IGNORED

TK-II-STEREO Board (Incorporates Dual Pokey, U-Switch, PS/2 Dual Keyboard)

mytek

17 hours ago, pilot@pilotpirx.pl said:

With a  PIC16F1847-I/P installed my keyboard respond to reset key only, is it something wrong on my build or its normal? Can i remowe PIC16.... and keep my atari keyboard fully funcional? Thanks again for all advices

On the PS/2 keyboard, press CTRL+ALT+X one time when the Atari is powered up. This will set TK-II to a mode that will allow both the PS/2 and the stock keyboard to work. You only need to do this one time, because the setting is non-volatile.

It has been suggested that I make this the default setting on a freshly flashed PIC chip, which is a good idea and will likely happen on the next firmware rev.

https://ataribits.weebly.com/tk-ii-manual.html

Edited by mytek
corrected the command sequence and added manual link
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 2:11 PM, pilot@pilotpirx.pl said:

Hey, TK-2 is connected, L and R audio connections are coming from pin 2 and 9. I got a bit of a lag between sound from TV output and TK-2 Output, is it normal?

This sounds like a delay caused by extra signal processing in your LCD monitor. Your picture is probably delayed by an equivalent amount as well. Try a different monitor, or best try a good ol CRT monitor for lowest latency.

• 1 year later...

So I built one of these, but really only for the dual pokey aspect.  My 600xl keyboard doesn't work with the unit plugged in, is this because it's only looking for PS2 keyboard.  I have no interest in a external keyboard, is there a way to disable this, or least allow the internal keyboard to work.  I erased the Pic but assuming it's still effecting the internal keyboard connections.

42 minutes ago, Starfire said:

So I built one of these, but really only for the dual pokey aspect.  My 600xl keyboard doesn't work with the unit plugged in, is this because it's only looking for PS2 keyboard.  I have no interest in a external keyboard, is there a way to disable this, or least allow the internal keyboard to work.  I erased the Pic but assuming it's still effecting the internal keyboard connections.

It defaults to PS/2 only keyboard mode on first power-up of the PIC. Needs a PS/2 keyboard to toggle that function (CTRL+ALT+X) which is a nonvolatile setting (only have to do it once). Since a person who buys the TK-II usually would do so for the purpose of using a PS/2 keyboard, I never thought of this as being a problem. However you are the 2nd person I know of who only wants to use the Stereo aspect with their stock Atari. At one time I really wouldn't have thought someone would do so, since Lotharek was selling his simple stereo board at a very cheap price.

Yes as @Peri Noid stated leave the PIC out if all you want is stereo.

• Like 1

After all the work I've done to this 600XL, how great it is to listen to stereo pokey's, as a big fan of chiptune this brings a tear to my eye, especially knowing it's all being played on the original hardware.  Some day I'll have to do this to my original 1200XL, anyhow it works great!

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 3/1/2022 at 5:59 PM, Peri Noid said:

Just remove the PIC chip. It's not needed for stereo. Actually you can remove almost everything except for Pokey sockets and control wires for stereo. I have such a config in one of my units. 

What is absolutely needed to use this only for the stereo mod? I am building one like that and would like to only install the needed components. I’ll build a fully functional one later.

Thanks!

10 hours ago, JGRAHAM2 said:

What is absolutely needed to use this only for the stereo mod? I am building one like that and would like to only install the needed components. I’ll build a fully functional one later.

Look at the schematics: https://ataribits.weebly.com/uploads/5/8/8/6/58865739/tk-ii-stereo_main.pdf You can skip everything that deals with the PIC, so PIC itself, the C2 cap and the D1 diode.

• Like 1