IGNORED

Penguin Adventure, Gradius and Super Game Module 3rd Production Status

GraziGamer

Just wanted to say how impressed I am with the Super Game Module and the OpCode releases... I purchased a module (looks to be a first run) along with the Atarimax SD cartridge off ebay, and purchased Gradius, Penguin Adventure, Warp & Warp, and Tank Battalion from the Atari Age store. Everything works perfectly. I've placed an order with Team Pixelboy, and will be doing the same with Collectorvision. I've also downloaded all the available games off the CVAddict page. I'm looking forward to future releases from all!

• Like 2

Both Gradius and Penguin Adventure work great for me. My CV is Yurkie AV modded with the skip BIOS and the pause switch. My SGM is 1st gen. Dunno what rev the motherboard is, but I'm using a standard US CV power supply.

Sorry for the many posts regarding my CV setup, but I keep leaving out info. Below is the complete summary. The edit post function seems to expire after a few hours.

So far I have had no issues with Penguin Adventure either. I am running this on a Yurkie A/V modded CV with pause, bios fire button intro skip, and power led light.

Mine is "75743 REVH2" with 3rd run SGM and standard PS.

Edited by Oldschool80skid

Well, I have found out what the issue is with Penguin Adventure crashing on my Modded CV! I have the press down on the top of the cartridge and keep steedy pressure on it for the game not to crash. If I take my hand off the cartridge, the game immediately resets/crashes.

Testing on another CV system of mine that is stock and has had minimal use over 33 years, the game plays perfectly.

So the tension of the cartridge port connector on the Modded CV is a little loose from use compared to my stock CV.

What is odd, however, is that I do not experience any problems with any other cartridge including Gradius. So I am thinking that the colored/clear cart shell used for Penguin Adventure could also be part of the issue because the solid black cart shell used for Gradius does not experience any issues.

So the question now (for me at least and maybe others once they test their P.A. carts by keeping downward pressure on them) is... is their possible a difference in the black/solid cart shell compared to the colored/clear cart shell? Even just a slight dufference like weight.

• Like 1

Well, I have found out what the issue is with Penguin Adventure crashing on my Modded CV! I have the press down on the top of the cartridge and keep steedy pressure on it for the game not to crash. If I take my hand off the cartridge, the game immediately resets/crashes.

Testing on another CV system of mine that is stock and has had minimal use over 33 years, the game plays perfectly.

So the tension of the cartridge port connector on the Modded CV is a little loose from use compared to my stock CV.

What is odd, however, is that I do not experience any problems with any other cartridge including Gradius. So I am thinking that the colored/clear cart shell used for Penguin Adventure could also be part of the issue because the solid black cart shell used for Gradius does not experience any issues.

So the question now (for me at least and maybe others once they test their P.A. carts by keeping downward pressure on them) is... is their possible a difference in the black/solid cart shell compared to the colored/clear cart shell? Even just a slight dufference like weight.

But didn't you say you tested two different Penguins and both didn't work?

Measure the distance from the end of the cart to the board is there a difference? Use a straight edge and a caliper.

A table and some 3or400 grit sandpaper would fix the end up IF this is an issue.

I said IF this is an issue. Do not sand down any carts.

So I tried that technique with my problem CV and Penguin Adventure and unfortunately it made no difference, the game still resets. I cleaned the cartridge slot, and also tired applying pressure at different angles to the cart but still no success. I would say that when I insert the cartridge into the slot it really doesn't "feel" like it goes in very far.

Hi NIAD.

My Penguin Adventure is also weird.

But i tried to wiggle the cartridge a little bit up, and vupti, the splash-screen and then the Konami logo came up.

I can only play this game if I lift the cartridge a few millimeters.

So this game works and I can play it.

Gradius works almost.

​I can play the game, but when it comes to game over it freezes with a steady sound, you can't reset Gradius, but need to turn my ColecoVision off.

But didn't you say you tested two different Penguins and both didn't work?

i'll have time later tonight to play with it more and take some measurements on the different cart shells for those who mentioned this.

Yes, Eduardo, I received a second loose Penguin Adventure cart from Al (which I sent back to him already) which experienced the same exact resetting issue as the CIB that I received. If I had pressed down and keep pressure on the cart, that second cart would have worked fine as well.

Anyway, the Penguin Adventure cart that I have works perfectly on my Stock CV and Adam Computer. Gradius works perfectly on ALL my systems. So the issue only lies with my Modded CV's cartridge connector and the colored/clear shell Peng. Adv. cart.

Interesting...I have not tested my carts extensively, but when I first plugged them in, the connector on the PCB seemed a little short to me. I will give both an extensive play tomorrow on both my CV and ADAM. I had no problems with either when I originally tried them, but did not play either for very long.

88B59297-6798-42D4-B19A-501AC158DEF3.jpg

1C951867-A8EC-4AC5-8D96-DDD082750ED8.jpg

there is a very small difference in the pcb
maybe it's enough to give some people problem

on my colecovision it work perfectly

Interesting...I have not tested my carts extensively, but when I first plugged them in, the connector on the PCB seemed a little short to me. I will give both an extensive play tomorrow on both my CV and ADAM. I had no problems with either when I originally tried them, but did not play either for very long.

this is exactly the feeling i had when i first insert the cart in my cv is missing a liitle something Edited by chart45

I'd be willing to remove the pcb from the cart so that I can test it when it is inserted further into the slot, if I could get a replacement label.

Do the labels come off easily?

if you heat the lable with a heat gun you should be able to remove it with out breaking it... and since you are a well known member here i dont see why opcode wont send you another lable or a replacement cart... sur you should ask them first..

I just want to say that I also received my Super Game Module just before Christmas, and it was well worth the wait. Beautiful packaging, and now I can finally play the great games I've been ordering from Pixelboy. I confirmed the SGM worked on both my full Adam set-up and my ColecoVision. So, I would like to thank Opcode Games for bringing the SGM to life, Atari Age for taking the shipment orders, and also Team Pixelboy for being one of the sources of games that take advantage of it's abilities. Now, I have to add some CollectorVision games to my collection and keep an eye out of Opcode's other upcoming releases...

if you heat the lable with a heat gun you should be able to remove it with out breaking it... and since you are a well known member here i dont see why opcode wont send you another lable or a replacement cart... sur you should ask them first..

If a replacement label is offered I'll definitely try it out. That said, Ed has already said to wait until he's back in the US so happy to wait until he's had a chance to figure out a way forward.

• Like 1

I had a similar problem last year as NIAD with a couple of carts from Luc. I decided to replace the cartridge connector and never had this issue again.

I believe those were the carts with the split connector for the last connector. I had that issue also. I don't think these carts have the split pin, and they work fine in the machine that had the issue with the split pin. The fix for this was soldering 4 pads together, image on the left.

Colecovision cart with split pins, and how I fixed it.

I believe those were the carts with the split connector for the last connector. I had that issue also. I don't think these carts have the split pin, and they work fine in the machine that had the issue with the split pin. The fix for this was soldering 4 pads together, image on the left.

Any new Megacart games from Team Pixelboy or Collectorvision have the 6 (new version of board - like the picture on the right) sets of pads shorted, so there shouldn't be any issues.

• Like 2