IGNORED

POKEY Music ?

emkay

Well, music is always a matter of taste. But music also has dependecies. If they're not correct, music goes off.

I had some spare time and created tunes myself in RMT patch 8 and edited them to fit to Altirra, using the non linear mixing. So on the real thing, it should sound even better.

The rule is still: Real Atari possibilities. Tunes usable for any game, demo ... whatever...

Which means: 1 x VBI programming , 1 POKEY.

Well , the spreaded frequency range makes it sound better .... clearly.

I'll start with this one...

and put some variation behind ...

Edited by emkay

Interesting effects, even more so that they are single VBI 50Hz effects.

Well, that's a part of the demonstration. Due to the filter FX it sounds somehow like 2xVBI. Not to say, you listen to a - in no other POKEY tune - used instrument combination with that clean sounding in pitch and style.

If people like the music, or not, doesn't matter, as people could always produce their own stuff for their own taste. They show that POKEY in the A8 can do much more , even with low CPU usage.

I'll add two other candidates.

One:

Keep in mind that it is 15kHz sound in the "guitar", no clocking changed in this one. Just playing with the pitch , using different filter offsets in one instrument.

Edited by emkay
  • Like 2

The trouble is as you yourself said is that music is personal in taste and no matter how technical the sound may be its lost to me if I simply don't like the tune.

Unless a tune has that hook then it can almost be like some of the mindless drivel of today where what seem like random noises are played against a beat and a organ moving bass line. For me I took to C64 stuff more when I heard it because it seemed that most authors were focusing on creating sound alike instruments playing interesting music, after a while I heard Atari authors following suit and avoiding plink plonk for instrument style music that wasn't simple but performed around an ideal of an enjoyable recognisable musical treat.

I personally like many music styles but its more about the composition than the wall of sound...

Edited by Mclaneinc

The trouble is as you yourself said is that music is personal in taste and no matter how technical the sound may be its lost to me if I simply don't like the tune.

Unless a tune has that hook then it can almost be like some of the mindless drivel of today where what seem like random noises are played against a beat and a organ moving bass line. For me I took to C64 stuff more when I heard it because it seemed that most authors were focusing on creating sound alike instruments playing interesting music, after a while I heard Atari authors following suit and avoiding plink plonk for instrument style music that wasn't simple but performed around an ideal of an enjoyable recognisable musical treat.

I personally like many music styles but its more about the composition than the wall of sound...

One of the tunes I like most , using the arpeggio pling ;) , is the tune from Ninja. Zybex is still nice to listen ... and so on. It's nice to have that on the Atari. But it starts with Draconus , when you have a bassy tune without basses. Even worse, some coders put that tune together with a dancing disco girl animation. Technically impressive, but ... Also , the Draconus tune is an e-guitar tune. So it was all dropped, the e-guitar and the bassy part. At this state, it really seems possible to have a clean Draconus tune with a bassy part.

And, what's really a problem of music creation with the 8 bit resolution: You can easily create some short music cycles, but if you do further composing in a track, it can end up like a steel rope crossing a street. Making you immediately stopping and skidding over the rope, because one note is out of place.

The RMT Patch 8 helps a lot, to have the right notes in place. The filter/modulation also helps, to keep the sound right. It's just that faster tunes get hard to create, because the filter adjustment takes real time.

RMT Patch 8 helps a lot with the pitch correction of some 1.79MHz tones, so you could play fast instruments using those, and play longer lasting instruments with filter/modulations.

Referring to the taste of music, people don't see the need to have this "100%" emulation, to have "100%" results in the editor of RMT, because they either do use fully different software, get satisfied with some sst-pling and or shovel all CPU into creating some usable sound. So, nothing new here.

As the better Notation in RMT Patch 8 offers new possibilities, there were new borders to work on. That's one cause for this thread.

Edited by emkay