IGNORED

Bosconian for the 8-bits

MrFish

Last night I realized this last version is different from the last one in the game play.

It is easier. The ship seems faster and lighter, and you can do your business destroying space stations without being bothered by hard enemies at least up to stage 4.

I'm still undecided on which version I prefer. The old one is very hectic, exciting and you just try not to be killed (I'm bad at this game, I can hardly pass stage 3). The new one you can plan and go destroying space stations by shooting to the "balls".

It will be great to have a rookie, normal and expert options selection, but now I am perfectly ok and thankful just loading different binaries.

Really amazing job. My favorite game of the last 20 years (from my pov since I returned to using my Atari in some point of last year and I struggle to find a game I really enjoy playing and were not just nostalgia).

Edited by manterola

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, OK, it's a Harmony based game. Slightly disappointed - thought that level of amazing was too good to be true on just stock 2600. Awesome job still due to the TIA limitations.

To be fair there's probably nothing else that can push the 2600 further

Isn't there a cart with a fast coprocessor to do bus stuffing on the a8 too? Can't remember the name.

The unreleased Tomec cart?games

To be honest it's long overdue on the A8 to have a cart with this kind of facility :-)

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack
  • Like 2

Bosconian is really nice work shanti77 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

up to round 8: 117,630 after a couple of goes (playing 128K ver on PAL 130XE)

be interesting to see how intense this one gets :)

Just goes to show. From the 2600 through the PS4 / XBox One generation, I have and always will, suck at gaming :( :mad: :(

• Like 4

nah, you can be a gamer... You just need a clan tag and people who care enough to show you all the quirks, timing, and practice moves to get there.... ; above all relax don't get worked up, breathe normal and realize it's unreal.... you think that's air your breathing in this place? interesting...

_Edge__

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

I ditch the sticks and use the keyboard in concert with a high res high rate polling mouse with a large footprint, sometimes there are assistive functions in modern games...

for the 8 bit Atari... the good ole standard still serves quite well, sometimes a sega pad, some times kraft stick... sometime straight up big ole buttons... depends on the game... every so often it's a trackball or mouse... and a believe it or not a Roklan track stick... the right tool for the right job.... else my knuckles hand or thumb hurts.... does anybody remember the numb thumb club? sore thumb, numb thumb, what can you do, get a better joystick.. built for games that did it to you!

• Like 1

I've got a Sega 3-button, CX40 and Wico bat that all get regular use, it depends on the game for me which I'm more comfortable with. The Sega Genesis pad is the best for Space Harrier...go figure... ;) I also use a trak-ball or mouse for all compatible games, again it depends on the game which one; Missile Command I prefer a trak-ball, Operation Blood I prefer the ST mouse.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Just goes to show. From the 2600 through the PS4 / XBox One generation, I have and always will, suck at gaming :( :mad: :(

Some tips:

Try taking out the pod's individual pieces, keep away from them and use all the angles. Keep "space" clear as a priority: use forward shots on fixed objects, rear shots on flying stuff. Gets harder about level 7 and by 11 I was starting to feel the pressure!

198.580 :)

I've found the next game to review :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Some tips:

Try taking out the pod's individual pieces, keep away from them and use all the angles. Keep "space" clear as a priority: use forward shots on fixed objects, rear shots on flying stuff. Gets harder about level 7 and by 11 I was starting to feel the pressure!

198.580 :)

I've found the next game to review :thumbsup:

Good tips, I just increased my score by 30k :)

I still have ways to go to catch your score. 85,360

Edited by NML32
  • Like 1

Can any one give me some advice on getting the 64K Bosconian to run on an Atarimax 8meg cart? I get the title screen but then just a blank screen after that. It works fine in emulation. I had to change the base address to 0x0400 for Mr. Do to get it working on an 8meg cart. Would a similar change be needed for this game? All other 38 games I programmed on the cart work, just Bosconian is giving me problems.

As much as I love old games like this, I've never had the patience to learn the "patterns" some arcade games depended on, or the tricks. Plus the "you have to be right on this pixel to make that jump" stuff irritates me. I remember watching a guy play Defender and he really wasn't any better than I was, he just played it differently... and could do so for an hour on a quarter. :mad:

• Like 3

As much as I love old games like this, I've never had the patience to learn the "patterns" some arcade games depended on, or the tricks. Plus the "you have to be right on this pixel to make that jump" stuff irritates me. I remember watching a guy play Defender and he really wasn't any better than I was, he just played it differently... and could do so for an hour on a quarter. :mad:

Sorry, but that sounds like the definition of insanity, if you saw how he played it "differently" yet you keep playing the same way expecting different results? Why not play his way, it is obviously the better way...if you say he wasn't better...I'm still not sure what that means, going by your example...beyond having quicker reflexes than the next guy, being a "better" player does come down to strategy. ;)

I totally agree on the pixel-exact irritation with platformers.

Edited by Gunstar

Sorry, but that sounds like the definition of insanity, if you saw how he played it "differently" yet you keep playing the same way expecting different results? Why not play his way, it is obviously the better way...if you say he wasn't better...I'm still not sure what that means, going by your example...beyond having quicker reflexes than the next guy, being a "better" player does come down to strategy. ;)

I totally agree on the pixel-exact irritation with platformers.

I suggest you look up the actual definition of insanity.

I suggest you look up the actual definition of insanity.

Maybe you should look up the definition of "like" as in "sounds like" or "seems like." And the definitions of joking and humor.

Edited by Gunstar

I think a major difference between the gameplay of shooters vs platformers - is that - shooters are more bare knuckled, intense reaction kind of games - whereas platformers are much slower paced - and are particularly memory repetition dependent - in that you learn to do the exact right moves to progress further into the game - whereby you have to repeat everything exactly the same. Of course you do do this in shooters also - but you have greater freedom of movement - and so can wing it a lot more than in a platform game.

Of course when you compare platformers against each other - you can compare more specific details on how they do differ from each other. Same with comparing shooters - what makes you like certain ones a great deal more than the others...

A general gamer may not know why is this game so much better than the others? But a programmer's viewpoint is usually altogether different - that they usually notice the smallest details and know exactly what is going on screen and what kind of things the program is going through - already dissecting how they would go about writing a program to do the same thing?

Harvey

Every one is different, currently I'm playing Mario Odyssey on the Switch and its just SUPERB but I approach it from a go every where, shoot every thing style while others just stick to the main path and miss out on all the lovely little extra's, yet if you gave me an rpg like the old Final Fantasy's on the Snes then I wanted to just get through the game fast. Put me on Zelda and then I'm back in full explore mode.

Its just how we approach games, even with games that reward you for exploring you get gamers that just want to power through them.