IGNORED

Creating .wav files in Xroar

BassGuitari

I'm trying to create .wav files for some TRS-80 Color games to put onto actual cassettes (I'm a bit of a masochist that way). But I'm having a bit of trouble and the Xroar documentation hasn't been especially helpful. Any of your guys have any pointers?

(I'm trying to do this with .cas files, BTW. But if you happen to know of a way to do it with disk images, that'd be cool to know, too. :-D )

What compiler would you recommend for the cas2wav C source?

TBH the whole reason I started messing with Xroar was because I'd been hitting so many dead ends with cas2wav utilities and I'd heard--on Steve Strow's youtube channel, I think--that Xroar and possibly other emulators could be used to create .wavs.

With BASIC programs it seems pretty simple--you could probably just load the .cas file into the emulator and save it to an audio recorder. Not so simple with auto-booting machine code programs.

Update: I think I figured it out!

For anyone else who might be interested, here's what I did:
1. Under File -> Cassette, make sure Rewrite is checked.
2. Under File -> Cassette, click Output Tape, then choose the folder or directory you want to save your .WAV file to and enter the name you wish to save the file as, and be sure to suffix it with ".wav." The .wav part needs to be part of the filename. Example: guardian.wav (Bear in mind that this .wav file currently contains no data since nothing's been written to it yet.)
3. After you've saved your output tape (.wav file), mount and CLOAD or CLOADM the .cas file you wish to convert to .wav. With rewrite enabled, doing this writes the audio to the .wav file you created in Step 2 as the .cas file is "playing."
4. Presto, .wav file! Make sure you close the emulator, or at least that the emulator isn't using the file, or your audio player won't be able to run it. Now, I just figured this out a few minutes ago and came straight here to give the low-down, so I haven't actually tried to run any of my .wavs on my Color Computer yet, but so long as they aren't bad dumps (don't know why they would be?), they should work!