IGNORED

Bosconian for the 8-bits

MrFish

This is coming along nicely :thumbsup:

I'm not familiar with the original game - what is there to expect in terms of difficulty and rounds? The game is now tougher but still fairly easy to complete the 3 rounds.

Could you add a pause key and make it reset reboots when you have time, thanks :)

I don't say this often but maybe it's a bit too hard. But coming along nicely.

I wonder though... could the game engine be adapted for Time Pilot ?

How is it a bit hard? ;) You can take advantage of the pods each having a place where they don't shoot at you and make a lot of use of the rear shot for the ships :)

If he can add the galaxain formation from the arcade (if you have mame you will see what I mean) it will be a bloody good version indeed and yes its an ideal engine for time pilot depending on how he does the collision detection as the clouds in TP won't be sprites on the Atari (well I'd think its unlikely) but the multi way scrolling would fit perfectly..

Bummer, only have a 800XL with 64k right now, can't you make it run on 64k?

You guys need to get with the new technology... and get a 130XE :-D

Hopefully there will be a 64K version too - you can at least play the previous w.i.p. It's good - and part of the current HSC round ending Sunday :)

With the vast majority of games that are coming out these days being absolutely FREE, People can spend a bit of money on the many internal and external memory upgrades available today. If you are a serious XL/XE user/collector/gamer, there is no reason why anyone with only 64K shouldn't be upgrading to 128-256K at least. If you are not a serious XL/XE user, then guess what? There will be new and old software that you just can't use and since you aren't serious, you'll get over it.

I purchased a 130XE as my first Atari years ago, only to discover that most software only used 48K of that memory and a few 64K programs. I lived with inferior versions of popular games for years, because software was mostly written to the lowest common denominator of 48K. Now that people are finally using 128K on a regular basis helps to make up for all the years of lack-luster ports of Atari games in 48K and I say make as many games requiring 128K or more as you can programmers! It's about time, It time the people with less memory get screwed instead of us with extended memory systems. People that insist on keeping only 48K or 64K Atari's can live with it or without it, as the case may be.

If you want to be stuck in 64K land, maybe it's time you found a new favorite classic computer, like a Commodore 64....buh-bye!

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

IMO the "Blast Off" graphics is unnecessary and should only be included if it comes to the point of a 64K version without the speech.

What would be nice is if the progressive speedup start was brought back, and have the speech going on simultaneous with that. With our modern timer playback methods, no reason to shut everything else down just because some voice stuff is going on.

Edited by Rybags

What I meant was, use the same timer IRQ for both. Either patch at runtime or have a similar one that's only used when the speech is occurring, then every 4th scanline or whatever the interval is, do a sample. Then on the last one of the active screen, switch to an alternate routine which does offscreen samples.

So end result is you probably end up with a bunch of duplicated code and bloat to get the result you want, but that's the price we pay sometimes.