Bosconian for the 8-bits

MrFish

Keyboard may block after you push to much keys, you can try on basic:

0 ? CHR$(125);:POKE 752,1

1 FOR A=17 TO 21:READ B:POSITION A,0:? CHR$(B);:NEXT A

2 POSITION 3,1

10 ? STICK(0),STICK(1),STRIG(0),STRIG(1):GOTO 2

11 DATA 82,84,70,77,33

Right, this is a common issue when playing in a keyboard... I remember Mortal Kombat playing in my 486 :P

OK. Checked some other games. It's the Keyboard somehow. As it's a gaming Keyboard, it should work with more than even 3 keys pressed at one time. And, actually, one direction is working, the other isn't, which makes things odd. Seems, I have to check more things ... Possibly a driver issue.

OK. It's definitely the Keyboard. Plugging a cheap Wireless Keyboard in, everything works fine.

Edited by emkay

Wow! What a great game! Thank you guys!

I am the kind of Atari collector that wants to keep the machines original. So, I'd be very grateful for a 64k version. (how about an additional 48k version?)

Bern

Please no. Why in 2016 would you want a game to fit in 48k? This caused Atari to fall behind Commodore way back in 1982. We have 4MB machines now. Please don't limit what these games can do.

• Like 4

Please no. Why in 2016 would you want a game to fit in 48k? This caused Atari to fall behind Commodore way back in 1982. We have 4MB machines now. Please don't limit what these games can do.

We have machines with gigabytes of ram and NVidia GPUs. But sometimes the point of fun is to do things for limited machines. And less memory was not a reason to fall behind Commodore in 1982.

Edited by ilmenit
  • Like 3

Cause limitation is fascination. The hole thing about using 8bit Ataris today is the limitation of the original 1979 hardware IMHO. If you want "unlimited fun", buy a PS4 or XBOX one or PC. For me, soldering is the red line I do not want to cross on my vintage Ataris.

Cause limitation is fascination. The hole thing about using 8bit Ataris today is the limitation of the original 1979 hardware IMHO. If you want "unlimited fun", buy a PS4 or XBOX one or PC. For me, soldering is the red line I do not want to cross on my vintage Ataris.

...and if I want to play the "perfect" Bosconian, I simply use my MAME Arcade Cabinet. It's really simple to install MAME on your PC together with the original Bosconian ROM. In this thread, it's all about using the limited 1979 Atari hardware.

Edited by biobern

We have machines with gigabytes of ram and NVidia GPUs. But sometimes the point of fun is to do things for limited machines. And less memory was not a reason to fall behind Commodore in 1982.

Correct. The reason was the high price of the Atari 400/800's perfect hardware design.

...and if I want to play the "perfect" Bosconian, I simply use my MAME Arcade Cabinet. It's really simple to install MAME on your PC together with the original Bosconian ROM. In this thread, it's all about using the limited 1979 Atari hardware.

Using 64k or even 128k is not "cheating". It's using the maximum that Atari gave us on those machines. I didn't suggest using a 65816 upgraded machine with VBXE. Why not limit it to 16k then since that's what the 400 had? SO many games in the 80s could have been way better, but Atari wouldn't use the 64k because of the 48k 400s. That's all I was trying to convey.

Using 64k or even 128k is not "cheating". It's using the maximum that Atari gave us on those machines. I didn't suggest using a 65816 upgraded machine with VBXE. Why not limit it to 16k then since that's what the 400 had? SO many games in the 80s could have been way better, but Atari wouldn't use the 64k because of the 48k 400s. That's all I was trying to convey.

I agree with everything you say. My Atari 400 has 48K, upgraded with the original RAM expansion from Atari. My Atari 800 has 48K and my XL has 64K. I don't like the XE130 too much cause it's a late "el cheapo"-machine with a bad keyboard and a cheap case. And I also don't like upgrading the Atari to 1MB or VBXE cause that's not an Atari anymore then. IMHO!

The latest release works fine on my 130XE, but only if I remove my RAM 576XE external RAM expansion. With the RAM expansion installed, the machine hangs right when it plays the first speech sample at the start of the game. (At the same time, the red LED on the 576XE unit turns on, indicating that the extended memory banks are in use).

Is anyone else seeing anything like this? I'm trying to figure out if it's a configuration thing, or if there's a problem with my RAM expansion.

Edited by FifthPlayer

@FifthPlayer latest >64K version had bug, here is version with patch:

It doesn't fix the problem on my system. With the memory expansion installed, I get a split second of screechy sound with the sound sample, then the system freezes. The red LED for extended memory doesn't light up.

It still works without the extra memory installed.

Edited by FifthPlayer