IGNORED

Security through obscurity

unixlinuxiosguy

From a security standpoint I really like the openwireless.org and pirateboxes. Not for illegal, immoral or fattening use but to lose that ' I feel like I am watched" and you are feeling! From reading as well as experiential situations I have found a prolonged undesired 'program'. This is in special projects parts of fedora (wiki-fedora) and subsidized by the largest of the companies if you catch my drift. There is an IP address per person essentially . That is why I am very happy to see people setting up Guest AP and Tor networks (instructables Guest AP Tor project). Because xfinity and Comcast have three wireless networks and four Ethernet ports each with a separate IP address . There have been lawsuits against this and the people won. From confidential sources I know of many more even class-action suits are on the way. How does this fit on? Well, I used to have a great commodore system using packet radio at that time on a ham band. Living in Philadelphia then and even better now a dedicated system running on the minimum resources with the guest Tor router and AP would be great for security as well as helping those who do not have access to Internet and you may be helping a neighbor that has children that really need it for school or giving a stay at home mom or dad the opportunity to work from home. This can be set up with a commodore, an Atari or Vic even a Pi! The pirateboxes is the coolest embodiment of the idea where the same type of equipment is used and placed on a non license needed radio band probably with a benfang(AP) radio with just enough distance to not interfere with anything like a gmrs, stormbringer I need your input on this. I used in the past a completely self contained solar powered units some placed on billboards high up and some on roofs of abandonminiums. At Drexel for instance some friends and I used an old satellite wiring setup and gave us a great repeater and helped a couple homeless people the ability to use the Internet and believe it or not, two families were actually able to rise above the homeless desperate circumstances they were in. This is probably not the norm of course. I've even seen wireless dead drops as such for many people to access data and get some use out of the old equipment that was on its way to the recycle center. I hope this little intro brings out some cool wireless gaming opportunities.

Not such a reply as an addendum. On instructables there is a fantastic instructable on using openwrt to create a wireless dead-drop. This is not as fattening as it sounds. This is actually a fantastic way to make a great start to an 'undernet'. This may mean several things, and I am not referring to the dark web, but a separate web that parallels the Internet and allows friends or those who are looking for hotspots and places to create a repository for files of any type to be safely archived for future seekers of knowledge that may still be useful or may not. But I know I would love to be able to access data without my brother looking over my shoulder or determine that the technology or data or media should be destroyed. This would be a fantastic alternate cloud storage system where if you post something if a bbs old style type were started that a potential employer wouldn't see and give you a bad mark on your permanent record. I am sure this is already being done but I haven't had time to look for them, but a true open wireless.org would be accessible with the password openwifi. These could exist on many different frequencies and at first would be mostly by word of mouth. 2600, blacklisted411, phrack, PLOA and even mainstream forums like this one. Hopefully more people will join in and make a great 'undernet' that could be used in countries where internet is highly filtered and anyone using it becomes part of a list as I probably am for having dreams of an uncensored Internet "again?".

I definitely deserve that! If one can believe what i am about to say, please do. I started out thinking tthis was going to be a short, maybe a paragraph or two, but when i got rolling it became a stream of conciousness.

I tried to make it feel like a strem of ideas that eventually would be wrapped up. Whether i got that effect , i am not sure. Reading it in the light of day, i believe i failed in my attempt, and made a a 'wall' of text as it was so clearly put. I will not do that agin, for i would like people to actually have fun reading and learn something from my rants. thank you all!

Because xfinity and Comcast have three wireless networks and four Ethernet ports each with a separate IP address . There have been lawsuits against this and the people won.

There's only one internet-facing IP address, and Comcast can associate it with the account holder of the person paying the bill. The terms of service specify that you are responsible for securing this, and are responsible for what happens on your service. None of your efforts to obfuscate what is behind that address changes that fact.

I hear you like "stream of consciousness" wall-o-text. Here's some more:

h. Damages. EXCEPT AS SPECIFICALLY PROVIDED IN THIS AGREEMENT, NEITHER COMCAST NOR ITS AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, CONTRACTORS, DISTRIBUTORS, LICENSORS OR BUSINESS PARTNERS SHALL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES OR UNDER ANY LEGAL THEORY (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, TRESPASS, CONVERSION, TORT OR CONTRACT) HAVE ANY LIABILITY TO YOU OR TO ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY FOR THE FOLLOWING LOSSES, DAMAGES, OR COSTS:

(1) ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, TREBLE, PUNITIVE, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSSES OR DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF EARNINGS, LOSS OF BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES, PERSONAL INJURIES, OR DEATH) THAT RESULT DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY FROM OR IN CONNECTION WITH (a) YOUR RELIANCE ON OR USE OF THE XFINITY EQUIPMENT OR THE SERVICE(S); (b) THE INSTALLATION, SELF-INSTALLATION, MAINTENANCE, FAILURE, OR REMOVAL OF THE SERVICE(S) (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY MISTAKES, OMISSIONS, INTERRUPTIONS, COMPUTER OR OTHER HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE BREACH, FAILURES OR MALFUNCTIONS, DELETION OR CORRUPTION OF FILES, WORK STOPPAGE, ERRORS, DEFECTS, DELAYS IN OPERATION, DELAYS IN TRANSMISSION, OR FAILURE OF PERFORMANCE OF THE SERVICE(S), THE XFINITY EQUIPMENT, OR THE CUSTOMER EQUIPMENT, OR ANY OTHER MISTAKES, OMISSIONS, LOSS OF CALL DETAIL, E-MAIL, VOICEMAIL, OR OTHER INFORMATION OR DATA); © THE USE OF XFINITY EQUIPMENT OR CUSTOMER EQUIPMENT TO PROVIDE THE SERVICES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES RESULTING FROM OTHERS ACCESSING CUSTOMER EQUIPMENT,COMCAST’S NETWORK, OR THE CONTENTS OF YOUR TRANSMISSIONS MADE THROUGH THE SERVICE(S), OR YOUR USE OF FILE SHARING, PRINT SHARING, OR OTHER CAPABILITIES THAT ALLOW OTHERS TO GAIN ACCESS TO YOUR COMPUTER NETWORK. OR

(2) ANY LOSSES, CLAIMS, DAMAGES, EXPENSES, LIABILITIES, LEGAL FEES, OR OTHER COSTS THAT RESULT DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY FROM OR IN CONNECTION WITH ANY ALLEGATION, CLAIM, SUIT, OR OTHER PROCEEDING BASED UPON A CONTENTION THAT THE USE OF THE XFINITY EQUIPMENT OR THE SERVICE(S) BY YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY INFRINGES UPON THE CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS, PRIVACY, CONFIDENTIALITY, COPYRIGHT, PATENT, TRADEMARK, TRADE SECRET, OR OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS OF ANY THIRD PARTY.

Not a problem! One can see that at 3 am I was obviously venting about some things that were on my mind. My brother is a copyright/ tax lawyer and described some things to me that I did not quite understand in legalese. I will take your advice and I thank you for your comment as more people will do the same I am sure.

I as well as a few others have had problems with network security to the tune of over five thousand dollars. I do not blame xfinity nor Comcast! It is up to the consumer to protect their own networks.

While I may have misunderstood the actual proceedings for the lawsuits, at the time I just used them as examples. I do believe that I did say that. I guess I just wasn't exposed to the literature that's was guoted later, and about the three wireless networks. I did notice the different I.P. Addresses on the Ethernet ports and for some reason only one works to access the Internet and I found many others after googling that who have the same problem.

Undernet laboratories, a supporter of (openwireless.org) helped incredibly and I want to thank them. Also after we have our I.p.'s tattooed on our wrists, hopefully we don't look back and say , "what happened to our free access without tracking and hacking?" By whomever. Thank you again for your comments and next time I will try not to type everything on a three inch cellphone screen.

Not a problem! One can see that at 3 am I was obviously venting about some things that were on my mind. My brother is a copyright/ tax lawyer and described some things to me that I did not quite understand in legalese. I will take your advice and I thank you for your comment as more people will do the same I am sure.

I as well as a few others have had problems with network security to the tune of over five thousand dollars. I do not blame xfinity nor Comcast! It is up to the consumer to protect their own networks.

While I may have misunderstood the actual proceedings for the lawsuits, at the time I just used them as examples. I do believe that I did say that. I guess I just wasn't exposed to the literature that's was guoted later, and about the three wireless networks. I did notice the different I.P. Addresses on the Ethernet ports and for some reason only one works to access the Internet and I found many others after googling that who have the same problem.

Undernet laboratories, a supporter of (openwireless.org) helped incredibly and I want to thank them. Also after we have our I.p.'s tattooed on our wrists, hopefully we don't look back and say , "what happened to our free access without tracking and hacking?" By whomever. Thank you again for your comments and next time I will try not to type everything on a three inch cellphone screen.