IGNORED

10" TI-99/4a monitor refurbish thread

arcadeshopper

As mine has been acting up as of late (dirty pots, volume flakey/staticy) screen quality eh.. I am going to take it apart and start replacing parts such as capacitors and clean/replace pots as needed.

Anyone have any parts lists etc to save me time and trouble? I'll be posting my findings here as well.

Greg

I'm actually about to re-cap mine, hoping for a little improvement in picture quality. If no one posts a list of parts before me, I'll post my BOM when I'm done.

You know, a "BOM Thread" would be nice. A place where people could eventually go to easily source all their parts for TI projects listed here on Atari Age or for rejuvenating P-Boxes, Consoles, Monitors, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't see this thread till now. I have one also that's been on the "to refurbish" list for years. I dont use it since I have an F18a but I'd like to refurb it and put it on my second system for guests to play on. I'll be watching this thread and posting info if I get to it first.

That is contrary to arcade monitor conventional wisdom which would suffer from the same problem if thst were true. Most recap jobs are done out of necessity though. My TI monitor is unusable as-is.

Edited to add: Plus, how can caps working within specs stress other components? The opposite should be true. I'm no expert so please elaborate if indeed that is true.

The problem with re-capping a monitor is that it can then strain the other older parts, particularly the flyback transformer. If I can't find a replacement FB then I may not do the re-cap.

Edited by Mitkraft

That is contrary to arcade monitor conventional wisdom which would suffer from the same problem if thst were true. Most recap jobs are done out of necessity though. My TI monitor is unusable as-is.

Edited to add: Plus, how can caps working within specs stress other components? The opposite should be true. I'm no expert so please elaborate if indeed that is true.

Well...capacitors lose capacitance as they age. So, new ones, holding a newly higher charge, may tip other aging components over the edge as Matt indicated.

...lee

Arcade monitors *do* suffer the same problem. Just as Lee pointed out, all the components age together, and when you replace all the electrolytic caps (of which there are usually many in a CRT monitor), they can add stress to the other aging components that are not new. This is not necessarily specific to caps or monitors, it can happen in any electronic circuit.

I did a re-cap on a GO7 for my SpyHunter and had to replace the FB, HOT, and VR transistors as well. Even with all of those being new, the new caps pushed something else over the edge and I now have a problem that did not exist previously. You would think I would have learned, but I went ahead and re-capped an Apple composite monitor just two weeks ago, and it now has a problem (and for that monitor I do not have a way to get a replacement FB).

The arcade-museum.com forums (previously the KLOV) is *very* active and great resource for arcade game and arcade monitor repair. You will see post after post from veteran repair technicians telling you that any time you re-cap a monitor you better replace the FB too.

Edit: If you have a monitor that is already not working, then you have little to lose other than the cost and time to re-cap and hope it fixes the problem. But if you have a working monitor and are doing the re-cap to try and improve the image stability and geometry, I suggest you make sure you can get your hands on a FB transformer before re-capping. Caps are easy to get, FB transformers, not so much, if at all. That's why I'm going to check the FB in my 10" TI monitor before I go ahead with the re-cap since I'm doing it just to revitalize the monitor.

Edited by matthew180
  • Like 1