IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

You better take care not to feed 5v back into the UDLR inputs.

Oh fart. I'd suggest putting diodes on the pins to prevent a VCC signal but then grounded inputs would only put out 0.6V instead of zero. That might be an issue. You could also use resistors as a voltage divider but those have other issues.

I'd still like to know if the modder loads an Atari test ROM, if the Flashback emu can properly handle U+D or L+R inputs by using Paddle, Driving, or Starplex controllers. There won't be any voltage issue with paddles assuming pins 5, 7, and 9 are disconnected.

Load a test ROM, plug in a pair of paddles to the modded jack, press both triggers, and see if both L and R inputs activate on the test screen.

Isn't the "doctor.bin" a PAL demo? (2008 Trilobit, right? ...and it's in STEREO!)

Yes, it is pal demo that works fine on the pre-production models, but so far has not worked on production models. And the same goes for Omega Race. I would be interested to see if any production models can play "doctor.bin" correctly. If so, then there were differences in production.

• Like 1

I was hoping so, but I exchanged the first one for another, and it was exactly the same.

I think that some folks are just a lot more discerning when it comes to sound quality for these clone consoles. I have read many, many complaints about the sound from the Sega and NES clone machines. Some folks refuse to play them because they think the sound is just too off, yet when I play one I think, "Eh, close enough."

• Like 3

I was hoping so, but I exchanged the first one for another, and it was exactly the same.

I think that some folks are just a lot more discerning when it comes to sound quality for these clone consoles. I have read many, many complaints about the sound from the Sega and NES clone machines. Some folks refuse to play them because they think the sound is just too off, yet when I play one I think, "Eh, close enough."

The sound on mine would go in and out. I'd have to fiddle with it a bit and sometimes it would sound a bit distorted if it was in between working and not. Today, I opened it up and found some bad solder joints, so I re-flowed them and now it works great. The sound emulation isn't 100% perfect, but it's pretty darn good. You can hear just how close it is by playing A-VCS-Tec Challenge. It does a really good job with all those tones. Again, not perfect, but darn good. :) If you don't mind opening yours up, perhaps you should check the solder joints around the volume dial.

• Like 1

Yes, it is pal demo that works fine on the pre-production models, but so far has not worked on production models. And the same goes for Omega Race. I would be interested to see if any production models can play "doctor.bin" correctly. If so, then there were differences in production.

The Doctor Demo works on my production unit. I tried both the "VCS" and "Emulator" versions of the ROM and surprisingly, they both work great. Also, both the Omega Race DC and Joystick hacks work fine on mine. :)

Edit:

Probably not the best place to share this, but while I'm at it... I had a hard time seeing the ball in RealSports Tennis on my portable, due to the color of the ball being too close the luminance of the court. So, here's a hack that changes up the colors a bit. I also made a couple of other minor tweaks to fit my aesthetic preference.

Original:

post-9364-0-30710600-1482225594_thumb.png

New Colors:

post-9364-0-81023400-1482226717_thumb.png post-9364-0-00125200-1482226732_thumb.png

RS Tennis .bin RS Tennis alt .bin

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 7

Dunno, you tell us. Load up this demo and let me know if you can see the text on the bottom of the screen scroll by. And by see I mean see all the text.

One thing I've been noticing is on this demo, and Omega Race the bottom of the screen is kinda clipped off.

My production unit shows 1/2 the text on doctor.

Tapper has the whole entire lower table off of the bottom of the screen!

Does Tapper show entirely on the pre-production ones?

Did you try it using ear buds? If the sound improves, then it may just be getting used to the tinny sounding speaker...

I didn't, and I've already returned it. I wish I knew how to describe what I was hearing. There was static, and an interference type sound in the menus and when pausing. I could learn to live with that, since it's not in game. But sounds in game we're often more...scratchy than they should have been. Yars Revenge is the best example I can think of. The sound was so obnoxious in that game, that it made me not want to play it.

Yes the bottom table of Tapper is off the screen on mine too.

Thank you. I wondered if a larger screen would show more of the game.

I would have to assume the pre-production models would show a bit more, but probably not the whole game.

I find it amazing we have this new, buggy emulator at the exact same time when Stella is is finally getting a more accurate TIA emulation that will fix most if not all of the display differences between Stella and real hardware, like the Meltdown prototype, the garbage shown on the left in the 32 character text kernel, the "0" on Pole Positions Speed Bar, the table edges near the bartender in Tapper...

• Like 1

I didn't, and I've already returned it. I wish I knew how to describe what I was hearing. There was static, and an interference type sound in the menus and when pausing. I could learn to live with that, since it's not in game. But sounds in game we're often more...scratchy than they should have been. Yars Revenge is the best example I can think of. The sound was so obnoxious in that game, that it made me not want to play it.

And the Yars' Revenge explosion sound, through a stereo with powerful subwoofer, is a transcendent event!

The E.T. landing sound was always inferior in emulation to the real hardware. This new TIIA in Stella may finally fix that, but the Yars' Revenge explosion is much more important!

• Like 1

Look at the thumbnail he used. Now that's just being lazy...

s-l600.jpg

I reported this auction a couple times but Ebay didn't seem to care. The winner has 0 feedback and bid high enough that several idiots bidding on it couldn't win. Now the same 0 feedback bidder is winning the re-listed auction. I'm not sure if that is a shill or just someone f-ing with the seller.

I reported this auction a couple times but Ebay didn't seem to care. The winner has 0 feedback and bid high enough that several idiots bidding on it couldn't win. Now the same 0 feedback bidder is winning the re-listed auction. I'm not sure if that is a shill or just someone f-ing with the seller.

What a D-bag. I hope he has to eat his seller fees for breakfast... :ponder:

I reported it also, but I guess eBay doesn't care about copyright violations.

Uhm.. I don't like what je does either, but you do know that copyright stands besides the fact if a person makes money or not, right..? Meaning if you downloaded the roms, etc yourself, you are also violating copyright... just saying...

And the Yars' Revenge explosion sound, through a stereo with powerful subwoofer, is a transcendent event!

The E.T. landing sound was always inferior in emulation to the real hardware. This new TIIA in Stella may finally fix that, but the Yars' Revenge explosion is much more important!

Basso Profundo indeed. Sounds great in the car.

Uhm.. I don't like what je does either, but you do know that copyright stands besides the fact if a person makes money or not, right..? Meaning if you downloaded the roms, etc yourself, you are also violating copyright... just saying...

Apples and oranges. One thing to download a ROM for a cart you own already, quite another to sell ROMs for profit off of someone else's work...

• Like 1

Elsewhere, it has been said that PayPal has a no-nonsense, zero tolerance for flashcarts, multicarts, backup copies etc. While I would assume the cousin company eBay has too, in any case the seller ought to be instantly flagged by PayPal when he receives payment for a SD card full of ROMs, in particular as he keeps relisting it all the time.

I presume PayPal's philosophy isn't going to change any time soon, which makes it tempting to contact them to keep an eye on a seller like the above.

Apples and oranges. One thing to download a ROM for a cart you own already, quite another to sell ROMs for profit off of someone else's work...

Yes, because we all own the thousands we download huh? Please, don't be a hypocrite... it's not apples and oranges, we're talking about the vioation, not the making money issue...

Sure, but if you're downloading them yourself, you're doing so at your own risk.

Turning around and selling those illegally obtained files for massive profit is a totally different matter.

• Like 4

No, I am talking about the making money issue, and so are the others.

Your argument isn't convincing to me. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I don't need to convince you of anything, and there is really nothing debateable about this... you either believe roms have copyright or you don't. If you don't neither you or the ebay seller are doing anything wrong. If you do, you are both violating copyright, period. This is not debateable... (the fact that he additionally does MORE stuff wrong by alsomselling them is a seaparate issue).

(the fact that he additionally does MORE stuff wrong by alsomselling them is a seaparate issue).

But that's the issue we were talking about until you rode in on your high horse. No one is saying the seller shouldn't download or possess ROM's. Just that he shouldn't be trying to profit on them. Additionally, he's breaking Ebay's TOS.

• Like 2