IGNORED

Bosconian for the 8-bits

MrFish

The word for his different play style is "better".

I just had a philosophical problem with letting all the people die but one when the goal of the game was to save humans.

Yeah, weird, I know. I actually tried his approach and did better, but I didn't use it enough to master it.

He used some other tricks as well.

Even if I had mastered his technique, I didn't have hours to play in the arcade anyway.

Every one is different, currently I'm playing Mario Odyssey on the Switch and its just SUPERB but I approach it from a go every where, shoot every thing style while others just stick to the main path and miss out on all the lovely little extra's, yet if you gave me an rpg like the old Final Fantasy's on the Snes then I wanted to just get through the game fast. Put me on Zelda and then I'm back in full explore mode.

Its just how we approach games, even with games that reward you for exploring you get gamers that just want to power through them.

You sound like the type that would like Skyrim.

My brother seems determined to explore every inch of that game.

I'm more of a Civilization addict. Strategy stuff appeals to me.

An occasional FPS frag fest is fun too though.

Asteroids was probably my biggest addiction when I was a kid.

@AtariLeaf have you image of Atarimax cartridge (.bin, .car) ?

@Stefan Both Bosco128 have better tittle,hscore screens, better enemy sprites,explosion ,all have black border and 4 colors+transparency (64Kver only 2+transparency), HSC screen (SELECT on title screen), speech+right panel

Bosco64 have extra music for game over, one screen for title and high score

All version have 32 levels; button START pause game, then SELECT go to title screen or START turns off pause

• Like 4

Hi shanti I've tried 3 rom files from this thread - boscoNTSC64.xex, Bosconian(NTSC),xex, and bosconian64k.xex

The only one I haven't tried is bosco64NTSCs.xex

Am I doing something wrong? All other files on my atarimax 8mbit cart seem to work just fine. So I don't need to change the address?

@AtariLeaf have you image of Atarimax cartridge (.bin, .car) ?

If you're asking for my workbook file I can PM it to you. I can't get permission to upload it here

um, what happens when you try to upload to the forum?

It gives me an error something along the line of not having permission to upload a file like that, I can't remember the exact wording. A mod or Al would know better as to why but I can only assume it's some kind of automated thing that doesn't allow certain files uploaded? I can only guess.

Post here and I'll post it there, the spam bots may be over running the board, I'm sure it'll get sorted...

If it's better I can start a new thread. I don't want to trounce on the excellent Bosconian homebrew but here it is

I've been using the USB Programmer to success most of the time. Some files however don't work. You get a blank screen at boot up or crash at a boot up screen. In two instances - Mr. Do and HERO - I found I needed to change the EXE Loader Base Address to 0x0400 to get the game to load and with the homebrew of Bosconian I had to change it to 0x0300.

Is there any way to know before you program an 8meg cart which games need these address changes? Previewing them is of no help because each of these games worked fine in Altirra with the default 0x0100 but would not load on real hardware with the default address. Any hints or tips about this? Are there many game roms out there that need their default address changed to work on a real 800XL? Constantly reprogramming the cart is a bit of a pain as you try to figure out what the magic word is with each game.

• Like 1

Yeah it looks like it's time for some bot breaking login techniques, that sums it up well.

Altirra should be mimicking real hardware and should normally fail just like said hardware unless a person sets up otherwise for working and debugging their work.... strange, you may have stumbled onto something.

Edited by _The Doctor__