'd happily pay the extra $20 just to NOT have to deal with crowds and stupidity on the day after Thanksgiving! We don't recognize Black Friday, we observe Buy Nothing Day instead.

Totally agree. I was advised to wait for the close out sales but this product was too cool.

Puts my tower to shame, although I do have a Atari Flashback 2 +.

And I don't see any paddle editions there for the Atari Flashback line, like my Flashback 5 is. :)

You never went into a Dollar General during their sale to buy a Flashback then, since it's a ghost town.

I believe that I bought my Atari Flashback 3/4/6 and the Coleco and Intellivision versions there, and don't think I ever saw another customer.

Most of this stuff is online as well these days anyways, which is more what I'm thinking about when I inquire about potential Black Friday deals. At worst you just find that something is sold out or the website is being bombarded and won't do anything.

You'd expend more effort getting up and going to the fridge for a snack. :)

Edited by Atariboy

Heh, cool. I don't have that store near me, and never really think about it ... except when AtGames stuff rolls into town on its holiday schedule.

Dollar Generals are everywhere in the deep south. It's like a redneck Walmart, cropping up in many towns way too small for an actual Walmart.

• Like 3

That's sort of beautiful ... if a lot of wasted space! Do you unpack and play them, or just collect?

And how is the Arcade Master Genesis stick? That's kinda appealing to me because of the form factor. I assume it's the usual crap sounding Genesis, but in a fun case.

Beautiful... Hehehe. Is it possible for video games to waste space? :)

I have some duplicates in there like the knockoff FB2, an extra new FB3, wired and wireless FB5's.

The majority of the boxes are empty (I save some boxes for things like this) however as all the units are in a cabinet I made specifically for these systems. I will add an image below.

The Arcade Master Genesis stick is equal any of the others... but I bought it for the SD Card slot and with the intention of making a small table top console from it. Not my idea though, I have seen it done on various internet sources before.

MrBlackCat,

Where's the Flashback 2+ !?

<snip>

I don't have the Flashback 2+... I have looked at them for the potential mod, but it isn't very high on my list of things to convince myself I need. :)

I have several sets of paddles, but only one FB that came with them, but I bought that one used and it had no box.

This is my design choice for a Flashback (and other mini-consoles) cabinet... got a couple of slots left, but I can always swap some out. :D

th_IMG_20160718_200907_zpsoexbla7j.jpgth_IMG_20160716_143453_zpst1lwfmly.jpgth_IMG_20160718_201213_zpsxscoyxbm.jpg

I can't wait to be installing my Nintendo Classic in here. :)

MrBlackCat

• Like 3

Beautiful... Hehehe. Is it possible for video games to waste space? :)

I have some duplicates in there like the knockoff FB2, an extra new FB3, wired and wireless FB5's.

The majority of the boxes are empty (I save some boxes for things like this) however as all the units are in a cabinet I made specifically for these systems. I will add an image below.

The Arcade Master Genesis stick is equal any of the others... but I bought it for the SD Card slot and with the intention of making a small table top console from it. Not my idea though, I have seen it done on various internet sources before.

I don't have the Flashback 2+... I have looked at them for the potential mod, but it isn't very high on my list of things to convince myself I need. :)

I have several sets of paddles, but only one FB that came with them, but I bought that one used and it had no box.

This is my design choice for a Flashback (and other mini-consoles) cabinet... got a couple of slots left, but I can always swap some out. :D

th_IMG_20160718_200907_zpsoexbla7j.jpgth_IMG_20160716_143453_zpst1lwfmly.jpgth_IMG_20160718_201213_zpsxscoyxbm.jpg

I can't wait to be installing my Nintendo Classic in here. :)

MrBlackCat

Holy cow dude, that is freaking sweeet!

IMO hooking up anything that's not a Game Boy Player or Super Game Boy up to the TV behind that glass is doing the cabinet an injustice! :grin:

• Like 1

Holy cow dude, that is freaking sweeet!

IMO hooking up anything that's not a Game Boy Player or Super Game Boy up to the TV behind that glass is doing the cabinet an injustice! :grin:

Actually that is what it is used for most of the time. I love my handhelds, but as my eyes age this is used more and more for just that.

th_IMG_20160716_202519_zpsgcbby8hw.jpgth_IMG_20160716_202347_zpswqhjwtvz.jpg

MrBlackCat

• Like 2