IGNORED

The future is now...

I'm a fast paced businessman who is always on the go. I need to stay in constant contact with my people so that I can buy high and sell low at a moments notice, but there is a problem... How can I stay in touch? Am supposed to lug around a computer wherever I go so I can send emails? Not likely. If only there were some type of magical device I could carry in my pocket and send an email with nothing more then the touch of my fingers. Believe it or not this device does exist and has existed for years!! Behold the Shark MX email for your Gameboy. It's so simple all you need is your Gameboy, the Shark MX, a length of phone cable, and access to a land line. It could not be more simple. But how do you type you ask? There is no keyboard you say. Well lets be honest keyboards suck. They are so cumbersome, there are so many buttons you can never find the letter your looking for. Well they solved this problem too. You simply move a cursor around over a bunch of letters and select the one you want. Now that's the best way of typing an email that I can think of. But such a powerful device would cost hundreds of dollars you say. Well it should and it would be worth every penny. I got mine at a thrift store for .25 cents so good luck finding a deal like that.

There you have it, like I said the future is now. If you don't have one of these items yet get one or be left in the dust. We are embarking on a world where everyone will be connected with a single handheld device that they can keep in their pocket and that my friend is a world I want to live in.

post-33349-0-00235700-1468045544_thumb.jpg

post-33349-0-46901600-1468045603_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dripfree
  • Like 12

That is really cool! There were so many odd and unusual Game Boy accessories (like a sewing machine and a blood glucose meter) but this is one that I had actually never seen before. It's a shame that the Gameshark BBS email service that it used has been long discontinued, since I'd honestly be pretty inclined to pick up a Shark MX and try it out if it was still functional. A nifty bit of kit though in any case, and a really interesting historical find.

Ahh but here you go we have success with the Gamecube Gamboy player.

Well the picture is upside-down probably because with the Gamecube Gamboy player the game goes in upside-down... Either that or I was holding my phone upside-down when I took it.

post-33349-0-87172800-1468203506_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dripfree

These are garbage. They were on clearance at bestbuy back in the old days. They were useless even back then. It uses dial-up and has no wifi. And is extremely slow and outdated.

Of course it is, and I'm sure the "gamesharker" service is long gone. It would be fun to hack open one of these, to modify it so you could use it for BBSing or something. I'm getting all kinds of ideas about how I could use my all-but-unused land line.

I have a gameboy camera. Wait I might of sold that. But anyohw it was not very good. I think that era just sucked all together.

I think this era sucks all together.

These are garbage. They were on clearance at bestbuy back in the old days. They were useless even back then. It uses dial-up and has no wifi. And is extremely slow and outdated.

You do realize you're on a forum based around a game console that's over 40 years old, right?

Anyway, for 25c it's a neat piece of history!

Edited by TPA5
  • Like 4

I think this era sucks all together.

You do realize you're on a forum based around a game console that's over 40 years old, right?

Anyway, for 25c it's a neat piece of history!

Yes I realize but even for back then it was bad. We should of had what we hwd now back then. And 50 years from people will be saying the same thing.

Yes I realize but even for back then it was bad. We should of had what we hwd now back then. And 50 years from people will be saying the same thing.

You know I do think your judgment is a little harsh. The game boy was a truly great system and has a ton of great games. It's easy to judge it harshly if you didn't grow up with it. I suggest you spend some time with it if you can, I really believe you're opinion may change. I do understand where you're coming from. I am from the NES generation. I used to hate the 2600. The graphics were so basic compared to the nes I almost found it unplayable. I usually couldn't even figure out what to do... Hell it took me a little bit to learn to operate the machine. Now it has realy grown on me but it did take me a bit to get there.

That being said the device in this topic does suck and probably always did. I find it hilarious that they even produced this item, I'm not sure what their target market was hence my sarcastic original post. Im glad they did make it and im glad I got it for a quarter. Honestly I wouldn't pay much more.

Edited by Dripfree
  • Like 1

A business man on the go would use the Atari Portfolio (1989), it had a modem expansion module, portable acoustic coupler and software available for it.

atari%20Portfolio_zpshiwyqvxm.jpg

Anyway, here's my GB Shark MX (European version) and yes it used to work, release date 2000.

Game%20Boy%20World%20Port_zpstkkyqn4n.jp

game.com and modem/software 1997, so the GB Shark MX was definitely NOT 'the future is now'.

Ok, you had to fill a second pocket with the modem, so the Shark MX was more travel friendly (Hey as a business man, you'd carry a briefcase anyway).

tiger%20game%20com%20modem_zpsisdqzjcm.j

Other 90s portable internet devices: Palm, Apple Newton, Nokia 9000 to name a few.

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...