IGNORED

DIY Atari 7800 stick guide?

RawSteelUT

Seimitsu and Sanwa buttons are made for 30mm standard, though some joysticks will use smaller 24mm buttons for start and select, so as to save space. Also, there's no spring mechanism in the button - the plunger rests right on the microswitch, which is why it takes so little force to actuate. They're good enough, and I can see why they're preferred for fighting games, but I find if I rest my fingers on the buttons, I accidentally push the switch. Happ/IL are still comfortable, but there's not a lot of potential for accidental button presses.

Anyway, while my stick has been amazing, I ran into a single issue - the felt pad at the bottom of the box slides around slightly when I'm using the stick. In case anyone else is having the issue, I thought I'd show you all how I solved it for cheap. The Everbilt 1 1/2 inch anti-skid pads are great; they stick easy and can handle normal play. And since they come in packs of 8, that's enough for two joysticks. Good thing, since I also had an Alan 9000 for my Master System that also had the same problem.

I'm sold on the Happ plunger style buttons with the Zippy soft touch switches. If you buy them from Groovy Game Gear, they will come with the Zippy switches as stock. Other places will sell you the e-switches then you'll have to buy Cherries or Zippys separate. The e-switches Happ sells aren't junk but they're not great either. I can achieve much higher turbo rates with the Zippy switches.

I'm sold on the Happ plunger style buttons with the Zippy soft touch switches. If you buy them from Groovy Game Gear, they will come with the Zippy switches as stock. Other places will sell you the e-switches then you'll have to buy Cherries or Zippys separate. The e-switches Happ sells aren't junk but they're not great either. I can achieve much higher turbo rates with the Zippy switches.

I put Cherries in my A7800 stick, but the Alan 9000 I picked up uses Happ's e-switches from what I can tell.. Might pick up some Zippies, see how they feel.

Actually, now that I'm here, where can I pick up a nylon actuator and the piece that the actuator rides on? I'm NOT a fan of the black plastic Happ uses. You can hear it grinding when you use it.