IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "AtGames are certainly benefitting from this work."? They started over from scratch with the Flashback 3. If you mean they benefited from two prior Atari Flashbacks, then I suppose you could make that argument, i.e., it validated the market and established the product line. That was a decade ago, though. It's probably time to move on.

My meaning was certainly closer to the "i.e., it validated the market and established the product line..." however didn't they reutilise the Flashback 2 case design? It was the internals that were redone. I don't have any axe to grind with AtGames this is more for historical accuracy and that I'm in the early stages of exploring a "Flashback" type product for market, AtGames sucess (and the realtive sucess of the Spectrum ZX Vega here in the UK) gives me more confidence . Even recent console/computing history seems to be revised in favour of the market "winners" , a good example of this is the Amiga CD32 :)

Barnie

My meaning was certainly closer to the "i.e., it validated the market and established the product line..." however didn't they reutilise the Flashback 2 case design? It was the internals that were redone. I don't have any axe to grind with AtGames this is more for historical accuracy and that I'm in the early stages of exploring a "Flashback" type product for market, AtGames sucess (and the realtive sucess of the Spectrum ZX Vega here in the UK) gives me more confidence . Even recent console/computing history seems to be revised in favour of the market "winners" , a good example of this is the Amiga CD32 :)

Barnie

I'm not sure how much of the case design was re-used. I haven't done a direct comparison between the 2 and 3, but I think other than the basic shape of the top unit and having the same button layout, everything else is different, from the dimensions to connector placement. Not knowing the details, I can only assume that the design rights either remained with Atari when the contract ended or AtGames made enough changes and created new molds where there was no issue with replicating some of the look of the previous product.

A slightly off tangent question for you Bill: Presumbly "Flashback" is not a brand on its own? Considering the Colecovision & Intellivision models its not exclusive to Atari based products or for that matter Atgames?

It is AtGames branding. AtGames Flashback Zone (AFZ), Flashback Classics, Flashback, etc. I'm trying to get them to change the Sega branding for next year to that as well.

Wasnt the Flashback originally Curt & Co's idea or was it Atari that came up with the name. Either way did Atgames need to make a license agreement with Atari: Who manufactured the first 2 flashbacks for Atari?

I'd like to contribute to this discussion, but first, barnieg, are you asking because you are contemplating naming your own gaming product as "[X] Flashback"? If so, I'd have to recommend against it; it helps no one to do that. You end up obfuscating your own company's identity, and you risk backlash from your intended audience. There are plenty of other words to use to convey a similar idea, e.g., the Namco Nostalgia systems that I own, the EA Replay and Taito Memories anthologies, etc.

onmode-ky

I'd like to contribute to this discussion, but first, barnieg, are you asking because you are contemplating naming your own gaming product as "[X] Flashback"? If so, I'd have to recommend against it; it helps no one to do that. You end up obfuscating your own company's identity, and you risk backlash from your intended audience. There are plenty of other words to use to convey a similar idea, e.g., the Namco Nostalgia systems that I own, the EA Replay and Taito Memories anthologies, etc.

I think he was just asking a question. Look at this list and tell me which one doesn't belong:

Atari Flashback

ColecoVision Flashback

Intellivision Flashback

Sega Genesis Classic Game Console

onmode-ky

No I wasn't considering the Flasback name more about what it represents, its seems it has gone from branding a specific Atari based product to a brand for the "AtGames" line of retro products.

What I am looking into my self is very much market & technical research what is viable etc.

I was involved many years ago with the "Phoenix Developer Consortium" something that formed post Commodore Amiga years. Learnt a lot of things then particularly about failure and how much effort it takes to get something to market. Biggest lesson of all was beware that not everyone will be as committed via time and money, that was a very costly lesson!!

Barnie

• 2 weeks later...

The portable Atari 2600 looks awesome! :)

Target has the Flashback 7 console unit and has a link to preorder the portable at Gamestop here.

I'm impressed with the quality of the official Atari emulator, looks as good as Stella from what I've seen on earlier Flashback models with the emulator core released after the Model 2.

If someone picks a portable up before I do please test these two games on it:

StarBlitz_Double_Fun_V2.bin

DodgeIt_PA_RC1.bin

They use different backswitching schemes from 1981 and 1983 respectively so at least one should work on the Atari portable. They also push the hardware pretty hard and break apart on some Stella installations (inconsistent performance), but I'm hoping they will run great on the official Atari emulator since they are only using vintage technology:

These games were written using the new Atari 2600 BASIC Programming available on CD for Windows that lets you build Mario World style blitter games with no special support chips (the Blitter chip is written in software just as it was originally modeled on the Apple II). I'd like to make sure the IDE fully supports the official Atari 2600 Portable, but I'll need to confirm at least one of these two games runs as is.

(BASIC Programming is a simple to use BASIC like back in the 80's for anyone daunted by the complexity of bB, but it lets you optionally use the modern style GUI designers for graphics like bB if preferred).

• Like 1

If you're willing to be a bit patient, you'll likely have no trouble in November getting one for $40 or less. I think I've typically spent $30 each year during the AtGames era for each Atari Flashback, minus perhaps two years ago when I bought the Sam's Club edition with the paddles.

Edited by Atariboy

I'm okay with $50, I'm just wondering if AtGames changed the MSRP or if GameStop just has their info wrong.

Definitely not going to be patient for this one =) If the Atari portable is anything like the Sega portable, it will be long out of stock by November.

I'm okay with $50, I'm just wondering if AtGames changed the MSRP or if GameStop just has their info wrong.

Definitely not going to be patient for this one =) If the Atari portable is anything like the Sega portable, it will be long out of stock by November.

Actually, MSRP is usually $60. It typically retails for $40. It's quite possible that retail price will be $50 for this go round. It's all on what the retailers set. There's some wiggle room for them, and I'm sure we'll see the usual holiday promotions where it will be quite a bit less.

Also, for what it's worth, I was given all of the review hardware late last week. I won't be able to post any reviews though until I'm allowed to. The hardware is final, but there still may be some tweaks to the final game lists that are present in my hardware.

There's also a surprise in the works for later in the year, which I'm of course not allowed to say. Nevertheless, it looks like this year it won't just be the four hardware products publicly revealed already. I'll try to let everyone know when the reveal for that is coming.

• Like 7

There's also a surprise in the works for later in the year, which I'm of course not allowed to say. Nevertheless, it looks like this year it won't just be the four hardware products publicly revealed already. I'll try to let everyone know when the reveal for that is coming.

I is intruiged.

Actually, MSRP is usually $60. It typically retails for $40. It's quite possible that retail price will be $50 for this go round. It's all on what the retailers set. There's some wiggle room for them, and I'm sure we'll see the usual holiday promotions where it will be quite a bit less.

Also, for what it's worth, I was given all of the review hardware late last week. I won't be able to post any reviews though until I'm allowed to. The hardware is final, but there still may be some tweaks to the final game lists that are present in my hardware.

Ok for the record (and to torture my brain while I try to figure out what this additional product is before it's revealed) the four publicly revealed products are:

1. Atari Flashback 7

2. Atari Portable

3. Sega Portable (with saving functions)

4. ?

What is 4? I'm assuming you are talking about At Games only releases so this can't include the infamous Nintendo Flashback?

Ok for the record (and to torture my brain while I try to figure out what this additional product is before it's revealed) the four publicly revealed products are:

1. Atari Flashback 7

2. Atari Portable

3. Sega Portable (with saving functions)

4. ?

What is 4? I'm assuming you are talking about At Games only releases so this can't include the infamous Nintendo Flashback?

4. is the Sega Classic Console, which is the Atari Flashback 7 equivalent.

Any news on digital releases? How about mobile? I seem to recall you teasing some news on that side of things. I guess that mostly took the form of Direct2Drive ROM packs.

Kinda neat we will have all this stuff in about six weeks.

Any news on digital releases? How about mobile? I seem to recall you teasing some news on that side of things. I guess that mostly took the form of Direct2Drive ROM packs.

Kinda neat we will have all this stuff in about six weeks.

Yes, more stuff is being worked on, but other than the 4 + 1 hardware releases and the 2 Xbox One and PS4 SKUs (Atari Flashback Classics Vol. 1 and 2), that should be it for new stuff this year. There will be additional hardware and software in 2017, and at least PC stuff is definitely on that list.

• Like 2

Ooh! This sounds exciting! Thanks for the info, Bill! :)

I hope it's a collection of Odyssey 2 games for mobile, with perfect touch controls (shut up haters), including the entire Challenger Series such as Pick Axe Pete, Freedom Fighters, Attack of the Timelord, and KC Munchkin! :D

It's hardware, otherwise that's a brilliant idea sure to make into the three figures. ;-)

But seriously, I would be curious who owns all the rights to the Odyssey2 library. I really do think that system was underrated from a pure playability standpoint, and The Voice is amongst the coolest speech synthesizers of the era. Since there was so little third party content, I imagine that big pile of first party games is sitting with a single rights holder (maybe Philips still) just waiting for something to be done with them (legally).

It's hardware, otherwise that's a brilliant idea sure to make into the three figures. ;-)

But seriously, I would be curious who owns all the rights to the Odyssey2 library. I really do think that system was underrated from a pure playability standpoint, and The Voice is amongst the coolest speech synthesizers of the era. Since there was so little third party content, I imagine that big pile of first party games is sitting with a single rights holder (maybe Philips still) just waiting for something to be done with them (legally).

Ed Averett owns all of the rights to KC Munchkin, arugably the killer app for the O2 that Atari had banned in court.

His latest release KC Returns!, an educational rendition for modern systems, is available from Microsoft.

Philips owns them, and a while back allowed this Videopac emulator onto the Google Play store. Small discussion here and an interview with the developer (who did some Videopac games) here.

Triple digit sales would probably be a stretch goal. :-(

Ed Averett owns all of the rights to KC Munchkin, arugably the killer app for the O2 that Atari had banned in court.

His latest release KC Returns!, an educational rendition for modern systems, is available from Microsoft.

Have you tried it? I find it unfathomable. It's possible it's too smart for me, and I prefer the dead-simple O2 stuff instead. Ed Everett's old games were the best.

It's free to try but it's more like a chemistry lesson than a video game. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/kc-returns/9nblgggzpw4k