IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

$203 for a flashback with a cherry picked ROM collection (that AA members helped curate) preinstalled on SD card. Been following the auction for a while it was teetering at ~$60 USD, then slammed with last minute snipe.

Un-freakking real: :???:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262750669177

I am in the wrong line of work!

Then again, more power to him/her...Ya know?

You can't be mad because you didn't think of it first...

If we ignore the obvious (ROMs) and consider it work for clever wording and doing the ummm "Pre-Configuring" then who are we to judge? If nobody bid then he'd be stuck with it...So maybe people shouldn't have bid....Then again...Victimless crime as far as I'm concerned...It's not like he started at $200...

• Like 2

I am in the wrong line of work!

Then again, more power to him/her...Ya know?

You can't be mad because you didn't think of it first...

If we ignore the obvious (ROMs) and consider it work for clever wording and doing the ummm "Pre-Configuring" then who are we to judge? If nobody bid then he'd be stuck with it...So maybe people shouldn't have bid....Then again...Victimless crime as far as I'm concerned...It's not like he started at $200...

, I agree. It may make you mad because you're familiar with this, but with that same criteria we can also say the same thing about people who set up your computer or install antivirus or whatever. Just because it's easy to do and you know how to do it doesn't mean it's not worth some value for someone to do it for another person, or that everybody knows how to do this...

• Like 1

$203 for a flashback with a cherry picked ROM collection (that AA members helped curate) preinstalled on SD card.

I'm pretty sure it's the exact same list of ROMs posted up here at AtariAge in the Atari Flashback Portable topics.

I'm surprised to see it went for that MUCH. Craziness. There is already someone else selling a similar setup at the bargain price of $150 (even the wording in the listing is almost identical). LOL. And the seller of the $200 portable is now selling "custom" SD cards filled with the same 500+ games. Bid up to $26 so far!

It's awesome he was able to get such a magnificent return on investment. It's unfortunate someone paid $200 for something they could have had for under $40 and 10 minutes of their time to setup the SD card. More power to him, but I certainly hope the buyers wise up a bit.

• Like 3

Here's something I wrote/quoted from the other topic...

For some reason (I'm going to go with lack of sleep...That's my catch-all) I thought I was on this thread... :)

gambler172, on 16 Dec 2016 - 12:42 PM, said:snapback.png

and next I want a 7800 flashback handheld

HELL YEAH!!

Delmoko, on 13 Dec 2016 - 1:10 PM, said:snapback.png

I just got mine today at Toys R Us for $29.95.

It works great, and I really appreciate the rom zip list!

It appears i have a dead pixel on my screen.

That's gonna drive me crazy. Anybody else have this issue with theirs??

I think if you've got a dead pixel and it bothers you, you might have to return it.

Mine arrived safely in its box and it stayed in its compartment...I mention this only because someone else said theirs got bounced around...

And At First, I thought I saw what could only be described as a "video tear", maybe 10 pixels long or so...(Yes like something you'd see in a VHS tape!)

But when I took off the adhesive screen protector, it totally went away...So I guess it was just that protective plastic causing the illusion of a video tear...

I don't know if anyone else has noted this yet, but ToysRUs had these on sale for 30 bucks today. I ended up picking one up even though I originally intended not to (I have a Gopher unit from years back and was not super impressed by either the emulation or build quality of it).

It's... alright. I mean, it has a lot of the same problems that the Gopher did, but I can't hate on it too hard given that there are very few products like it. Having that SD card support may well mean I spend more time playing on this than on the Flashback compilations on PS4.

Speaking of the emulation, did anyone else notice this curious detail? In Missile Command, there is a horizontal line in the middle of your missile base. The only other place I've ever personally seen this curious anomaly is on my Flashback 2. Given the unique nature of the Flashback 2, I'm really curious and puzzled by this.

I'm pretty sure it's the exact same list of ROMs posted up here at AtariAge in the Atari Flashback Portable topics.

I'm surprised to see it went for that MUCH. Craziness. There is already someone else selling a similar setup at the bargain price of $150 (even the wording in the listing is almost identical). LOL. And the seller of the $200 portable is now selling "custom" SD cards filled with the same 500+ games. Bid up to $26 so far!

It's awesome he was able to get such a magnificent return on investment. It's unfortunate someone paid $200 for something they could have had for under $40 and 10 minutes of their time to setup the SD card. More power to him, but I certainly hope the buyers wise up a bit.

Yeah that $200 could have bought a 2600 with fully loaded Harmony cart and still enough funds left over to buy a couple homebrews from the AA store.

The real "work" performed here was the good people of AtariAge for assembling this ROM collection. Then the eBay user downloaded said zip file (I am unsure if non-forum users can download attachments?), bought an SD card, unzipped the ROM collection previously posted here onto said SD card, and inserting it into the system.

Same applies to selling a pre-loaded Raspberry Pi box. It's a lot of work to configure a Pi rig, but once you've got a solution set up, you can flash it to multiple Pis and sell them "preloaded" for a 200% upcharge. Nevermind bundling ROMs with a Retro Pie setup is a serious violation of TOS agreement, but that never stopped anybody. Peeps releasing these hobby projects have to protect their own asses...

It's the same price at Toys R Us, both online and in stores.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=96047666&prodFindSrc=search&cp=#findItInStore

With something built with the lack of quality of this thing (bad power light on mine, dead pixel on another in the forum, control pad that doesn't always go the direction it should on another guy who posted here...was that you, maybe?), it would be important to me to be able to exchange it in an actual store for a different, possibly better working unit.

Yeah, I get some phantom presses in different directions - mostly to the left and up. Still, there are plenty of games it doesn't impact and for only $30 the purchase just makes sense to me even with some of the problems.

I don't know about that, but I know eBay has some sort of policy against selling ROMs and/or flash carts.

They don't enforce it very strictly now, unlike the past. I can go look right now and find all sorts of pirate stuff.

Yeah it's definately against eBay TOS. Someone should report those bozos. It's really no different than someone selling a Wii or Xbox pre-loaded with pirated software... :roll:

Someone should go and "sell" the roms for the cost of the SD card.

I think the word "custom" sucks people in. Makes it sound like specially tailored work has been done to make the card work.

Specially tailored work was done, by the AtariAge community no doubt, and not a dime was charged for releasing the downloadable zip file. So in a way, the seller of the SD cards is "stealing" the work of AA members who tested, curated, and renamed the files within the collection, as well as the work of bitd programmers who designed these games, and the companies who own the IP.

Edit: I just reported this joker for selling "media containing unauthorized copies of software or video games" :roll:

• Like 3