IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

Sounds like it's better to get a psp and memory card and play a 2600 emulator then. PSP's can be had for about 60 including shipping and a memory card can be had for under 10 dollars if you don't mind a memory card duo micro sd card convertor. Otherwise a 8 gb one is 20 dollars most of the time, but if you just play 2600 then you won't need one that big.

Everybody should do what they want, of course, but I think there's something to be said for supporting the kind of thing you like.

Sony isn't going to make anymore PSP hardware and the batteries on them won't last forever. Nor do they make any money when you buy a PSP and use it to play Atari ROMs. Similarly, Atari will probably not license out the old games anymore if it's not profitable to do so.

The competition for commercial game emulators is piracy, so they'll never have as complete a selection as a download from the internet. Even so, I'll buy one of these AtGames units, warts and all, to send a small message that I still like the games and am willing to pay for them. It's not a lot of money.

• Like 3

http://www.bestbatt.com/Sony-PSP-1200mAh-Battery-Pack-p/bbpsps110.htm

These are supposed to be good replacement batteries. Also, the Atari compilations never have any of the games I want. Mario Bros, Pacman, Ms Pacman, Joust, Dig Dug. Also the homebrew Pacman 4k. They might work on this portable one but the dpad is probably not good. The one on the genesis system was pretty bad and the psp dpad is much better.

• Like 1

Off topic:

The PSP2600 is stella 2.7.2 as far as I have been able to learn.

Stella 3.1 or later is required for DPC+ games like Space Rocks :(

If anyone has an emu that plays Space Rocks on the PSP let me know.

I guess the only way to know is to try it out. It would help if we knew what version of stella they ported.

Edit: This one seems further along than stella tho.

http://wololo.net/downloads/index.php/download/893

As someone who collects physical homebrew, I can assure you this isn't the case for lots of games. A lot more than Pitfall II and DPC+ homebrews are confirmed not working. Many games with 4k ROMs or vanilla bankswitch without extra RAM or coprocessor, bitd or otherwise, still refuse to work. :ponder:

That is some awesome emulation going on there if it can't even handle all the vanilla 4k games. It speaks the the quality of the emulator and not the game(s) being complex to emulate. Oh well, maybe next time.

• Like 1

There is a atari compilation for psp tho, if you wanna get something official.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/playstation-nation-1000002/atari-classics-evolved-list-26138673/

No Space Rocks but buying a psp is a wise investment. You can play some classics on the UMD or you can emulate 2600 and several other systems. There are now signed emulators that work on psp without hacking it so you don't even have to mod your console if you don't want to.

Here's the signed emulators:

http://wololo.net/emulators-for-the-psp-ps-vita-the-ultimate-download-list/

If you do decide to get a psp then get a 2000, 3000, or psp go. The 1000 models have less ram and the emulators can use that ram for better emulation.

Edited by Moo

I don't really remember any major differences between the 2000 and 3000 other than for the longest time the 3000 couldn't be hacked. But now all psp's can be hacked. If you hack your psp go you can run any umd game so it'll still have use if the store goes down. Plus it has 16 gb memory built in. Also it lets you control it with a dual shock 3 if you wanted to. 2000 and later also have tv out option so you can pretty much use the psp go like a console.

Edit:

Looked into it, 3000 has a better brighter screen and a built in mic.

Edited by Moo
  • Like 2

Even so, I'll buy one of these AtGames units, warts and all, to send a small message that I still like the games and am willing to pay for them.

I'm sure they'll have no problem selling them. They keep putting out Genesis units every year with terrible audio, but they keep flying off the shelf. The handheld ones always vanish immediately.

Hopefully next year is better, but for now, I have both Atari collections for the DS, and the Activision one for the GBA.

What are the finer differences between the 2000 and 3000?

Wikipedia has some decent info on the topic. IIRC, the 3000 has a brighter screen, but as a side effect, it's much easier to notice what looks like interlacing artifacts.

I can't find info on that Sega Genesis portable player this year. I found a gamelist on a youtube video but there's no games listed that use saves. And I heard, I think here, that 3 games that save were included in this.

This is the link with the list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dOIAtXPsZs

If anyone knows about the list do you know if saves work on sd card games too?

Edited by Moo

I can't find info on that Sega Genesis portable player this year. I found a gamelist on a youtube video but there's no games listed that use saves. And I heard, I think here, that 3 games that save were included in this.

This is the link with the list:

If anyone knows about the list do you know if saves work on sd card games too?

The game list and hardware is the same as that found on the Classic Console. More info here: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/

I should have the Sega portable review done by the end of this week if all goes well.

No, there is no save game facility from the SD card. Only the three included RPGs have save game functionality.

I'm sure they'll have no problem selling them. They keep putting out Genesis units every year with terrible audio, but they keep flying off the shelf. The handheld ones always vanish immediately.

You're probably right, but that always amazes me that they seem to sell through ... wouldn't you think they'd reach market saturation by now? Such that everyone who wanted a portable Genesis got one?

If I can play Titan Axe on it, I'll buy it. Will it support DPC+ games?

Almost certainly not, from the sound of it. That game is bananas ... Golden Axe on the VCS!!!

• Like 2

You're probably right, but that always amazes me that they seem to sell through ... wouldn't you think they'd reach market saturation by now? Such that everyone who wanted a portable Genesis got one?

Almost certainly not, from the sound of it. That game is bananas ... Golden Axe on the VCS!!!

My feeling is that these sell so consistently because these are in the "disposable" gift/toy category, so I bet the same people buy new versions every few years.

No DPC+ games.

Call me a dreamer, but I'm holding on to the hope that Bill's test unit wasn't 100% complete and the portable might still play Berzerk etc.

Even if it doesn't, I'm pretty sure the other Flashbacks don't have Berzerk (unless you mod a FB2), so- worst case scenario, nothing lost.

• Like 1

Call me a dreamer, but I'm holding on to the hope that Bill's test unit wasn't 100% complete and the portable might still play Berzerk etc.

Even if it doesn't, I'm pretty sure the other Flashbacks don't have Berzerk (unless you mod a FB2), so- worst case scenario, nothing lost.

It's definitely almost final. A few tweaks were definitely made between my unit and the final retail unit (which I should also receive before release), but it didn't sound like there would be many, if any, compatibility tweaks. Unfortunately, the SD card functionality was not considered a priority feature by engineering, so game compatibility via that functionality was not prioritized. I'll try to help change that attitude for next year.

I've never even heard of Titan Axe. Sounds like it is dope and insane.

Idunno, it reminds me of a certain game on a certain Intellivision Flashback =(

Bill, do you have any influence with the Genesis version? I'm hoping they can add save support for SD card games too. For all types of saving. I also hope they fix the audio.

No save game support for SD card games. No fixed audio. Sorry. Unfortunately, there won't be mass architectural changes until next year's products (and one limited release potentially next month).

That's what I meant, I hoped they would add save game support to next years genesis systems.

Well, it's pretty much a lock to have save state support for next year, but I'm not necessarily sure if that would apply to cartridges or SD card ROMs at this point.