IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

For anyone interested:

Report Category: Copyright and trademark

Reason for Report: Bootleg records or unauthorized media

Detailed Reason: Software loaded onto a device without an accompanying license agreement, manual, or documentation.

Took me a little while to find it.

• Like 1

Opened my Christmas presents a little bit early B)

With the screen problem, if you hold the unit sideways, I think you might notice what happened. It looks like they accidentally used a screen designed for portrait mode instead of a landscape one. It's not too bad in most games, once you get used to it, but I wonder if a cheap replacement could be found. (actually, you could probably mod the screen itself, but this task is NOT for the faint of heart)

I see what people mean about the sound, it's a little "grating". Perhaps someone more familiar with audio drivers would know how to clean up the circuit with a filter or something.

Only other nitpicks, the buttons aren't great, and it's a little distracting to have it say "P1-HARD" in the corner the entire time...but the emulation is pretty decent considering, and with SD support, all for $32, it's hard to complain.

It's just amazing that it took this many decades to come out =)

Lately I've reported a few sellers for selling ROMs they obviously don't have copyright for, but eBay doesn't seem to care.

Perhaps they would listen if we only had a louder voice.

• Like 1

Finally got the portable flashback. Played a few games on it for a few minutes. Now the red button doesn't work. What the hell. I owned both of the Sega handhelds from ATGames and had button problems with those also. I guess I thought this one would be different. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

I hate to see anyone have problems with something like this...But I do remember AtGames track record. Until the Flashbacks, I had only bought a GENMobile from them. It was sort of a portable Genesis with a cartridge slot (no SD slot). And the cartridge slot wore out almost instantly which really sucked and I haven't bought the version with the SD slot because (among other things) The ROM of my favorite Genesis game (Ultimate Qix) plays much faster than the cartridge version...

My advice is if anything goes wrong, return it to the seller immediately...I hope AtGames gets the message that they need good Quality Control! So far, other than that GenMobile, I've had no issues with other products from AtGames...

With the Genesis Portable, you can add a DAT file (named MDB.DAT) to the Games folder to change the way your list of ROM names is displayed and even show boxarts or screenshots in the SD selection menu. I don't think this was a widely known feature (at least not mentioned in the manual). I'm wondering if there is a similar feature for the Atari Portable. I already tried using the DAT file from the Genesis version and editing it for Atari games, but that didn't work. I'd think there may be a way to do this, but if so, there must be a slightly different format or possibly just a different name for the DAT. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

• Like 1

With the Genesis Portable, you can add a DAT file (named MDB.DAT) to the Games folder to change the way your list of ROM names is displayed and even show boxarts or screenshots in the SD selection menu. I don't think this was a widely known feature (at least not mentioned in the manual). I'm wondering if there is a similar feature for the Atari Portable. I already tried using the DAT file from the Genesis version and editing it for Atari games, but that didn't work. I'd think there may be a way to do this, but if so, there must be a slightly different format or possibly just a different name for the DAT. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

I tried the same thing using the software for adding box art to the genesis roms. Did this with the Atari roms but it did not work for me. Hopefully someone will come up with something..

Had a portable flashback in my hands before Christmas, but the girl behind the counter at Toys R Us decided to jolly it up with this obnoxious family by engaging in a million questions (instead of simply ringing them up and sending on their way as efficiently as possible) and one of them had to do with opening a damned TRU credit card. So they applied right there, holding up the line. Great time of the year to be dicking around like that, huh? Looked around, saw a lack of cashiers, lost my patience and just left. After this experience and the way they handled the NES Mini debacle (long story, but they refused to sell me one 2 weeks after rollout, even though they were in stock), I'm done with them. Another brick and mortar store that dropped the ball one too many times.

• Like 2

Got one of these yesterday, and just got the SD card working. I had a little bit of trouble, and wanted to post to help anyone if they come across the same problem.

At first the system wouldn't read any of the cards. Selecting "SD Card Browser," it'd flash for a second, and then go back to the menu. None of the following cards worked, even after reformatting them with Windows and the formatting utility mentioned around page 3 of this thread.

Walgreens 2GB

SanDisk 16 GB Micro SD

SanDisk 2 GB Micro SD

I looked around and found a SanDisk 4GB SDHC, copied the "Game" folder to it, and it worked without any problems.

Edited by retrogamer73