IGNORED

google street u thing gone...asshats!

Jinks

I am sick of these modern consoles that have apps that keep getting taken out after a couple years like 3. The google street 3d thing you could use your controller to see the world is gone.

It was a neat program that worked better than a phone or computer to navigate.

I dunno.. I am done buying new consoles.

In 20 years I will be hunched in the cornor pissing my pants with a telstar or atari pong machine on a black and white tv saying go ahead update this assholes!

But then they will take power away too..who knows.

• Like 1

Short lifespans for 'free' apps like Google Street U are definitely disappointing, but I'm even more annoyed with retail games that lose server support after a short time. Devil's Third for Wii U was released at the end of 2015 and they've already announced that online servers will be shut down at the end of 2016. Multiplayer is the best part of that game, and it'll be gone after one year. It looks like Sony is gradually shutting down the Little Big Planet servers, starting in Japan, with all LBP JPN game servers disappearing at the end of this month... that includes LBP 3 for PS4 which was released at the end of 2014. The only LBP servers that will be vanishing soon for the US/EU are Little Big Planet Karting, but I think the writing is on the wall for the whole series. The LBP servers are filled with user created levels and are arguably the best part of the games. I suspect the Disney Infinity servers won't be around much longer either... also filled with user created levels.

There's a huge list of PS3/360 games that no longer have online support... including some that only had a short lifespan for online play. It's ironic when games are still sold/promoted during PSN's weekly sales even though the online servers were shut down years ago. It's like buying half a game...

Since PS4/xbone both require subscriptions for online play... presumably to maintain servers... it'll be interesting to see whether it makes any difference in the lifespan of current gen games or if they'll continue to quietly shut down servers after a couple of years.

Edited by boog